This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Jun 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #1,096 of 1,370
Does anyone have a pair of DT770 Premiums 600ohm and an M&M stack?
I have some 250ohm and would like to know if the M&M stack can drive the 600ohms well enough to warrant an upgrade!

=D

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #1,097 of 1,370
Does anyone have a pair of DT770 Premiums 600ohm and an M&M stack?
I have some 250ohm and would like to know if the M&M stack can drive the 600ohms well enough to warrant an upgrade!

=D

It powers my DT880 600ohm's just fine. I rarely have to go past half way (12 o'clock) on the Magni's volume knob. Should be able to power than power the 250's.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,101 of 1,370
Quote:
Ooo! This thread got me excited. I'm going to pull the trigger on the M&M Combo and a pair of 600ohm DT880s! Too esscited right now!

I just got delivery yesterday on the Magni
I'm astounded by the SQ,and using it with the Uber Bifrost dac ,&  HD800's.

To my cryoed ears,I'm finding somewhat of a similarity to the Mjolnir-please correct me ,anyone else hearing the same??

Schiit never disappoints me,hats off to Jason,for giving us another quality product,at a totally affordable price.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,102 of 1,370
Quote:
I just got delivery yesterday on the Magni
I'm astounded by the SQ,and using it with the Uber Bifrost dac ,&  HD800's.

To my cryoed ears,I'm finding somewhat of a similarity to the Mjolnir-please correct me ,anyone else hearing the same??

Schiit never disappoints me,hats off to Jason,for giving us another quality product,at a totally affordable price. 

Good to know! I was actually doing a little more research yesterday right after I posted and a review stated that the actual sound difference in the schiit products is in the dacs. Although that was between the M&M series and the Bifrost/Asguard. I'm going to surmise that it might apply to the Mjolnir as well since they are all solidstate. It probably won't apply to valhalla or lyr because of the tubes.

Now I sort of want to get bifrost uber... but that breaks pocket right now.. T_T

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,103 of 1,370
Quote:

Good to know! I was actually doing a little more research yesterday right after I posted and a review stated that the actual sound difference in the schiit products is in the dacs. Although that was between the M&M series and the Bifrost/Asguard. I'm going to surmise that it might apply to the Mjolnir as well since they are all solidstate. It probably won't apply to valhalla or lyr because of the tubes.

Now I sort of want to get bifrost uber... but that breaks pocket right now.. T_T

I'm not sure about that,& is a matter of debate imho.
I've gotten into a few screaming discussion about that topic.
In my chain,with my cryoed ears,and my headphones the chain goes like this:
headphones> amp>dac>cables
YMMV.

Look for a Uber Bifrost in the buy/sell forum-used,the price was so low,it was getting a gift-I did have to send it down to Jason for the upgrade -it was well worth it,though.
I will be getting the M&M  combo for my daughter-thats a no brainer

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,108 of 1,370
Hello. Does anyone know if the magni and modi combo would be good with the Grado sr225i? Thanks. 

I run my Grado 125si though the M&M and think its a terrific match.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,109 of 1,370
hello everyone

I am an absolute audio rookie, and recently picked up some Sony MDR7506 Professional headphones. Would the Shiit magni be appropriate to use? 
also i would like to know how a DAC fits into a pc audio setup?
thanks

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #1,110 of 1,370
Quote:
hello everyone

I am an absolute audio rookie, and recently picked up some Sony MDR7506 Professional headphones. Would the Shiit magni be appropriate to use? 
also i would like to know how a DAC fits into a pc audio setup?
thanks

Congrats on the headphones, the MDR7506s are a great starting point! The Magni is a perfectly good place to start for an amp, and you may find it's all you want or need.

A DAC converts your digital audio into an analog signal (which is what you ultimately need since headphones don't understand ones and zeroes). Your computer has one built in for its headphone and speaker output. A separate DAC will typically connect to your computer through either USB or optical (if your motherboard or sound card has the option) and does the conversion for you. With an external DAC your connections go: PC > DAC > Amp > Headphones

If you get a USB DAC (like the Modi for example) then it'll show up the same as an external sound card in Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back