This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #437 of 1,370
Quote:
I'm pretty sure DC coupling is a BAD choice for this application... even the slightest DC offset can ruin expensive headphones!

That's what the DC servo is for. Even with some offset on the source, it keeps Magni's DC down in the tens of millivolts range.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #438 of 1,370
Quote:
Impossible... the K1000 needs speaker amp levels of power, and its wired for balanced so you'll need a converter. If they make noise at all at max I'd be stunned.

Well we got sound out of them with the Lyr before, so this time I intend to try the Asgard and Magni just for fun.

...still waiting on mine to ship though, hey Jason, is the hold up for those of us who ordered the Magni and Modi the Modi at this point?

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #439 of 1,370
Quote:
I have a bunch of comparisons planned with my other Schiit--Mjolnir, Gungnir, and Lyr, but it'll take some time.  I had the Gungnir set up to feed the Magni, Lyr, and Mjolnir simultaneously last night, but it was getting late.

Thanks for those initial impressions Barry. Do you consider that the M&M combo has better SQ than that of the Centrance Dacport (DAC+Amp version)?

Cheers!

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #441 of 1,370
Quote:
Interesting impressions on the magni and modi. Looks like I may have made a mistake selling the o2 and odac

Dont take others words for it. I am currently waiting the Modi and if i like it, i could care less about reviews. Your taste might be different than others.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #442 of 1,370
Quote:

Well we got sound out of them with the Lyr before, so this time I intend to try the Asgard and Magni just for fun.

...still waiting on mine to ship though, hey Jason, is the hold up for those of us who ordered the Magni and Modi the Modi at this point?

Yep, Modis are in limited production at the moment--but that changes on Wednesday. After that, the floodgates open. Website sez 5-7 business days, remember...we're only 4 days into that.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #443 of 1,370
What Oscar said.  It is fun to share impressions, see what others thought and discuss them, but you have to make up you own mind.  The only opinion that should matter is your own.  Plus, once you hear them, you can feel free to post your own impressions!  And on a side note, I was not a big fan of the ODAC.  So, if you liked it, that already discounts what I said.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #444 of 1,370
Quote:
Yep, Modis are in limited production at the moment--but that changes on Wednesday. After that, the floodgates open. Website sez 5-7 business days, remember...we're only 4 days into that.

Oh yeah, no real worries here, just curious 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I've got the Bifrost/Asgard already anyways, so certainly no dire need (as much as you can have dire need for good headphone equipment).

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #446 of 1,370
Quote:
Quote:
Impossible... the K1000 needs speaker amp levels of power, and its wired for balanced so you'll need a converter. If they make noise at all at max I'd be stunned.

The Lyr is one of the most powerful amps available, of course it'll make sound out of the K1000s...

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #447 of 1,370
Quote:

A bit exaggerated, surely.  I have a Bravo tube hybrid headphone amp (http://www.headfonia.com/bravo-hybrid-tube-amplifier/) that I got off of ebay that drove the K1000's surprisingly well at a meet.   I don't know exactly what it puts out, as the specs don't indicate, but surely, it wasn't speaker amp power.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #449 of 1,370
I think one thing that may sway a lot of the initial impressions is the level of gear that they've been compared to. While we can't be for sure that they are "giant killers" by any means, I think these will be a fine upgrade from the E7/E9 combo that many of us started out with. Hell, I'm planning on getting this for my main desktop rig. Why? Because a good amount of my listening is portable, and I've been wanting a desktop solution for when I want to listen to the computer/CDP. And even though I've owned amps that cost more than this little unit, I don't have a ton of money to throw at upgrading my chain constantly. Unless this amp sounds appaling, I'll be planning on getting a tube hybrid to go along with these and calling it a day.

Although if you're buying very high end cans such as LCD-2/HE-500/HD800, I'm sure you'll have more than enough money for upgrades :p

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #450 of 1,370
I think one thing that may sway a lot of the initial impressions is the level of gear that they've been compared to. While we can't be for sure that they are "giant killers" by any means, I think these will be a fine upgrade from the E7/E9 combo that many of us started out with. Hell, I'm planning on getting this for my main desktop rig. Why? Because a good amount of my listening is portable, and I've been wanting a desktop solution for when I want to listen to the computer/CDP. And even though I've owned amps that cost more than this little unit, I don't have a ton of money to throw at upgrading my chain constantly. Unless this amp sounds appaling, I'll be planning on getting a tube hybrid to go along with these and calling it a day.

Although if you're buying very high end cans such as LCD-2/HE-500/HD800, I'm sure you'll have more than enough money for upgrades :p

This.  Excellent points here.  I'm glad we're getting impressions of the Modi/Magni with some very top tier cans (LCD-2, HE-500, etc.).. but it's important to keep perspective in terms of how one's whole chain of gear fits together.  I'm exaggerating a bit here: no point in trying to drive a pair of apple buds with a Blue Hawaii amp or vice versa.  I wasn't looking for the Schiit stack to be a giant killer, to be honest.  At their price point, I just sensed it'll ably serve the phones I use most often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back