This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #526 of 1,370
Pulled the Plug on a modi. 
Wont arrive till early jan though i think, shame :frowning2:

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #528 of 1,370
Quote:

I'm pretty sure covering the vent his a big no-no. That said, the dimensions are pretty close to being able to stack it without really covering the vent much/at all. Looking at the pictures, the feet seem to be offset from the very edge of the unit a little bit so you could reasonably avoid covering the vent at all if you're alright with the units not lining up perfectly on the left side. The Modi is listed as 5" wide, which is almost exactly the distance from the left edge of the vent and the left edge of the Asgard. If the feet are .5" from the edge of the Modi, then there is more then enough space on the Asgard to avoid covering the vent at all with the Modi stacked on top. It just wont sit nice and even... The other option would be turning it sideways and completely avoiding that risk, but it doesn't look as nice that way.

The only other issue would be if it still insulates too much heat by sitting on the solid section or if the Modi would be at risk of heat issues too. I feel pretty certain that the vents do the vast majority of the cooling and there is enough surface area for the body to still be a sufficient heatsink, but  I don't want to make incorrect assumptions. I would expect it to be ok, even if the Modi is lined up evenly with the edge of the Asgard. Since it wouldn't be directly covering the vent and it would only be slightly on the edge, I expect it wouldn't cause serious problems.

Hey thanks! I think I'll ask Jason just to get a final answer and report back

Dang they're quick at Schiit, got a reply already, he said it's ok!

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #529 of 1,370
Quote:
Love how as soon as a new piece of Schiit is out, people start attacking the old popular stuff.
First of all, the E17 is a PORTABLE dac/amp. It has an optical/coaxial input, variable bass and treble control, gain, left/right controls.
It is a very good, feature packed DAC/Amp.
The Magni and Modi combo is NOT portable, and has just an RCA input/usb. There are no options. You just set and forget.
The two are not comparable. Christ.
The Magni is more of a comparison to the E9K. THE E9K has an RCA in, line out, and pre-out. The Magni only has an RCA input.
Do I think the Magni is going to sound better? Yes... slightly. It has a little more power, and better output impedance. However, haters gonna hate.
It's funny really.
I compared the ODAC to the E17 DAC, and the two were seriously so close in sound, it wasnt worth even mentioning. The E17 was just a hair brighter. As far as amping, I felt the E9K was quite good even next to my $500 Audio GD SA-31.
I really hate the utter hyperbole spewed on head-fi. Just because something is new, doesnt meant older stuff is going to be obsolete. I got the mini Schiit stack because I don't need the portability of the E17 and I fell for the Schiit aesthetics. That's all. The E17 is a stellar device. If you're gonna compare, make sure its with something that's actually like it in power and features.
You don't compare a 32" TV to a 65". I remember why Head-fi disgusts me at times.

The problem is----and that is assuming you saw my post and it contribute to what you say here-- and i am not checking-- a forum is not so people can check what they say and be accountable for what they say---what is the problem with being able to speak freely and casually? what is the appeal of taking things seriously online?

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #530 of 1,370
Quote:
Still waiting for impressions of the Magni with the DT880 600 ohm... But from what Iv'e read the Magni seems bright so it might not help, I still don't have the 880s so I'll see if they are already too bright for me. But I'll only have the Audioengine D1 so I'm sure it won't make them justice... In a real dilemma here 
rolleyes.gif

Seconded. I'm just about to purchase a DT880 600 (after the oscillating Amazon prices hits a trough). Would love to hear impressions on the M+M+880 combo.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #531 of 1,370
Quote:
I was close on getting the O2. But now with the MAGNI released idk what to do >_>
My NuForce Icon HDP only does 288MW for 32ohm headphones.
I use Sennheiser HD660, AKG Q701, and HIFIMAN HE-400. I don't think my mili-watts will cut it, what do you think? should i buy the MAGNI?

That's actually the specs for the pre-production model HDP that had a much larger resistor in-line with the headphone jack.  The never re-wrote the specs after a last minute change based on feedback.  Based on my ears, I'd guess it's closer to 2-4x that much in the final version, as I compared them side by side.

