This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Feb 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #991 of 1,370
Quote:
True, but that might b because Of the tube ur using. My 12ua7 is tighter than my eh6992 in the same amp

Yes, I think that's part of it. But my Darkvoice 336i is an OTL tube amp, where the phones are driven directly from the output tube. Generally, and I have found it to be true in the case of the Darkvoice, OTL amps prefer phones with a high impedence. My Senn HD580 (300 Ohm) and Beyer DT880 (600 Ohm) sing nicely with the darkvoice. The Shure SRH840 (rated at 44 Ohm) sound a bit slow and rolled off through the Darkvoice. I have tried different output tubes (6as7g, 5998 and 7236), settled on a Tung Sol 7236, and many, many 6sn7 input/driver tubes, settling on a ca.1953 Sylvania. This combo sounds great on the Senn and Beyer phones. It just can't drive the Shures as well being an OTL amp. No output transformer to give the phones a kick, so to speak. In this amp, no tube compliment will get this OTL amp to drive the Shures like this mini Magni can. For the price, it's a no brainer for me. And with the prices vintage, and even good new tubes are going for, I'll stop trying to find something else for the Darkvoice (which may not exist) and live contentedly with my new Schiit.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #992 of 1,370
Quote:
Yes, I think that's part of it. But my Darkvoice 336i is an OTL tube amp, where the phones are driven directly from the output tube. Generally, and I have found it to be true in the case of the Darkvoice, OTL amps prefer phones with a high impedence. My Senn HD580 (300 Ohm) and Beyer DT880 (600 Ohm) sing nicely with the darkvoice. The Shure SRH840 (rated at 44 Ohm) sound a bit slow and rolled off through the Darkvoice. I have tried different output tubes (6as7g, 5998 and 7236), settled on a Tung Sol 7236, and many, many 6sn7 input/driver tubes, settling on a ca.1953 Sylvania. This combo sounds great on the Senn and Beyer phones. It just can't drive the Shures as well being an OTL amp. No output transformer to give the phones a kick, so to speak. In this amp, no tube compliment will get this OTL amp to drive the Shures like this mini Magni can. For the price, it's a no brainer for me. And with the prices vintage, and even good new tubes are going for, I'll stop trying to find something else for the Darkvoice (which may not exist) and live contentedly with my new Schiit.

ahh I looked at the DarkVoice 366i today I think in the for sale thread! I need a good tube for my 250 ohm dt 880s [and hopefully the 600 ohm 880's soon]

thankfully my cheap indeed is GREAT for emd, it fills the mids out just enough and the bass is nice! But alas, the dt 880s do need a nicer beefy tube xD to sing like MAGIC [that and I really need the 600 ohm version] 

Guys how would you compare the Modi to the ODAC :O

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #994 of 1,370
Would the brightness, possible harsh trebles of this stack be a bad match for Ultrasones (specifically the Pro 900s), which are known by some for already having pretty harsh treble at times?

I have looked at other options already, but I would much rather support Schiit as a company.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #995 of 1,370
Quote:
Would the brightness, possible harsh trebles of this stack be a bad match for Ultrasones (specifically the Pro 900s), which are known by some for already having pretty harsh treble at times?

I have looked at other options already, but I would much rather support Schiit as a company.

... there is always eq if you'd like to use that, 

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #997 of 1,370
Quote:
/\ What are your feelings on the EQ in Fidelia? Is it worth getting a product if I am just going to have to EQ it from the computer?

I use foobar and infact there is a half decent foobar eq, I'm downloading now atm.

Eltri-q is a GREAT eq but it likes to crash so I avoid it. Still even basic foobar eq is sufficent for me! 

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,000 of 1,370
Feb 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,001 of 1,370
Would the Modi Magni Stack be an upgrade or downgrade from an Audio-GD NFB-12?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,002 of 1,370
Quote:
Would the Modi Magni Stack be an upgrade or downgrade from an Audio-GD NFB-12?

Well, I don't have any experience..but just to keep you warm until the real guys come in and wow you with their personal experience...most people I have talked with recommended the TubeMagic D2 over the Modi...and also many people would say that the NFB 12 is on par (some say better) than the D2..of course, take this with a grain of salt 
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,003 of 1,370
btw... I got an odac for $25 than a Modi... it sounds nice :O. I was HOPING to become a fellower Schiitian [fun word] but alas... I did not. But I might go with teh Bit Frost as my next Dac! 

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,004 of 1,370
Quote:
/\ What are your feelings on the EQ in Fidelia? Is it worth getting a product if I am just going to have to EQ it from the computer?

It depends on whether the Ultrasones are your end point.  If you are planning on moving up in transducers, I can confidently assert that the Magni make my HE-500 sing like they've never sung before.  I have Fidelia but I'm too lazy to look and see if you can 'pin' an EQ to a song or create playlists with different 'pinned' EQs for different headphones.  My major problem with EQ is that I'm rarely able to simply EQ to the weaknesses of the transducer itself but rather to the strengths and weakness of the recording AND the transducer and hence, my EQ that is good for, say the HD650, is crud for my HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back