This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Jan 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #766 of 1,370
Quote:
Sad day.
Woke up and plugged my Magni in and turned it on only to come back an hour later to find it off.
The wallwart died on me so now I can hopefully get a new one sent and not have too much down time.
Can't wait to get back to glorious music.

Hmmm... interesting...
I connected my Magni this morning and turned on and off... as if the connection in the back was "loose". Checked the plug again, reconnected and it turned on... Hopefully it was just me "sleepy" this morning at work and not something bad to the walwart or the internal connector.

P.S. Still liking the Magni a lot! My Leckerton has not seen action in 3 weeks now! :p

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #768 of 1,370

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In reality, the differences are very subtle, and unless you're comparing side by side, I doubt anyone would truly notice.
If you're getting the Magni, I suggest getting the Modi for aesthetic's sake. It's a wonderful sounding combo either way.

I found the differences in performance between the ODAC & Modi subtle.. but fairly easily distinguishable.  Lower extension, better dynamics, and tighter control in the bass areas.. better soundstage depth and tonal accuracy in the midrange.. and better clarity and extension in the treble were all identifiable improvements.  Separation was better across all frequencies.  The ODAC just sounds like the more polished, capable DAC.  My music is primarily HQ/320Kbps streams via my MOG subscription and the differences were easily identifiable.  While the Modi definitely delivers for $99, the ODAC's performance improvement is worth the premium in price (in my personal opinion).  Aesthetics of the M/M stack is beautiful, though.

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #769 of 1,370
I do agree, personally, but if I were to get the Magni again... I couldn't see myself not having it paired with it's sibling. Call it OCD, lol.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #770 of 1,370
Good evening,

I write from Italy and I ordered the Magni today. I have a question. 

These are the specs fo USA Power Supply

AC ADAPTER
CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY
INPUT 120V AC 60HZ
OUTPUT 16V AC 500ma 8.0 W

I'm trying to find the correct Power supply for Italy. I found 3 models. Can you suggest me which one is the most correct? thank you very much

1) http://www.ebay.it/itm/Netzteil-fur-Thorens-16V-AC-500mA-fur-TD-146-147-166-280-316-318-320-2001-/150787641679?pt=Plattenspieler&hash=item231ba4d14f#ht_3079wt_1397
(I think this is the perfect one because it has the same specs of the US one, except obviously for the input)

2) http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_netzteil_fuer_hp4.htm
(This one has the double specs: 1000ma 16W: do you think are there problems or improvements if I use this one)?

3) http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/alimentatori-plug-in/2813690/
(This one has output 15V AC 500ma, so it's a bit under... problems?)

Thank you very much, I think it's very important to make the right choice, because I don't want to damage the amplifier.

I hope you can help me,

Regards

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #771 of 1,370
I'm a noob and this comment won't be useful to many. But in case it is for someone, here it is: Just received my Modi. I'm running Audioengine A5+ speakers. It's a huge upgrade over the sound card of my Macbook Pro. Of course that's not a surprise. I've never owned or even tried another DAC so I cannot compare. All I can say is wow -- so glad I spent the $108 for the Modi plus shipping. I was expecting the changes to be subtle. They are not. Right out of the box, there was way more warmth and depth to the music. Well worth it!

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #773 of 1,370
My Nuforce speakers arrived today completing my PC Desktop system driven by the Modi from a mac pc. Everything is new, but the sound is fantastic as compared to my old a/d/s 2002 bi-amped loudspeakers using analog output of the Mac Pro desktop pc. Next stop Amarra?

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #774 of 1,370
Quote:
Good evening,

I write from Italy and I ordered the Magni today. I have a question. 

These are the specs fo USA Power Supply

AC ADAPTER
CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY
INPUT 120V AC 60HZ
OUTPUT 16V AC 500ma 8.0 W

I'm trying to find the correct Power supply for Italy. I found 3 models. Can you suggest me which one is the most correct? thank you very much

1) http://www.ebay.it/itm/Netzteil-fur-Thorens-16V-AC-500mA-fur-TD-146-147-166-280-316-318-320-2001-/150787641679?pt=Plattenspieler&hash=item231ba4d14f#ht_3079wt_1397
(I think this is the perfect one because it has the same specs of the US one, except obviously for the input)

2) http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_netzteil_fuer_hp4.htm
(This one has the double specs: 1000ma 16W: do you think are there problems or improvements if I use this one)?

3) http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/alimentatori-plug-in/2813690/
(This one has output 15V AC 500ma, so it's a bit under... problems?)

Thank you very much, I think it's very important to make the right choice, because I don't want to damage the amplifier.

I hope you can help me,

Regards

I put a response in the other thread where you posted this

Read http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier/660#post_9020453

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #775 of 1,370
Quote:
My Nuforce speakers arrived today completing my PC Desktop system driven by the Modi from a mac pc. 

Oh is that their new bluetooth ones? 

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #776 of 1,370
I've been listening to my Magni-Modi since yesterday. I'm very happy with sound using Grado HF2's. I'm using this set-up thru my desktop computer w/ Windows7.I'm new to using flac and mp3 files, and my question is. When listening to either flac or mp3 files, i'm getting short pauses during playback, similar to pauses if you burned a cdr with TAO settings, very short stops in music. This happens when using Foobar 2000 playing flac files, or using Windows Media Player with mp3 files. Anyone know what the problem is? Is it a possible DAC issue? At first I thought it might be a Foobar issue, but it does the same thing in Windows Media Player. It might do this several times during the song. I really want to get this one figured out. Any suggestions.

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #777 of 1,370
Quote:
I've been listening to my Magni-Modi since yesterday. I'm very happy with sound using Grado HF2's. I'm using this set-up thru my desktop computer w/ Windows7.I'm new to using flac and mp3 files, and my question is. When listening to either flac or mp3 files, i'm getting short pauses during playback, similar to pauses if you burned a cdr with TAO settings, very short stops in music. This happens when using Foobar 2000 playing flac files, or using Windows Media Player with mp3 files. Anyone know what the problem is? Is it a possible DAC issue? At first I thought it might be a Foobar issue, but it does the same thing in Windows Media Player. It might do this several times during the song. I really want to get this one figured out. Any suggestions.

Haven't heard of this issue before, since it's happening that often I'd open up task manager and watch to see if something's spiking CPU usage when it happens (pay close attention to things like antivirus).

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #778 of 1,370
Quote:

On Foobar, when you have the window up, do you notice a window pop up in the top left saying it's updating the file when it skips? Also, is this only with the Modi plugged in? It could be a USB port issue, or it could simply be a setting you needed to change. This was happening with me with another DAC and I found out it was actually a combination of both (USB port + a setting I needed to change in Foobar)

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #780 of 1,370
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=659&seq=1&format=2

this is an acceptable RCA cable to run the M&M combo yes?  Planning to order my Modi soon, so I figure I'd buy the cables now from monoprice to save time and money lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back