This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Mar 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,051 of 1,370
Quote:
Oh, I'm selling my Magni if anyone wants it, yours for only $80! (Shipping inc.)

Wish you had posted this two weeks ago.  I would buy it, but ordered direct from Schiit and patiently waiting for my amp to ship.    Not exactly patiently but.......I hate waiting for new toys. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,052 of 1,370
Wish you had posted this two weeks ago.  I would buy it, but ordered direct from Schiit and patiently waiting for my amp to ship.    Not exactly patiently but.......I hate waiting for new toys. 
Just decided on selling after a meet last weekend, sorry!

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #1,053 of 1,370
Ordered the stack Friday. My status has said they are shipping back orders since then. Hopefully they get those out of the way so they can get my Schiit shipped! I am pretty pumped, even though I just have modded SR80's and Denon 1001's. Hopefully I'll have a pair with an H and something with a 5 or 6. (Hifiman)

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #1,056 of 1,370
I just ordered one of these and I'm super excited to get it in and set it up.  Are there any drivers that I need to download to get this to work on my macbook pro?  Or do I just plug it in and go for it?

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #1,057 of 1,370
Quote:
I just ordered one of these and I'm super excited to get it in and set it up.  Are there any drivers that I need to download to get this to work on my macbook pro?  Or do I just plug it in and go for it?

I have one connected to my Mac-Mini. No drivers needed. You just need to system preferences click on Sound then Output and select Schiit USB Audio Device. Then I'd open up Audio Midi Setup in Utilities and set the Modi to 24 bit. You can select either 44100 or 96000 HZ. I can't hear the difference when playing mp3's between the two settings. I'm really loving this thing!

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,059 of 1,370
Quote:
Thanks for the info.  I'm super new to this stuff so I can use all the help I can get!

Sure thing. I noticed I messed up my typing. Left out some words lol! Again, I'm not listening to hi rez files, not yet anyway. Most of my listening is through a Cambridge Audio CD player into my Woo Audio WA6. That said, even listening to mp3's encoded at 320kbps, the Modi feeding my Schiit Asgard sounds amazing good. I do notice the limitations of mp3's even with my 60 year old ears,  but the convenience factor of having access to my 19,000 iTunes collection makes it all good. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,060 of 1,370
I actually ordered the Modi/Magi combo so I'm pretty excited to see how that will work out.  I'm actually overseas right now so I don't have the room for a big rig where I'm at.  I recently reloaded my music collection into iTunes to convert it to a hight bit rate and try and clean it up a little bit.  So far so good but like I said I'm pretty new to this aspect of it.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,061 of 1,370
Quote:
I actually ordered the Modi/Magi combo so I'm pretty excited to see how that will work out.  I'm actually overseas right now so I don't have the room for a big rig where I'm at.  I recently reloaded my music collection into iTunes to convert it to a hight bit rate and try and clean it up a little bit.  So far so good but like I said I'm pretty new to this aspect of it.

I hope you mean you are using original uncompressed source for that.  

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,062 of 1,370
Sold the Magni, please no more PMs, thanks!

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,063 of 1,370
Thanks Jason!

Can't wait to bring these to the office to power my DT 770s 250!

UPDATE 1: Okay, I just did a side-by-side comparison with the Asus Xonar Xense sound card on my PC, and the Schiit MM stack definitely sound better.  It's way more balanced, and everything is brought up in a nice clean way.  CRAP.  Now I need to order another set for home use.

UPDATE 2: After more listening, the Xonar Xense sound card has noticeably sharper / distracting highs and much weaker lows.  The distracting highs sound grainy, and they exacerbate the already recessed mids.  The more balanced MM stack sounds fuller, warmer, and tighter.  EQ'ing the Xonar Xense by raising the lows and lowering the highs fails to make it sound like the MM stack, it only makes everything muddled.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #1,064 of 1,370
Quote:
I hope you mean you are using original uncompressed source for that.  

More or less.  When I loaded them onto my hard drive in the first place they were done as uncompressed/large files.  When I loaded them into iTunes initially I compressed them to save space on my computer.  So now that I have seen the error of my ways I deleted them and started over. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,065 of 1,370
Quote:
More or less.  When I loaded them onto my hard drive in the first place they were done as uncompressed/large files.  When I loaded them into iTunes initially I compressed them to save space on my computer.  So now that I have seen the error of my ways I deleted them and started over. 

It would be a pain to start over, but it's the only way to get lossless files if they had already been compressed.  The good thing is that storage is cheap enough these days. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back