PS:  I should mention that I didn't want to give up my HDP to my son, so I did buy him the Magni on 12/13, and the Modi today, to give him as a birthday gift in 2 weeks.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #532 of 1,370
Quote:

That's actually the specs for the pre-production model HDP that had a much larger resistor in-line with the headphone jack.  The never re-wrote the specs after a last minute change based on feedback.  Based on my ears, I'd guess it's closer to 2-4x that much in the final version, as I compared them side by side.

PS:  I should mention that I didn't want to give up my HDP to my son, so I did buy him the Magni on 12/13, and the Modi today, to give him as a birthday gift in 2 weeks.

Hmm, they really should update their web info then. It still says 288mW rms @ 30 ohms. Their current spec says 10ohm output impedance. Do you know what is it now?

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #533 of 1,370
Quote:
You don't compare a 32" TV to a 65". I remember why Head-fi disgusts me at times.

You can easily compare a 32" TV to a 65". The 32 is likely to have more even backlighting if its LCD, and probably better refresh rates.

I don't understand people like you. You CAN compare a home amp to a portable amp, and likewise to DACs. Sure the home-based equipment is likely to be better because they don't cut corners on designs to make them portable and pocket-sized, but you can still compare them. You can also compare home cans to portable cans. Or DJ cans. Or studio cans. Or monitoring cans. If those comparisons weren't possible/allowed, there would be no reason for this forum to exist.

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #534 of 1,370
:DSure thing. Lets compare a phone's speaker, with a dedicated home theater, because hey, they do the same thing. Then lets mention about how the phone's sound sucks next to the home theater. Yeah, that really helps.

Anything can be compared. That doesn't mean it's a logical or fair comparison.

The E17 has its own uses, just as the Modi/Magni do. You cant expect a portable device to stack up to a dedicated desktop one.

Try taking the Modi and Magni places. Try hooking an optical or digital coax to it. Try to adjust channel balance, bass and treble, and gain.

Oh, thats right, you can't.

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #535 of 1,370
Quote:
Try taking the Modi and Magni places. Try hooking an optical or digital coax to it. Try to adjust channel balance, bass and treble, and gain.
Oh, thats right, you can't.

Maybe it's just me, but I think you just weighed the pros and cons (compared) the 2 devices based on the features they offer. It honestly sounds like you're trying to defend the FiiO more than you are saying they shouldn't be compared.

Depending on the features they offer, that will help someone decide what they want. Also, someone who already owns one or the other could reasonably weigh the idea of purchasing the product they don't own in based on the comparisons offered.

It's not like we're comparing a DAC/amp combo to a coffee table and saying the coffee table just doesn't sound as good.

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #536 of 1,370
I'm defending them because of some older posts sometime back of them stating the Magni is MUCH better, blah, blah, wah, wah. Of course it's better, it's a desktop amp. The E17 isn't. That's all I'm trying to say.

The ignorance and under the bus throwing on Head-fi is ridiculous. One new piece of tech comes out, and everything else starts sucking. It's so...stupid.

I like stuff that works. The E17 works, and the Magni/Modi work. They are both great at their price range, for different reasons. No need to blast one, because the other is newer and more powerful. Again, it should be obvious. They are designed for different purposes, mainly one being portable and feature packed, and the other being stationary and more powerful.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #537 of 1,370
Like I said, I can see someone who already owns the E17 (or was about to pull the trigger) wanting a comparison. I could definitely understand an E17 owner wanting to know if it would be worth having the M&M as a dedicated home set up, replacing the E17 for general use.

I'm not sure which posts you are specifically referring to or took issues with, but I think there are reasonable ways to compare the 2 and unreasonable ways.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #538 of 1,370
In any case, the tracking updated... and they are in the city!

I r excite

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #539 of 1,370
Have a Magni and Mjolner burning in together....the Magni is definitely tiny, but feels quite hefty in your hands.  Feeding Magni with a W4S dac 2 and the Mjolner with Zodiac atm. 
Magni gets pretty warm but not that bad.  Briefly listening to the HD650, it is sounding pretty clean.  Will post more once I feel they are done cooking.  For the fun of it I am also going to try an aftermarket power supply with the Magni down the road (which has a value $120.00 over the Magni itself, lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back