Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Oct 5, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #706 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
I have another question for the supermacro. On the 3rd/4th channel, it seems like people are using either the OPA2134 or OPA275. Are there any other opamps that can be used there?

The 8397.

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #707 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
If you can't do that, Futurlec carries the OP275P for $2.90, not bad before shipping ($4, I think). I think they pretty much ship anywhere.

Thank you very much, you just made my day. I had searched high and low for a place like that but had no luck. Some of their other prices are very good too. Already put in an order.
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #708 of 3,962
Thanks cerbie! If Dr. XIN doesn't reply I will buy from there. They have other opamps too Very good prices!

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #709 of 3,962
that is a bargain. i'd pick it up in no time!

another question, for the supermacro power swtich, there's three positions to flicker it to - up, middle, and down. switching it down means its off, but switching it to middle and up both turns on the amp and i was wondering if there's any difference.

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #710 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
that is a bargain. i'd pick it up in no time!

another question, for the supermacro power swtich, there's three positions to flicker it to - up, middle, and down. switching it down means its off, but switching it to middle and up both turns on the amp and i was wondering if there's any difference.

Straight from Dr. Xin's online SuperMacro manual:
Quote:

Power Switch and Auto-off Timer

The 3-position power switch offers another unique feature - auto off timer. From down, middle to up, it is off, auto and on, respectively. When the power switch is turned from "on" to "auto", the amp will shut off automatically. The timer is variable from 0 to 60 minutes, depending on how long you wait before you move the switch from "on" to "auto". If you turn the switch from "off" to "on" and wait for 2 seconds or longer before you turn it to "auto", the timer will be set to the longest - 60 minutes. If you wait for less than 2 seconds, then the timer will be shorter than 60 minutes; the less you wait, the shorter the timer will be, vise versa. If you leave it at "on" position, the amp will not shut itself off. Switch it to "off" position to manually shut the amp off.

Try the search feature at Xin's site for even more information about this amp.
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #711 of 3,962
I hope a review section of the latest versions of SuperMicro/Mini/Macro is strated soon. But I will pots a little observation here on my latest SM IV.

My fourth generation SM111 -> IV (four separate upgrades/modifications/etc.) was waiting for me when I came back from England last night. I have been listening for a little bit and one thing I noticed is that when listening to classical solo piano music the veil (a dull top) and sometimes "tinniness" has disappeared completely.

I'll post more later. Just want to enjoy.

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #712 of 3,962
thanks djbnh! what a feature that is. i was listening to music one night and fell and asleep and of course, the next morning i woke, the battery's dead...

as for a review thread, i'm just waiting for someone to post one. i'm not one of those that can get too technical about the sound when it comes to writing it. but i'll definitely throw in what i can. i'm still trying to get used to the sound and compare it to the PA2v2, as well as listening to different opamps and burning them in.

Oct 6, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #713 of 3,962
Oct 7, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #714 of 3,962
6/10/06 - Sent in my SM3 to be repaired (a copper battery contact was messed up)
7/4 - Received email informing me that the boards were fried, but could get it fixed for free. Also, option to upgrade to SM IV - hmmm, should I???
7/4-8/3 - A lot going on with tweaks and more tweaks, better wait.
8/4 - placed order for maxed out 100% SM IV
9/21 - email received that amp has been completely redesigned again
10/6 - email received that the amp has been sent
I can't imagine it sounding any better than it did. If it does, it will be worth the wait. Well, if counting from the time he said he got the final design worked out - it really only took three weeks like he has on his website
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #715 of 3,962
"I can't imagine it sounding any better than it did. If it does, it will be worth the wait."

Yes, it will be worth the wait. I have both to compare and what you will get will not sound like a portable amp.

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #716 of 3,962
My fourth generation SMIII - IV arrived last week. (It's been in the shop four times for the latest mods over the past year or so.) I have been listening to it off and on this week and there are some interesting differences to me that have emerged. This is not a review, but just some cursory observations between what I remember from when I sent Xin my SM for the final tweak/upgrade/modification some time back in late September, 2006 (yes 2006 not 2005!!!). They are these.

1. Whereas before the volume to drive the K81DJs with a 4th gen. iModded 60gb iPod with no switches enabled was at about 1 o'clock, it's now at 10 o'clock. More power?

2. The noticeable veil on high frequencies, especially with solo piano, has gone completely.

3. The presentation is clearer and the frequency categories (highs, mids, lows) more coherent and continuous. I often thought the mids were a trifle muddy and hard to distinguish from top and bottom, but no more.

4. I really think the soundstage is even bigger, something I thought impossible! I will need to try my rig with my AKG501s and really hear sounstage at its fullest!

5. On good recordings, I am not hearing any fuzziness (sorry not very technical speak here!!) that I would occasionally, but maybe that's more related to 2 and 3 above. But beware of poor recordings, you'll hear every flaw. I was listening to an older recording of Brendel play Beethoven piano sonatas and the veil and roll-off on the original CD are really readily discernable. Still some great perfomances though!

Sorry to disappoint if anyone was expecting a review. Plus, please remember the contrasts I list above are based on memory not side-by-side comparisons. Caveat emptor!

I sum, I think that what I have is indeed a better product. I thought it was good before, but my ears say even better now.

By the way, I never had to pay for any of my mods other than postage to Oregon. The longest I had to wait was three weeks. Yes, there were long periods of silence, but the wait was worth it.

Oct 8, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #717 of 3,962
Does anyone have an idea about the turnaround times for upgrading these days?

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #718 of 3,962
I sent my mini in September 24th, he got it around the 26th or 27th and sent it back to me by air mail on the 30th. It just got here today, I wish he would use priority mail, it is much faster. In any case he did the mods fast, but the return mail was a bit slow. BTW the mods have completely gotten rid of the attenuated highs many of us were complaining about, and the mini is sounding very good across the board.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #719 of 3,962
Is there a delay in getting amps and upgrades again? My SMIV was delivered on 6th but there is no news after that.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #720 of 3,962
Ordered Macro 7mins past mid-night 27 Sep, so just getting to the end of its 2nd week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back