Thinking of getting K701's (noobish questions inside)
Jan 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

D41LYBR34Dm4n

New Head-Fier
My K271's recently fell apart and I've been looking at some cans for under $300 to replace them. The main thing I'm wondering though is if I'd notice much of a difference between the K701 and K271 since I'm mainly going to be using it to plug into my comp (onboard sound) and won't have an amp. Obviously no one can tell me for sure, but would this be a significant upgrade to someone who doesn't consider themselves an audiophile? I mean I can tell the difference between SR60's and my K271's (lol) but I'm very much a n00b still. I do listen to a lot of rock/metal however and have heard these cans may not be the best for that, though I thought my K271's still did a pretty good job with it. My last question is about the open style of the 701's - the only other open headphones I've owned were the SR60's...are the 701's about as loud as that from the perspective of someone in the same room as me?

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 15
The K701's are great but in order for it to shine, you will need proper amping. If not, you shouldn't really bother like what baka is saying. Also, the AD700 lacks bass but I'm not sure whether its good for rock/metal. The K701's also leak out a lot of sound as it is an open headphones.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 15
I Used my K702 unamped and without a Dac while they where getting shipped and all i can say you will get better sound out of something like Sennheiser 595 unamped then k70x unamped. They had no Bass, and sounded very boring.

Don't Waste your money and grab something that is more suited to your needs.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 15
You might be able to use the k701 with your onboard sound card. I've managed to pump out music at a decent volume with my k601 plugged directly into my laptop. However, if your sound card is bad, you'll want a DAC. The difference between a bad sound card and a decent DAC is quite noticeable. Also, the wide soundstage of the k701 makes rock sound terrible to me. For $300, I'd suggest you get a Grado, since you listen to lots of rock/metal.  

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 15
the K701's are my first audiophile HP's. im running them right out of my pc, but am ordering an e7/e9 today. at max volume it's just at listening level, and i know im missing out on all sorts of stuff. i wouldnt suggest you get them unless you're planning on getting an amp/dac

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #12 of 15
A PROPER outboard DAC and amp are needed to make the 70x sound like they should. The 70x should be a part of an entire system. They work in conjunction with each other. Don't let the headphone's cost of admission fool you. The AKG can be an excellent headphone for many people when the correct system is implemented.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #13 of 15
I can second this. Once you get a nice DAC and amp, the K701s are excellent cans for their price. It's a shame that many people only drive them from their soundcard and complain about the sound afterwards. A nice little budget system is the Zero DAC or Maverick Audio D1 + Little Dot I+. The Matrix M-stage also does a great job at driving the K701s.

Quote:
A PROPER outboard DAC and amp are needed to make the 70x sound like they should. The 70x should be a part of an entire system. They work in conjunction with each other. Don't let the headphone's cost of admission fool you. The AKG can be an excellent headphone for many people when the correct system is implemented.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks for the replies everyone. While I will look into the 701s + amp later on when I have some more cash to throw around, I went ahead and bought the AD700's last night. They should tide me over for the time being, I'm just a little worried that they'd be a considerable downgrade from my now broken K271's.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 15
IF...IF you don't want to spend mega bucks adding various gadgets to your headphones ( desk amps/dacs). And considering you are a rocker. I would suggest you go for something like the Grado 225's and pos a Fiio E5 (cheap as chips) and a LOD (again chips) if you are listening via MP3 player. That way you will have a very nice set of cans that will be easy to power (even without said extras) but will sing sweeter with the low cost extras I've mentioned.

I may have missed something but is it important to have sound isolation ? If that is the case forget Grados, and the 701's for that matter. The 701's are very nice, the detail is astounding and great sound stage but not great for rock (as my friend will tell you). He loved his 701's until he heard my 225's & RS-1's and instantly said "I need this type of bass! ".

Last word......Audition

p.s no such thing as a 'noobish question'

He who is afraid to ask, is afraid to learn :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back