This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
May 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,081 of 1,370
Quote:
I'm on my second Magni and I'm still battling noise. It's a sporadic, low, static-y, scratching noise that almost sounds like electrical interference. I'm pretty sure it's the Magni as I can hear it with the Modi disconnected. I've had the Magni plugged into a power strip and directly into the wall with no change. Other amps I have do not do this.

Any ideas? RF interference? Phone? Router? Power issue?

It happend to me too!

My problem was the the Magni was plugged in a power strip not directly into the wall outlet.. 
Then also the phone had strange interference...

May 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,082 of 1,370
I'm getting some weird crackling on my modi setup right now. As I'm listening to music (Macbook->Modi->Powered Monitors), cracks/pops start coming in and gradually grow more and more. I stop the music quick and try different players, same thing. I'm not sure if it's my MacBook being weird or the DAC, but when I play through the headphone output of my MacBook, no crackling.

Crappy USB cable? Any ideas?

May 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,083 of 1,370
Quote:
I'm getting some weird crackling on my modi setup right now. As I'm listening to music (Macbook->Modi->Powered Monitors), cracks/pops start coming in and gradually grow more and more. I stop the music quick and try different players, same thing. I'm not sure if it's my MacBook being weird or the DAC, but when I play through the headphone output of my MacBook, no crackling.

Any ideas?

I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro and a different USB DAC. Turns out my USB input is going bad and was causing anything I plugged into it to act up. I tried the other input and got zero cracking. So your problem maybe the input and not the DAC

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

May 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,084 of 1,370
Quote:

I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro and a different USB DAC. Turns out my USB input is going bad and was causing anything I plugged into it to act up. I tried the other input and got zero cracking. So your problem maybe the input and not the DAC

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

That would be really lame. Do you know of any way to verifiably test if my USB input is going bad? If it's messed up, I'd like to get Apple to handle it.

May 15, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #1,086 of 1,370
Howdee all,

Just unboxed my Magni + Modi tonight, listening to it as I type, on brand new Beyer DT770 pro 250's.

They are small and cute! I got a kick out of the little user manual, which contains more of the typical Schiit humor.

The Beyer's got a workout at work today, listened to them on my Bravo Audio V2 + iPod setup at work. The Beyer's make my normal work headphones (ATH M40FS) sound very heavy on midrange, and closed in quite a bit. Put another way, the Beyers lack some midrange, but have just as much bass (without any break in), and noticeably more treble. Maybe too much treble. Both are closed cans though, necessary for work.

The Beyers initially sounded so good, I started crying.

Then I took them home to plug them into my new Stack of Schiit. Holy Schiit Batman.

The initial impression? Clarity. Lots more clarity. Just as much bass, barely out of the box. But now I see why people say these cans have a lot of treble. On the other hand, the whole setup just sounds so clean. Squeaky clean.

Bravo, Schiit. Bravo.

Then I remembered, I had to go into iTunes and turn off the EQ, the sound enhancer, and all the other crap that colored the sound. I had been using cheezy speakers. So imagine the improvement! The headphones were making me deaf with treble, but I was distracted by the ton of bass it kept producing.

Another revelation in sound quality. Now I'm hearing differences in my music library that I'd not heard before. Again. At even greater depth than with my work setup.

Listening to Lindsey Stirling's recent album. What fun. This setup just makes me love her music even more.

For any of those wondering, the Magni+Modi drive the DT770/250's just fine. With my laptop volume maxed, iTunes volume at 80%, and the Magni volume knob at 1 o'clock, I'm shaking my brains about as much as I dare, before I start to cause hearing loss
L3000.gif
Also, the Bravo Audio V2 drives the DT770's just fine.

The one and only possible glitch in the works? The Magni on/off toggle switch is a bit loose in the chassis. I don't know if that will be an issue later or not. I suppose I won't worry yet. It's working like a champ right now.

Also, I have the Magni plugged into a power strip, but it's one of those fancy, expensive power strips ($30 bucks or so). Not hearing any noise. With the music off and headphones on, I can just barely hear a large 20" fan running in my room. The headphones are dead quiet.

Jason, if you're listening: Your Schiit doesn't stink. That's some of the best Schiit I've ever heard. You sure do know your Schiit. Thank you, sir.

May 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,087 of 1,370
Quote:
Wow, just got the Mangi in yesterday, and paired it with my X-Fi Titanium HD sound card, and I gotta say, its a big improvement.

The sound card I am using has swapped OPamps which boost the bass levels up when using the headphone jack. This is the amp I am using for comparison purposes.

I am using the Mangi amp and using my Titanium HD as a DAC. I have high quality RCA cables in the mail, so I am only using low grade ones currently.

So far, I can tell a great change in soundstage. It is both wider and deeper of a soundstage. I have only tried my fischer audio FA-002W HE headphones, i will be trying me HE-300's later toinght.

Once I spend more time with the Mangi, I will try and polish up this quick review.

Hi Kroc! How do you like your Mangi with your Titanium HD? I have one as well and I'm considering getting the Mangi. What kind of RCA cables did you get....please let me know. Thanks!!!

May 27, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,088 of 1,370
Hi all,

I've read through pg1 of this thread to pg73 and impress by the comments on MM. I'm looking to get my first dac for my Swan M200MKIII. I am wondering are any main reasons to get Bifrost instead of Modi. I'm looking to get HD650 in the coming months too. Currently, MM seems good enough. My source is Macbook pro, and I mainly use for music.

I also read about HRT II, D1, ODAC.

Pls kindly advice. Thanks.

Cheers

May 27, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #1,089 of 1,370
Hi.
I'm French so sorry for my poor English.
I've got a modi and a magni, and I want to know if I can use my magni with my Sennheiser HD 25 C II (70ohms) without any problem ? And if the sound can be great or not with this combo (with my iMac and sound in flac).
http://www.thomann.de/fr/sennheiser_hd25_c_ii.htm

I know this is not the best headphone for hifi and amp (It's my djing headphone), but for a noob like me it's enough for the moment.
Thanks.

May 29, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #1,090 of 1,370
It should have enough power to push 70ohm headphones so should be fine :) just remember to have your volume at 0 when you plug in and turn up after to safely protect your ears and headphones

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #1,091 of 1,370
Aaaannndddd....finally!

Magni is now available with 230V wall-warts.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,092 of 1,370
Great to hear!!! I'm running out of excuses to not buy the Magni with 230V wall-wart. Thanks Jason for the update!!!

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,095 of 1,370
I have some issues with the RCA cables: they're either too long or too uncomfortable for tight places. I was thinking about a very short angled RCA cable.  

I was thinking in plugging two connectors but its difficult to get the right length without buying a bunch of them to try....What do you guys think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-RCA-BARREL-CONNECTOR-MALE-TO-FEMALE-RIGHT-ANGLE-PAIR-/190861165936
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Angle-RCA-Adaptor-Male-to-Female-Connector-Joint-90-Degrees-F8s-/330928008715

Users who are viewing this thread

Back