This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Jul 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,111 of 1,370
Quote:

Congrats on the headphones, the MDR7506s are a great starting point! The Magni is a perfectly good place to start for an amp, and you may find it's all you want or need.

A DAC converts your digital audio into an analog signal (which is what you ultimately need since headphones don't understand ones and zeroes). Your computer has one built in for its headphone and speaker output. A separate DAC will typically connect to your computer through either USB or optical (if your motherboard or sound card has the option) and does the conversion for you. With an external DAC your connections go: PC > DAC > Amp > Headphones

If you get a USB DAC (like the Modi for example) then it'll show up the same as an external sound card in Windows.

Thanks for the reply

Im trying to get my head around all these connections and chords. I currently dont have a sound card, so if i was to get the amp it would connect from the White and Red audio plugs to the motherboard through either optical or USB?
If i was to pick up the DAC too, it would connect to the amp using red&white cables? I think i might pick up a DAC too, as i will probably buy a soundcard in the near future. I have a feeling once i start going down this audio road i wont stop, but damn, it can be so expensive!

edit: one last question (for now), how do speakers come into all this? I currently have some below average computer speakers, which i hope to replace sometime with some better non-USB powered speakers. Im just trying to futureproof as much as i can.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #1,112 of 1,370
Thanks for the reply

Im trying to get my head around all these connections and chords. I currently dont have a sound card, so if i was to get the amp it would connect from the White and Red audio plugs to the motherboard through either optical or USB?
If i was to pick up the DAC too, it would connect to the amp using red&white cables? I think i might pick up a DAC too, as i will probably buy a soundcard in the near future. I have a feeling once i start going down this audio road i wont stop, but damn, it can be so expensive!

edit: one last question (for now), how do speakers come into all this? I currently have some below average computer speakers, which i hope to replace sometime with some better non-USB powered speakers. Im just trying to futureproof as much as i can.

If you don't have a sound card, you won't be able to connect the amp to your computer. Tho I'd be surprised to find they your computer doesn't ave some rudimentary type of sound card built in. If there is a 1/8" headphone out jack on your computer, you'll simply get a stereo mini-jack to RCA (the red and white) adapter. The mini-jack end goes to the computer's headphone out and the other end will go to the amp.

The DAC woud provide a much better option. With a USB DAC you'll connect your computer to the DAC with a standard USB cable and then you'll connect the DAC output to the Amp input. This will get you much better audio fidelity.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #1,113 of 1,370
Quote:
Thanks for the reply

With just an amp:

Computer -> (headphone jack or speaker output from motherboard or sound card, so probably 1/8 plug to red and white RCA connection) -> amp -> headphones

With an external DAC:

Computer -> (USB or optical) -> DAC -> RCA red and white cables -> amp -> headphones

If you're interested in speakers then there's a few directions you could go. You can get a headphone amp that can also drive speakers (typically fairly expensive, for example the Schiit Ragnarok at about $1500), get an amp with pre-amp outs (you'd then need either an amp for the speakers or powered speakers, but this way you could use for example the Schiit Asgard 2 to control the volume), or just split the signal from your DAC to both the headphone amplifier and a separate speaker amp or powered speakers.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,115 of 1,370
just purchased this combination to use with hd600 and my pc... i ordered rca cables to connect to the amp and the dac from monoprice but i forgot about the usb cable (which i was informed i need to buy separately).
can someone tell me what kind of usb cable i need? there's mini usb cable and there's "type b" and there's female, extension, etc on amazon.
(someone mentioned standard in another post but i'm not sure what standard is exactly)

the faster the response the better as i need to get it shipped out in pace with the other orders so it all arrives close to each other. thanks!!!!!

would this work?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=5439&seq=1&format=2

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #1,116 of 1,370
Quote:
just purchased this combination to use with hd600 and my pc... i ordered rca cables to connect to the amp and the dac from monoprice but i forgot about the usb cable (which i was informed i need to buy separately).
can someone tell me what kind of usb cable i need? there's mini usb cable and there's "type b" and there's female, extension, etc on amazon.
(someone mentioned standard in another post but i'm not sure what standard is exactly)

the faster the response the better as i need to get it shipped out in pace with the other orders so it all arrives close to each other. thanks!!!!!

would this work?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=5439&seq=1&format=2

Yes that'd work, it takes a standard A to B, same as most printers.

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #1,118 of 1,370
Quote:

would this work?

I would not recommend Monoprice RCA cables to connect the M+M stack. Why? The connectors are just too damn tight. It's not worth risking breaking something on the amp/dac just cuz you want cheapie cables. Frankly I'm not sure I'd use those damn cables for anything except to decorate the bottom of a trash can. Maybe there are other Monoprice cables that work better, but I'm not in a rush to find out.

