Thinking about picking up the Eastsound CD-E5
Apr 24, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #91 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxC
I wish I could say how using a external DAC effects the clock if any. I really don't know. I have decided against a DAC though. Go back to the AA thread you posted on about the E5. I had looked into a Bel Canto or MF 3.24 DAC. Their both suppose to sound almost identical and sell in the $1200-1300 price range.

The guy who started the thread is using the E5 thru a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC that goes for $2500. He said the only differences he noticed using the DAC was maybe a little more air. Speaks very well of the E5's internal DAC.

Yeah, I read what you said in the thread over at the asylum. I'm not planning on using a DAC with the CD-E5 at first anyways... I just have to for now until my Dynahi arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #92 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxC
BigD I think maybe its because its the weekend. However I have heard others complain about not getting return email or slow emails when sending enquires to Cattylink. When they resubmitted their emails with the header: Want to buy a ..... they got super quick responses.

One word of WARNING. There is alot of heat on the Chinese government on their currency valuation from other industrialized nations. Right now their currency is estimated to be 40% undervalued. They have talked very recently about correcting the undervaluation and tying their currency to the Euro rather then the dollar.

The hand writing is on the wall. With the Euro rising against the dollar and if China does tie its currency to the Euro. Fair market value would almost double the price of Chinese audio overnight! This may not happen soon but it will happen.

Needless to say now is the time to get any Chinese audio you may have a interest in.

BW Maxx

Maxx, I'll make a note of that: "want to buy..." Good tip to catch someone's attention.

Regarding the Chinese Yuan being undervalued at 40% is pure hypothesis and simply international politics. There have been valuable lessons in the 90's when Europe faces currency crisis in the 92-93 and Asian IMF crisis in the 97-98. Respective industrial nations with much longer free trade history were pulverized and demolished by few currency speculators. Even 12 central banks in Europe could NOT keep up with these financial sharks. Same thing repeated in Asia with short term loans and currency trading. At one point most governments faced nearly 200% devaluation.

There's no way China is ready for free trade currency yet. It's going to bring an economic disaster in the region and the world. The pressure is really political. It's a simple assumption of speculating 40% undervalue. Never been tested in the real world. China will open up their financial infrastructure slowly and readily and securely. At least I give 2 more years after the summer olympic games 2008 which makes 2010. We've got time till then.

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #93 of 1,228
Has anyone compare the E5 to Jolida JD-100 or the minimax in terms of sound quality and reliability? I am thinking about upgrading my source but I don't have a chance to audition any of them.

Thanks.

clo.

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #94 of 1,228
Purely from looking at the specs of the CD-E5 and the fact that it has compared favourably with some very expensive sources I would say that it is in a different league from the JD-100 and the Minimax. However there are some other things to consider. The Minimax can also be used as a pretty good headphone amp. There is also no warranty on the CD-E5, so if you run into troubles with it you need to get it fixed at your expense. That said, for someone who wants to take a stab at getting truely hi-fi sound on a budget I think that it is the best deal out there right now.

PS. I've been listening to my SI tripath amp and crappy speakers on it and it is really pushing those speakers to the limit.

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #96 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
until my Dynahi arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

should be any day now. I am also looking for a source upgrade...I might go with a Berendsen though...or a Rega Planet 2000...love the look of those beauts
smily_headphones1.gif

gs

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #97 of 1,228
The anticipation is killing me!
smily_headphones1.gif

My pics and the online pics that I've found really don't do the CD-E5 justice. I need to get someone with a good digital camera that knows how to use it to take some high quality shots of it.

Apr 26, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #98 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
The anticipation is killing me!
smily_headphones1.gif

My pics and the online pics that I've found really don't do the CD-E5 justice. I need to get someone with a good digital camera that knows how to use it to take some high quality shots of it.

Actually there's a thread on digicam at members' lounge. Good snap shots with steady hands should be good enough nowdays.

Apr 26, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #100 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by fox_m_a
Didi you receive the Spider rack as well? How well is it made? Have you had a chance to set it up?

I did recieve it, but just brought it home from work tonight. I will not be setting it up for good until we move to our new condo, but I will try to set it up just to have a look at it either tonight or tomorrow night.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #101 of 1,228
Well, I just got the actual box out of the 'outer box'... the way cattylink packs stuff is crazy. But its good I suppose as it ensures it all gets there in one piece.
wink.gif

The inner box is labeled:

ETKG
D600-3W
Spirit Level Stand

Personally, I think that is a very cool name.
cool.gif

I'm going to open it up and see if I can put it together... there are instructions on the box, but they are in chinese. Wish me luck.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #102 of 1,228
Well I got it all together... not easy. It is definately a difficulty level up from IKEA.
tongue.gif

The instructions are quite simple and you basically have to figure it out for yourself. Make sure that you think everything out well first. I had to do a couple things over a few times until I got it right.

But now that it is all in one piece I am quite pleased. I did everything except for the spikes. I will install those when I decide on a permanent location for it.

It looks very cool. I'll try to take some pictures of it tomorrow night.

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #104 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by fox_m_a
Once it's assembled, is it rigid? I like the idea of light and rigid, with no shelves to vibrate.

It is rigid, but I would not call it light. The aluminum centre 'gears' and posts are solid and combined with the wood this thing has a fair amount of mass. I think that when all of that mass is centred on 4 points [when I get the spikes in] this stand will do its job very well. At first I was a little worried that I would not be able to use the CD-E5's isolation feet and the spike-feet on my Dynahi, but this whole stand basically acts as a huge isolation foot so I am no longer worried.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back