Thinking of getting Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones
Jul 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #16 of 42
Thanks for all of the input so far people, they're giving me plenty of options to look at since I'm a beginner audiophile and I need any help I can get. So would the Grado SR80i's fit the bill for sounding warm, but having overall balance?

Other headphones that I'm looking at are Senn's HD-595 Pro, Ultrasone HFI-80s (because they're supposed to deliver clear bass) and Audio Technica M-50. What do you guys think? Also, which headphones do you guys think has the highest value/price ratio? I want to avoid diminished returns as much as possible

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #17 of 42
Yeah I wouldn't get the 225i (Kevin Brown) if you don't like the sound of the MS1i.... There are ways to tame the highs but if you're not a fan of the Grado "brightness" I would stay clear of the higher SR models. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 42
Well, the SR80 isn't considered warm but more so warmer than other Grados. Sennheiser is more known for a "warm" signature. Once you hear a Grado and then hear a Sennheiser you'll automatically notice the difference. 

Since I'm an AudioTechnica fan I'd recommend the M-50 out of the four you listed, but any of those would work. What about the shure 840's?

If you're looking for a laid back or less "in your face" type of sound you might want to check out the hd555 first, just to see If you like the sennheiser sound signature. I sold my hd555 and kept my ad700 if thats of any help to you. To me both excelled in everything but bass. 

If you're handy with a tool you can mod the hd555 to sound exactly like the hd595. The hd555 and hd595 share the exact same drivers. Also something to think of. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 42

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't get the 225i (Kevin Brown) if you don't like the sound of the MS1i.... There are ways to tame the highs but if you're not a fan of the Grado "brightness" I would stay clear of the higher SR models. 

I don't like the sound of the MS-1i's.  I do like the SR80i's and the SR125i's. 
smile_phones.gif
 That's why I'm looking at the SR225i's.  (And I don't like the SR60i's, which the MS-1i's sound like to my ears.  Not enough bass for either of those 2 vs the 80's and the 125's.)

And I do like the sound of the AD700's.  (Basically, I have been looking for a complimentary pair to whatever Grados I end up with)

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #20 of 42

Quote:

I don't like the sound of the MS-1i's.  I do like the SR80i's and the SR125i's. 
smile_phones.gif
 That's why I'm looking at the SR225i's.  (And I don't like the SR60i's, which the MS-1i's sound like to my ears.  Not enough bass for either of those 2 vs the 80's and the 125's.)

And I do like the sound of the AD700's.  (Basically, I have been looking for a complimentary pair to whatever Grados I end up with)

How do you think the AD700's sound with regards to their warmth and overall balance? Also, how do you they compare to the SR80i's?

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #21 of 42
Well, I can't help you with how they compare to the SR80i but I might be able to help with their sound signature. The Ad700 isn't considered a "warm" headphone but in comparison to the Grado sound signature they'd be considered warmer. Comparing to the Sennheiser sound signature they'd be considered a brighter signature. So, somewhere in the middle of the two. 

Highs: Clear, slightly rolled off (in a good way), never sibilant or harsh

Mids: Slightly recessed due to the large and expansive soundstage

Bass: This is were the ad700 lacks unfortunately, not the worst but it doesn't do well with Hiphop or Pop using heavy beat loops.

Soundstage: Very wide, great separation. Sometimes the band can sound like their in a bird flight pattern heading away from the crowd instead of heading towards the crowd, if that makes any sense to you. I only noticed this on a few recordings so I wouldn't worry too much about that. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #22 of 42
The highs also don't blend in with the rest of the sound. It really stands out which can be a good or a bad thing, it doesn't sound integrated with the rest of the sound. There is some sibilance around the upper mids, which can be annoying at times to me depending on the song. I can hear it easily when the singer pronounces anything starting with or ending with S or when they say "To" or "Take" (The beginning T sound is where I hear it, "Teh" sound) for example. I also notice it on a snare drum as well, not only limited to voices. My RS1 does not have this trait but I don't think it's limited to headphones around $100 since the HD555 does not have this "problem" , thankfully I have my AD700 usage limited to gaming and movies. Sibilance is not always apparent but when it is, I do cringe a bit. The AD700 is the cheapest headphone I have at the moment so maybe it's noticeable to me when I step down from my RS1 or Westone 2 to it.