Shiit now sells their Pyst cables on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/PYST-RCA-Cables-6-inches/dp/B00CICPTHC/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373448797&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=PYSY+cable

(Pyst: Put Your Schiit Together.)

I used this USB cable from Mediabridge:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Hi-Speed-USB-2-0-Cable/dp/B001MXLD4G/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373448994&sr=1-4&keywords=mediabridge+USB

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #1,119 of 1,370
Quote:
Thanks for the reply

IMO, if you're going down the road of buying a Magni amp, I'm not sure I see the point of avoiding the Modi DAC (or any DAC for that matter). I know it doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment, and you probably wonder why you ought to spend another $99 bucks on something you don't understand.

Let me put it this way: if you start out with noisy, flat, and crap sounding audio, an amplifier just gives you noisy, flat, and slightly louder sounding crap. If I wanted loud sounding crap, all I gotta do is call up my ex wife. Or use a mini stereo jack to pump my laptop's headphone jack into the input of a Magni amp, and hope it sounds good. Yeah, it will probably sound better. But it will be even cleaner with a DAC (whether you use a Modi or something else).

A DAC gives you a cleaner sounding audio signal to start with. So when you amplify it, you get cleaner sounding audio. The more you spend on a DAC, the cleaner it gets. There is a point of diminishing returns, that only you can determine. That point is reached by your own experimentation, and the size of your wallet. But I assure you, a DAC is not a waste of money, and as far as I can tell, even the cheapest one is an improvement over what's built into most sources by default.

Why a DAC? Well, cuz our audio is stored digitally. Vinyl records and analog tapes are largely a thing of the past (yes, I used to buy both, and some people still do - but I think that's just a novelty). When us old farts listened to records and tapes, we didn't need DAC's because the music was already in analog format. But with everything in digital format now, you need something to convert the digital music into analog music before it hits the amplifier. Hence, the need for a DAC.

The DAC is an important component simply because it's the thing that converts digital music to analog, and hence affects the quality of the sound produced. Do you want Gordon Ramsay cooking your dinner? Or are you content with a high school kid with an attitude cooking your dinner?

Ipods and laptops use cheap DAC's, just enough to get the music out of the device. They aren't totally bad, but there are a lot better quality DACs to be found. And you can spend quite a large sum on a good DAC. The Modi is by far one of the least expensive DAC's in existence. And quite frankly it does one hell of a job for the money you spend on it. You can spend more, but I think the next best DAC is going to be several times more expensive. I could be wrong, but I'm not going to spend the money to find out.

The only other DAC I've tried to date is a Pure i-20 (which is a DAC that docks an iPod into it, and is about the same money), and quite frankly the chip in the thing is too bright, tinny, and irritating to use with a solid state amp. I'm using it with my Bravo V2, and doing some serious tube rolling to find a tube that quiets down that tinny DAC. In comparison, the Modi is smooth and accurate without being tinny and irritatingly bright. But I digress.

As for speakers, well, this here is a headphone website, LOL. I think you're going to need to spend a bunch more money and visit a different website to find some speakers that rival headphones of the same price range. I understand that Audioengine builds some very nice desktop speakers, but I haven't personally tried any.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #1,121 of 1,370
Hello,
I recently bought a Modi. When I put my hand on, the sound decreases to 90%, is this normal? This does not inspire confidence....

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #1,123 of 1,370
Thank you for the reply, I wondered. I just tested the Modi quickly at home with the Lyr because-my Magni did not work, I hope to have an exchange of next week and then I'll re-test. If this continues I will contact the seller (Audiophonics for France). Looks like I have no luck so far with this combo ...

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #1,124 of 1,370
Quote:
Hello,
I recently bought a Modi. When I put my hand on, the sound decreases to 90%, is this normal? This does not inspire confidence....

Mine does not exhibit this behavior either. I have had no trouble with mine whatsoever, worked like a champ right out of the box.

Jul 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #1,125 of 1,370
Quote:
As for speakers, well, this here is a headphone website, LOL. I think you're going to need to spend a bunch more money and visit a different website to find some speakers that rival headphones of the same price range. I understand that Audioengine builds some very nice desktop speakers, but I haven't personally tried any.

I can vouch for the Audioengine speakers. I've got two pairs of A5+ models and a brother in this community recently gave me a set of A5s to give to my daughter. The A5+ speakers are outstanding and my daughter loves the A5s. Lots of bang for the buck, particularly when paired with a Modi, which is also a great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back