This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Jan 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #857 of 1,370
Quote:
Hey all,

I bought this combo and just wondering about the volume levels for the DAC. I'm using Windows 7, if that is of any help.

Is it safe to asume that the MODI volume level at the coputer be at 100% and let the MAGNI do the rest? Also, the volume level for the media player? I'm using J River

First, make sure you have Windows set to send the Modi 24 bit audio (Audio Properties > Playback Tab > Modi > Properties > Advanced). With it set that way I'd recommend using either the Magni's volume control or Windows', but not the media player (merely because I wouldn't be confident it was doing its volume adjustment in 24 bits).

With that said, I would give preference to using Magni's volume control; if you can set everything on the digital side (player and Windows) to 100% then that'd probably be best, but if not I'd use Windows' to give yourself a usable volume range then do actual adjustment on the Magni.

Also, I would recommend against using the players' volume control since system sounds might then be really loud even though your music isn't.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #858 of 1,370
Quote:

First, make sure you have Windows set to send the Modi 24 bit audio (Audio Properties > Playback Tab > Modi > Properties > Advanced). With it set that way I'd recommend using either the Magni's volume control or Windows', but not the media player (merely because I wouldn't be confident it was doing its volume adjustment in 24 bits).

With that said, I would give preference to using Magni's volume control; if you can set everything on the digital side (player and Windows) to 100% then that'd probably be best, but if not I'd use Windows' to give yourself a usable volume range then do actual adjustment on the Magni.

Also, I would recommend against using the players' volume control since system sounds might then be really loud even though your music isn't.

Whatever loudness percentage I set my windows sound doesn't have any affect on foobar (I use wasapi). How can I solve this?

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #861 of 1,370
Quote:
Whatever loudness percentage I set my windows sound doesn't have any affect on foobar (I use wasapi). How can I solve this?

No. Just set the volume inside foobar. WASAPI and ASIO are designed to be exclusive and bypass the Windows sound mixer in order to pass bit-perfect audio directly to the device. Therefore its impossible to have Windows sounds and WASAPI/ASIO sounds output together or to control WASAPI/ASIO volume from the Windows sound mixer. I actually like it because it keeps my Windows sounds from interrupting my music. I have Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers and I usually just send my Windows sounds through them while using my headphones for music playback through ASIO.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #862 of 1,370
Quote:
Same issue I hit. Are you running Audirvarna Plus or Audirvarna free without a USB dac?

A+ with the M&M combo.  For what it's worth I have the Gungnir and Mjolnir combo too and have the same issue with the JH16s.

As has been mentioned by others, A+'s MBIT volume dither works very well.   

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #863 of 1,370
Normally I try to leave all digital knobs to 100% and control volume with the analog knob. However, when I do that with this amp, the proper volume is very close to "off" on the volume knob. This is problematic because near the "off" level, the left channel drops out faster than the right channel. So, I'm using 24bit mode and dropping system volume to 25% to get the volume knob on the Magni up and away.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #865 of 1,370
Quote:
Normally I try to leave all digital knobs to 100% and control volume with the analog knob. However, when I do that with this amp, the proper volume is very close to "off" on the volume knob. This is problematic because near the "off" level, the left channel drops out faster than the right channel. So, I'm using 24bit mode and dropping system volume to 25% to get the volume knob on the Magni up and away.

Do you think SQ is still good when you drop system volume?

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #866 of 1,370
Quote:
Do you think SQ is still good when you drop system volume?

As has been discussed several times in this thread so far, if you play 16bit audio over a 24bit channel, a 4x reduction in volume should not cause the loss of any information.

As for what my ears hear, I can't hear a difference which is why I do it- it costs me nothing, and gives the volume knob on the magni more useful range.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #867 of 1,370
I'm looking to upgrade from my fiio e7/e9 combo and thinking about just going with the Modi & Magni combo for a few months until I can afford the Lyr and Bifrost.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but will I be able to use the Modi with the Lyr until I can upgrade Modi to the Bifrost?

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #868 of 1,370
Quote:

As has been discussed several times in this thread so far, if you play 16bit audio over a 24bit channel, a 4x reduction in volume should not cause the loss of any information.

As for what my ears hear, I can't hear a difference which is why I do it- it costs me nothing, and gives the volume knob on the magni more useful range.

What do you mean by a 4x reduction?

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #869 of 1,370

What do you mean by a 4x reduction?
I'm pretty sure he means that anything controlled digitally from 25% up should be bit perfect. :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #870 of 1,370
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he means that anything controlled digitally from 25% up should be bit perfect.
smily_headphones1.gif

If this is when playing solely 16-bit audio over a 24-bit channel, then would there be some loss when playing actual 24-bit files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back