This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Jul 12, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #1,126 of 1,370
Quote:

Mine does not exhibit this behavior either. I have had no trouble with mine whatsoever, worked like a champ right out of the box.

I tested in my office with RCA male => 3.5mm female adapter.
(I did not think that Modi worked without an amp! ...)
Anyway I do not have this problem anymore
regular_smile .gif
. By cons I really miss the Magni ! There, Modi alone with the Shure SRH940 sounds just flat and aggressive.

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #1,127 of 1,370
Quote:

I tested in my office with RCA male => 3.5mm female adapter.
(I did not think that Modi worked without an amp! ...)
Anyway I do not have this problem anymore
regular_smile%20.gif
. By cons I really miss the Magni ! There, Modi alone with the Shure SRH940 sounds just flat and aggressive.

I've never tried to use my Modi without an amplifier. I don't know how that would work out. I expect you'd get an analog signal out of it, but I'm not sure how loud it would be - might be too soft.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,128 of 1,370
I purchased both the Magni and the Modi several months ago and I have a question about the Magni.

Is it "normal" for the Magni to get very warm?

The power supply for the Magni also gets very warm as well.

I had them stacked with the Magni on top of the Modi, so Magni had proper ventilation. The Magni now sits by itself with plenty of ventilation, all around, and it still gets very warm to the touch.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,129 of 1,370
Jul 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #1,132 of 1,370
I don't think it's a great idea to be listening to one's headphones through a DAC's analog outs.  That's just me, though.

You are right. This doesn't sound right.

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,133 of 1,370
Ok...so I'm a dumazz. I packed my M&M for my week vacation. But I just unpacked and realized I left the Magni wall wart.

If I can find a 16v 8w wall wart at Radio Shack will it work. I recall there being something that made easy replacement an issue.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #1,134 of 1,370
Quote:
Ok...so I'm a dumazz. I packed my M&M for my week vacation. But I just unpacked and realized I left the Magni wall wart.

If I can find a 16v 8w wall wart at Radio Shack will it work. I recall there being something that made easy replacement an issue.

I don't know, but a friend of mine ruined his Magni by using another wall wart and had to send it in for warranty. Be carefuuuul. :p

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #1,135 of 1,370
Quote:
I don't know, but a friend of mine ruined his Magni by using another wall wart and had to send it in for warranty. Be carefuuuul. :p

Quote:

Stop. Do Not Buy ANYthing At Radio Shack and plug it into your Magni. For the love of (insert your favorite Norse god here), please read the directions before you make an even worse mistake (from the Schiit Magni FAQ):

"Hey, so does that mean I can plug in some uber-special, gold-plated, cryo-treated, 85-lb 2000VA wall wart and have even better performance?
Unless you know what you’re doing, we don’t recommend that. Magni uses an AC wall wart. Most are DC. DC won’t work with Magni.

Hey, I have a buttload of wall-warts for routers, phone chargers, talking desk figurines, etc. What if I accidentally plug in the wrong wall wart?
Most likely nothing. Most other wall-warts are DC. Unless you supply Magni with AC, the relay will never connect the output to your headphones."

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,136 of 1,370
Hey guys,

I read through the last 30 pages or so and I couldnt find anyone mention anything about playing games with the MM combo. Anyone on here use them for gaming? Movies? If so how is it? I know it would be 2 Channel audio but i am interested in upgrading the sound quality of my setup. I currently have this (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374184752&sr=1-2&keywords=soundblaster+usb+soundcard) usb sound card going optical out to my astro mixamp to HD650s.

I was a console gamer now I strictly use a PC. About 40/60 gaming to general use (movies music etc). Would this be the right setup to try out in this price range (going up to $300)?

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,137 of 1,370
They will sound fine if not better, I used mine for all entertainment purposes

Hey guys,

I read through the last 30 pages or so and I couldnt find anyone mention anything about playing games with the MM combo. Anyone on here use them for gaming? Movies? If so how is it? I know it would be 2 Channel audio but i am interested in upgrading the sound quality of my setup. I currently have this (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374184752&sr=1-2&keywords=soundblaster+usb+soundcard) usb sound card going optical out to my astro mixamp to HD650s.

I was a console gamer now I strictly use a PC. About 40/60 gaming to general use (movies music etc). Would this be the right setup to try out in this price range (going up to $300)?

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #1,139 of 1,370
Quote:
Can the magni/modi setup be used with an iPod? I apologize if this question has already been answered. Probably goin to use it to run the mad dogs. Anyone have this setup already?

I don't think so. You'll probably need something like the FiiO E17 or the HRT iStreamer. 

http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/istreamer/?product=istreamer

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,140 of 1,370
Can the magni/modi setup be used with an iPod? I apologize if this question has already been answered. Probably goin to use it to run the mad dogs. Anyone have this setup already?

Absolutely. Go from 30 pin out to RCA connector and into the Modi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back