This weekend I compared Lcd2 and HD650
Jul 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #17 of 44

1. mironathetin,

Well done!  I enjoyed reading your comparison.  You did a very good job of articulating the differences between the headphones to you.  

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers!

beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #18 of 44
I enjoyed the read and have similar musical tastes to the OP so found it useful. I have a pair of 650's and am seriously thinking about the LCD-2 myself, but am in no hurry. I had no problems with the text or style, this is after all a public forum and not a professional journal. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #19 of 44
Balanced and very honest comparison, thanks. I wish they were more like that on here. I also tried the LCD-2 and had in mind  to buy them on the spot after reading all the praises and hype on this forum...well,  I left empty handed. Sure they were very nice can but they left me quite underwhelmed. Maybe I was expecting too much. On a  different  note I really enjoyed the HE-500 I had on loan...
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #20 of 44
Mironathetin - great review!!  I really enjoyed the read and your perspectives.  While we very much enjoy the same type of music, my hearing "sweet spot" is shifted up from yours a few degrees.  The HD800 is my primary headphone and does not appear even remotely too bright or harsh in the highs - to me.  But I realize that isn't true for many listeners. 

I've long since parted ways with my HD650's, and I didn't keep the LCD-2's beyond a week of solid listening, but your comparisons of the two via specific instruments (especially strings) was spot on and very enlightening.  While, in the end, I didn't prefer either one of them, I can certainly agree to the sonic superiority of the LCD-2 for much of the material you mention in your review.  As was the case for you, my real reservations came through the considerations of cost and comfort - especially comfort.  Anything that makes the HD650 seem like a pillow of comfort has a ways to go in improvement still.  I'm sure the guys at Audeze will get it hammered out...and I'll be waiting patiently.

Thanks again for a great and useful review.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #21 of 44
Thank you all for your friendly remarks.
I edited the text a little and hope now also the english teachers can read it. I had these discussions already at school (and - they are kind of right, aren't they?). But then, this is a foreign language for me and I accept my mistakes.

Quote:
Balanced and very honest comparison, thanks. I wish they were more like that on here. I also tried the LCD-2 and had in mind  to buy them on the spot after reading all the praises and hype on this forum...well,  I left empty handed. Sure they were very nice can but they left me quite underwhelmed. Maybe I was expecting too much. On a  different  note I really enjoyed the HE-500 I had on loan...
biggrin.gif

zenpunk,
I don't want to say I was underwhelmed. These cans are really good. I wrote the whole long page mainly to clarify for myself, what my goals are (why not share it too?). I want an experience when I listen to music. I always hope that a new Headphone would be a much greater experience as the old one. This happened once, with the first real good cans I bought. This happened again, when I put in the V-Dac and switched from the X-Can to the Earmax.

It did not happen with the Audezes, although they sound really better than the HD 650. Maybe, like you, I was expecting too much. Understandable: we both read the forum here.
Its always good to remember and get clear, what we want. I see many people selling expensive cans (here in the marketplace) after a few days of use. This is the moment to stop and think. I did, loud.

And now I order Morrison Hotel, Audio Fidelity Gold CD, with the original dynamics right from the Master tape. Ha!

Quote:
The HD800 is my primary headphone and does not appear even remotely too bright or harsh in the highs - to me.  But I realize that isn't true for many listeners. 

I did not consider the HD 800 mainly because people say it does not harmonize with the earmax. I could not test this myself.
Which amp do you use? In your sig I find the earmax with the HD800 and the BCL in the office? Is that true? The HD 800 sounds better with the earmax than with the BCL?

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #22 of 44

Quote:
Thanks for the review OP, I thought it was an interesting and honest read!

In what way do you think that OP's review was immature? Because he did not give the LCD-2 more time? Would you consider a review that arrived at the same conclusion as OP did, but conducted over a week or longer while listening to both headphones a more mature review? Or are you - as I suspect - rather not taking well to the fact that OP did not praise the LCD-2 more compared to the HD650? I have not heard the LCD-2 myself, so I couldn't discuss anything substantive, but I believe that OP's review is an honest one and IMO if one cannot develop a clear preference for one headphone over the other over the course of a couple of hours, then the money is wasted - acquired tastes shouldn't be worth that much money to be enjoyed.

I also enjoyed the review. A pleasant change from the usual "OMG! I was up till three in the morning going through my record collection"--type hype. Very honest.

I'm one of those who graduated to the LCD-2 from the HD650. I had a little trouble at first adjusting to the LCD-2s more open sound and more extended treble, but adjustment is the name of the game with all new phones. Unfortunately I don't still have the 650 for comparison, but I have no trouble believing the OP was not overwhelmed by the differences. To me the LCD-2 is very much a refinement of the 650. The balance is similar; except for the weight (oh, the weight ...) it's quite possible on some material to mistake which one you're wearing. On some material, I say. Overall to me the LCD-2 is clearly superior, but doesn't leave the 650 in the dust simply because the 650 is such a great package. I can't think of another phone I've heard with such a homogeneous sound. If it were a speaker system you'd say the drivers were perfectly integrated. It may not be as wide-ranging as some, but what's there is very revealing, honest and above all satisfying--a big block of sound you can luxuriate in. The 650 will remain a classic long after it goes out of production.

