Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Jan 12, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #2,251 of 3,962
The SuperMini is a great little amp. I don't use it too much but it is my favorite for size and performance though it is not up to the heights of the Reference in SQ but I do not have the latest version of the Mini.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #2,252 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Email Xin and ask him if you can change your order and to please not lose your place in line. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

IF anyone has actually done this and received a reply PLEASE let those of us waiting for product know what Zin had to say on the subject?

Regards,
Doug

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #2,253 of 3,962
Kinda hard to follow the postings - can I safely say that the April 07 Reference orders are being fulfilled?

There must be a whole lot of orders during the August 07 pre-order promotion. Anybody from that August order have received their Reference?

her shann

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #2,255 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by hershann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda hard to follow the postings - can I safely say that the April 07 Reference orders are being fulfilled?

There must be a whole lot of orders during the August 07 pre-order promotion. Anybody from that August order have received their Reference?

her shann

nope.

Jan 13, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #2,256 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well folks, after more than 10 months of waiting my Xin Reference amp has finally arrived. Exterior is nothing to brag about--standard Hammond metal case used for the Mini3. The sound without any break-in is very impressive. I read that it needs 300-400 hours of break-in but it sounds great now! I will be putting my Mini3 up for sale because the Reference blows it away.
wink.gif

can you explain to me what specifically about the Reference 'blows away' the Mini^3?
i also have a Mini^3 and am awaiting a Reference, but have doubts as to how much of an improvement the Xin amp is going to be. i like what the AD8397 does for the PK1 and RS-2, and am curious about how the Reference compares.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #2,257 of 3,962
Kaushama,

I also have the latest upgraded Supermini (as of 12/2007). I have the opportunity to trade it for an upgraded Supermicro III (4/2007). I am very interested in that trade because I've always heard comments like John's, that it is the Micro that is closest to the Reference over the Supermini. You have been one of the few that have consistently championed the Supermini. Once again, in comparison to the Reference, you state that the upgraded IV "closely follows" it. This seems consistent with news I heard a while back that Dr. Xin wanted to bring the achievements of the Reference/ Micro to the Macro and Supermini. I am hopeful of this but don't have a Reference or Micro for comparison.

Do you think the Supermini has, at last, been brought to parity with the Supermicro, bringing it as close to the Reference? I would really appreciate your help, as it will aid in my decision as to whether I go through with the trade or stay with the Supermini. Either way, I have a Reference on order. I would just like the closest thing to hold me over.

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #2,258 of 3,962
The SuperMicro III is not exactly the same as the latest version.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #2,259 of 3,962
The RE1E and RE1F are virtually the same boards so there are no sound differences between the two Reference boards. The only change was the black cap that was between the legs of the large cap on the 1E is under the board on the 1F.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #2,260 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you explain to me what specifically about the Reference 'blows away' the Mini^3?
i also have a Mini^3 and am awaiting a Reference, but have doubts as to how much of an improvement the Xin amp is going to be. i like what the AD8397 does for the PK1 and RS-2, and am curious about how the Reference compares.

The Reference amp has smoother highs than the Mini3 while retaining all the detail. Additionally, the Reference amp has a deeper bass response than the Mini3. I find that the Reference amp provides a sound closer to my Millet Hybrid Portable amp with my Shure ER4s than the Mini3 (which is what I was looking for). The Reference also has a wider soundstage than the Mini3. Bottom line, it better suits my taste or preferences than the Mini3.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #2,261 of 3,962
Quote:

The Reference amp has smoother highs than the Mini3 while retaining all the detail. Additionally, the Reference amp has a deeper bass response than the Mini3. I find that the Reference amp provides a sound closer to my Millet Hybrid Portable amp with my Shure ER4s than the Mini3 (which is what I was looking for). The Reference also has a wider soundstage than the Mini3. Bottom line, it better suits my taste or preferences than the Mini3.
biggrin.gif

It is Good news that the reference sound better than the mini^3! The question is: is it three time better than the mini^3?

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #2,262 of 3,962
Why would it have to be 3 times better? Maybe you are joking but that wouldn't make sense unless the 3 was a really bad amp. With designs these days it is hard to put out a bad amp unless you are just careless. Also what is 2 times better or 3 times? Is the depth 3X as wide and 3X as deep? It is very subjective, to a degree and then there are objective points but how do you judge an amp to be even 2X as good and place a value on that at the same time?

In a way it is like most things, the ultimate value is what the market will bare and that doesn't always mean a quantitative 2 or 3X.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #2,263 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is Good news that the reference sound better than the mini^3! The question is: is it three time better than the mini^3?

The mini3 is a great amp. I just happen to like the Reference better and to me it is worth the additional price over the Mini3. Your tastes and price-to-value ratios may be different than mine.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #2,264 of 3,962
Quote:

biggrin.gif

the impressions are appreciated...thanks.
and i agree that the Mini^3 is a very good amp, at least with my headphones.
looks like the wait will continue...

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #2,265 of 3,962
I have just heard from Dr. Xin that he has finalized the reference layout. He said 22000UF, will be the final value for the capacity. Apparently both 1E and 1F boards will be the final versions and there is no difference between two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back