A Grado SR80 has more bass than the AD700, especially midbass (This is extremely apparent with comfies or flats) so I would think of the SR80 as the warmer phone than the AD700

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #23 of 42
I think it's interesting in that truly, we all can hear different things with the same headphones. 
smile_phones.gif

OK, so when I compared yesterday vs the SR80i's, the AD700's actually did sound better.  Less "harsh".  More balanced.

Today, I brought the AT's to work, and compared vs the SR125i's.  I was expecting to hear the same thing in that I didn't used to think there was a big difference between the 80's and the 125's.  But I actually prefer the SR125i's.  Here's how I can try to explain what I'm hearing.  Let's say there is "flat"/"neutral"/etc.  The SR125i's do have a tad more brightness to the midrange.  This is the Grado "sound" if you will.  The AD700's on the other hand, sound like there is something missing there.  So flat would be in between both of them.

The AD700 do image differently than the Grado's.  The image for the Grado's is in my head, in between my ears.  For the AD700's, it's in front (like speakers).  But because of that midrange softness, and the imaging moving forward, I do find the AD700's less involving than the Grado's.

I found I could EQ both sets to sound more similar, but the imaging difference is still there.  But after EQ'ing them both to what I like, I now can appreciate their differences better and but still like both of them. 

Someday I need to directly compare the 80's vs the 125's.  I do use a Total Bithead amp here at work, straight out of the PC at home.  Maybe that plays a part too.  But I wouldn't think that would affect harshness though ...

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #24 of 42

Quote:
The AD700 do image differently than the Grado's.  The image for the Grado's is in my head, in between my ears.  For the AD700's, it's in front (like speakers).  But because of that midrange softness, and the imaging moving forward, I do find the AD700's less involving than the Grado's.

This is what is known as soundstaging. The ad700 has an almost bloated soundstage and the Grado SR's have virtually none. Usually mids are recessed to a certain degree to achieve a large soundstage, thats why the ad700 is less personal while the Grados are more "in your face/in your ears". 

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #25 of 42

Quote:
This is what is known as soundstaging. The ad700 has an almost bloated soundstage and the Grado SR's have virtually none. Usually mids are recessed to a certain degree to achieve a large soundstage, thats why the ad700 is less personal while the Grados are more "in your face/in your ears". 

Yes, I am still learning the differences in terminology between "speakers" and "headphones." 
smile_phones.gif

Obviously, I like Grados, and I do like the AT's.  I think they both make a good pair of headphones to compare and contrast for CD listening, for example.

What I'd really like to find is a pair that splits the difference between the emphasized mids for the Grados, and the recessed mids for the AD700's.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #26 of 42
I'm not sure, but wouldn't that be the K701?

Quote:
Yes, I am still learning the differences in terminology between "speakers" and "headphones." 
smile_phones.gif

Obviously, I like Grados, and I do like the AT's.  I think they both make a good pair of headphones to compare and contrast for CD listening, for example.

What I'd really like to find is a pair that splits the difference between the emphasized mids for the Grados, and the recessed mids for the AD700's.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #27 of 42
cant go wrong

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #28 of 42
I would not buy the AD700s. I bought them for $65 refurbished, and even at that price I did not like them. The bass was terrible, and they did not provide engaging experience.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #29 of 42

Quote:
I would not buy the AD700s. I bought them for $65 refurbished, and even at that price I did not like them. The bass was terrible, and they did not provide engaging experience.

Sounds like you didn't do your research before buying them if you were surprised by the bass factor. They are bass light, even grados have more bass unamped,

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #30 of 42
Because people write stuff like this:

"People also say that they lack in bass so aren't good for rap. I disagree with this and think that, for me, they have just enough bass. If they had any more bass, some songs would have too much."

Who do you believe?

Quote:

Sounds like you didn't do your research before buying them if you were surprised by the bass factor. They are bass light, even grados have more bass unamped,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back