As I think will the LCD-2, and for some of the same reasons. You could say that these two phones put the music first and impressing potential buyers second. They're both phones to live with rather than demonstrate to undiscriminating friends. To me they both get the overall balance right, something which must be extremely difficult to do as no other manufacturer (to my ears) has managed it. However, I'll cut myself off here before I go off on yet another rant about over-bright phones. Just wanted to say that to me the OPs impressions were entirely legitimate and likely to be relicated by many other casual listeners. The LCD-2s virtues take time to fully appreciate, but once you've done so there's no question that, yes, they are worth $1000 and probably a good bit more.

On the other hand, you could go without and give to the children of Biafra.  
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #23 of 44
Mironathetin _

80% of the time I listen to the HD800 straight out of the iDecco's headphone jack.  To many that sounds utterly scandalous, but I like the weight and slight texture (grain?) that the iDecco imparts on the HD800.  It may bring the mids ever-so-slightly forward as well.  When I'm listening to classical music and soundstaging is more important, then I plug into the EarMax Pro.  I think the HD800 and EarMax Pro pair quite nicely, but to each his own.

The BCL is in my office rig.  It also pairs with the HD800 very well, but I wanted it at my office for use with my more sensitive ATH cans.  I think many would say the HD800 does better on tubes (thus the EarMax Pro) but I wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly.  Many have trouble with the highs on the HD800 and the EarMax may simply attenuate or round those highs a bit so they don't offend as much....just guessing.

Quote:
Thank you all for your friendly remarks.
I edited the text a little and hope now also the english teachers can read it. I had these discussions already at school (and - they are kind of right, aren't they?). But then, this is a foreign language for me and I accept my mistakes.

zenpunk,
I don't want to say I was underwhelmed. These cans are really good. I wrote the whole long page mainly to clarify for myself, what my goals are (why not share it too?). I want an experience when I listen to music. I always hope that a new Headphone would be a much greater experience as the old one. This happened once, with the first real good cans I bought. This happened again, when I put in the V-Dac and switched from the X-Can to the Earmax.

It did not happen with the Audezes, although they sound really better than the HD 650. Maybe, like you, I was expecting too much. Understandable: we both read the forum here.
Its always good to remember and get clear, what we want. I see many people selling expensive cans (here in the marketplace) after a few days of use. This is the moment to stop and think. I did, loud.

And now I order Morrison Hotel, Audio Fidelity Gold CD, with the original dynamics right from the Master tape. Ha!

I did not consider the HD 800 mainly because people say it does not harmonize with the earmax. I could not test this myself.
Which amp do you use? In your sig I find the earmax with the HD800 and the BCL in the office? Is that true? The HD 800 sounds better with the earmax than with the BCL?

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #26 of 44

Quote:
Mironathetin _

80% of the time I listen to the HD800 straight out of the iDecco's headphone jack.  To many that sounds utterly scandalous, but I like the weight and slight texture (grain?) that the iDecco imparts on the HD800.  It may bring the mids ever-so-slightly forward as well.  When I'm listening to classical music and soundstaging is more important, then I plug into the EarMax Pro.  I think the HD800 and EarMax Pro pair quite nicely, but to each his own.

The BCL is in my office rig.  It also pairs with the HD800 very well, but I wanted it at my office for use with my more sensitive ATH cans.  I think many would say the HD800 does better on tubes (thus the EarMax Pro) but I wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly.  Many have trouble with the highs on the HD800 and the EarMax may simply attenuate or round those highs a bit so they don't offend as much....just guessing.

Thanks khatch,

from the specs the earmax should be perfect for the HD800. The sennheiser has high impedance and indeed, the earmax seems to have a good influence on hot treble.
Never understood why people think this combination is not a good one.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #27 of 44
Very nice comparison. I'm glad that I didn't have to try and read it in its original "wall of text" form though, I would have had a hard time with that I think so thanks for taking the time to edit it into more separate paragraphs
smile.gif

I have tried the HD650 a couple of times and sold it off quickly, too "veiled" for my tastes. I have always preferred my HD600 to the HD650, but lately the HD600 is not doing so much for me. Reading impressions like yours always makes me wonder if I would like the HD650 again if I gave it another shot but I think not.

I really enjoy the LCD-2 though, as much as any headphone that I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Still I wonder about the rev.2 drivers, which is what I assume you just returned. It may not be to my preferences, or it may be the one to "slay them all", it's very hard to tell without listening to it myself.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #28 of 44

Quote:
A very immature review... need more time to understand and let your tastes evolve.  It's easy to judge poor written communication skills but that's unimportant for those who has the patience to read through.

You need to get off you're high horse bud. Your written communication skills are obviously not fantastic either. "unimportant for those who HAVE the patience to read through". Not "has". Funny that you rag on the OP's words when you can't even make coherent sentences yourself.

Nice write-up OP

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #29 of 44
Well... the above comments are very interesting... at the very least. 

And they tend to support my perspective on the "new version" HD580 / 600 / 650's - that, given the right source and amp, the Senns sound as good as any phones available, including the Stax 007's and 507's. 

And... if you've seen the Headphonia review of the HE500's compared to the HD650's you'll see others have the same perspective. 

I can assure anyone... who cares to give them a try... with the modest Millett Hybrid MiniMax... they will most certainly have the same perspective. 

One of the truly great values in this hobby.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #30 of 44
Thank you OP for your impressions. I am currently seeing if I want to go down the HD650 or LCD2 path, so this was very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back