1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by purrin, Dec 5, 2013.
First

Back
271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280
282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291
Next

Last
  1. estreeter

Does it alter the sample rate of the source material on the fly ? My understanding is that this is the last thing Mike wanted to do. 

The NAD resamples everything you throw in its direction and converts it to a pulse-width-modulation (PWM) signal, the native format for DSD, at a sampling rate of 844kHz, all controlled by a clock running at 108MHz. It doesn't care if you want this done or not—it just does it

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-m51-direct-digital-da-converter

There are extensive blurbs on the difference between oversampling and upsampling but you've got me re the Yggy - I'm not a technician. 

2. preproman

And??

I'm sure you've read this:

http://www.metrum-acoustics.com/Design%20Philosophy%20Metrum%20Acoustics.pdf

3. estreeter
    OK - I know why i had zero sleep last night, but clearly I'm not the only one who needs to chill out. I'll rejoin this discussion when I've had some shuteye. 

4. preproman
    [​IMG]

5. purrin

Some of the SPDIF receivers on older DACs seem to be very sensitive to source. The SFD DAC I have barfs on one of my transports, does OK on another, and requires warm-up for the third. The other possibility is that the U12 could be jittery. You could try leaving stuff on for a day or two - if you haven't tried that yet.

6. Stillhart

In theory, the U12 has two TXCO (TCXO?) clocks for reducing jitter.  But who knows... I just tried my X5 coax with the Adcom and it doesn't seem to like it, but the X5 works fine on the Theta.  *shrug*  These things seem to be decently temperamental.

On the plus side, when the Theta works, it sounds really really good.  Similar to my experience with the Yggy, it doesn't have immediate wow factor, but over time you really pick up on the nuances and going back to other DAC's feels like a step down.

I also note that the balanced out from the Theta is LOUD.  I have very little play on my amp when using the balanced outputs and I'm considering just going back to RCA for that reason.

conquerator2 likes this.
  7. haywood

Not specifically relevant because I don't know that the Theta uses it, but here's a thread on the DIYAudio forum talking about someone having lock issues and replacing an old UA AES-21.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/250700-ultra-analog-aes-21-upgrade-replacement-project.html

Hopefully the new U12 replacement you get sorts things out, but if not maybe there's a relatively easy "fix" on the Theta side. And it's a reminder that vintage gear can often be great but it can sometimes be a pain too.

Stillhart likes this.
  8. murrays

You will see in that DiyAudio thread that I fitted one of those replacement AES-21 modules in my Adcom GDA-700.  It works well, but they're not cheap!

9. Stillhart
    Yeah, more than I paid for my GDA-600 (including shipping) just for the chip.  Yikes!  Fortunately, the Adcom is working well for me right now.  (knock on wood)

10. prot
    Is this one of the good Thetas?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/111647713498

11. Stillhart

Wow, that was like $50 for the last 3 days and just went up to $300 tonight...  

12. kapanak

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

estreeter likes this.
  13. Stillhart

Also some men don't know how to snipe on eBay.  Others have sock puppet accounts...

14. kapanak

In the past, when an item I wanted crossed my self-set spending limit, I would bid on it to make it more expensive for the person who outbid me. It only failed once lol ...

15. estreeter
    Now that the link has been posted here, we can expect the bidding to heat up further. 

First

Back
271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280
282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291
Next

Last