Thinking about picking up the Eastsound CD-E5
May 5, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #121 of 1,228
Someone else will have to organize it. Perhaps after we see how it works out for Chillysalsa someone can start a thread to see if there is interest. Once my amp arrives and I get a chance to write some more impressions we may have a better idea of just how good it is. And people with better ears than mine will hear it at the Detroit meet.
cool.gif

May 5, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #123 of 1,228
I got the message loud and clear from Snowy:

Quote:

NICE TO KNOW YOU AND I WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS SPECIAL OFFER PROJECT AND I HAD GOT FULL AUTHORIZATION FROM OUR MANAGMENT.

WE WILL USD DHL EXPRESS DOOR-TO-DOOR DELIVERY AND WILL RECOMMEND A PURCHASE OF 6 UNITS SINCE THIS WILL BE OF ABOUT 100KG SHIPMENT WEIGHT AND THE RATE IS MORE FAVOURABLE THAN A 5 SET DELIVERY.

FOR YOUR REFERENCE: THE CURRENT RATE FOR 6 SETS OF E5 DELIVERY WILL BE USD625- INCLUDING INSURANCE.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR ANY KIND OF ASSISTANCE I CAN PROVIDE.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ENTHUSIASM AND SUPPORT ON MUSIC AND ESOUND CD PLAYERS.

SINCERELY,

SNOWY LAW
Cattylink Analog Research

I don't know exactly how big the boxes are, but I assume it will be approx. <25kg per CD player.
So, the additional shipping would be charged from (me) in Toronto to each person's door, about $30 insured in Canada (I've shipped something similar size, weight, and value, to that recently).

Philodox: did you get any duty fees charged to you from DHL later? How long ago was it delivered?

May 5, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #124 of 1,228
Chilly... Shift+F3 is your friend in MS Word. It will shrink all those CAPS down.
wink.gif

I havent had any duty charges yet and I've had it for a few weeks. I just paid $130 in duty for my Dynahi though.
blink.gif
[But it was all just taxes and a $5 handling fee so I suppose I cant complain too much]

May 6, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #125 of 1,228
There are some scattered impressions of the E.Sound in my most recent post in my Dynahi thread. I will try to compare the CD-E5 to aerius' CD player this weekend as he is coming down on Saturday for a mini-meet.
wink.gif

May 7, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #126 of 1,228
Ok, I'm going to post this in my E.Sound CD-E5 thread and in my Veda Audio Dynahi thread as it is pertinent to both.

My new home rig is making me completely rediscover my music.

It took me a while to get around to listening tonight [I started around 1pm and stopped a moment ago] as I kind of went a little overboard moving around furniture and cleaning. The end result of which is that I now have a dedicated spot for my Spirit Level Stand.
cool.gif

I didn't bother setting up everything on the stand tonight, but I will tomorrow before aerius arrives. I look forward to getting everything completely 'deployed'. I haven't been using the AR Silver Raincoat PC for the last little bit either due to its stiffness and huge size, but will try to set that up tomorrow as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

The first CD that I popped on tonight was Zero 7 - When It Falls. It has been a favourite of mine ever since it was released. After listening to it I was tempted to start a thread at the amazing recording quality of this CD as it blew me away. Before doing so I popped in Iron & Wine - Our Endless and Numbered Days and about 15 seconds in I realized that it also sounded completely transformed. So I spent the next half hour rapidly going through some favourite tracks from this CD along with Four Tet - Pause, The Postal Service - Give Up and Koop - Waltz for Koop.

WOW

I can't believe that I have a setup this good. I am so overwhelmed I don't even know what to say.
eek.gif

Overall I think that the wonderfull sound is mainly the 'fault' of the CD player. Thinking logically, the silver connectorless IC's and the Dynahi should just do their job and get the hell out of the way. They are doing this admirably. One thing that I think I can attribute to the Dynahi though is this:

OMG teh base!!!1!1!!

My K340's are normally pretty bass light, but the Dynahi has definately made them come into their own. I went a little overboard with my bolded comment above... its not earthshaking or anything, but to my ears it is perfect.

I can't wait to see what aerius thinks tomorrow and to compare CD players and amps. Hopefully I haven't lost it, but I trust his ear and he is always brutally honest.
wink.gif

May 8, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #127 of 1,228
There will be some impressions in this thread soon, and there are some pictures there now.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #128 of 1,228
This CD player keeps growing on me. It has one of the most magical midranges that I have come across. Combined with the K340 this is a match made in heaven. Listening to any music with a lot of guitar is a real treat.
smily_headphones1.gif

In addition, the soundstaging and imaging are incredible, which compliments the K340's as well. The highs have very good extension and somehow are not fatiguing even during certain recordings that are naturally 'shrieky'. The lows are well defined and go quite deep. The minute detail of this player is astonishing, definately a must try for those that like that sort of thing [I do
cool.gif
].

I think I will hold off on writing a full review until after the Detroit meet as I would like to give my set up some time to burn in and I want some time to listen to all my music.
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #130 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by awhyu
I wonder is anyone else interested in buying this cd player who is based in the UK?

Snowy offered the group buy option to US and Canada, I'm not sure if there is anything preventing him from setting up a group buy for the UK. You should send him an email and ask.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #132 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by awhyu
I should philodox, but lately snowy has been a bit silent, have you had any responses from him?

I havent had reason to talk to him lately. I'm sure if you send an email to orders AT cattylink DOT com you will get a response eventually.
wink.gif

May 24, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #133 of 1,228
Hello,
Just to keep the forums informed, I might be the first person to have
reliability/manufacturing problems with the eastsound.

In my previous posts I mentioned about strange problems reading discs which
are over 74 minutes long or have more than 16 tracks or so.

Well my eastsound cd5-e finally gave up last night, it refused to read all my cds telling "no disc" on the screen. But on the rare occassion it just might start to read a disc again, but this is quite random.

This is a bit of a letdown as the sound it produces is really enjoyable and musical, and the actual build quality of the unit is great but I dont know why the player has failed over a 2.5 month period to track cds.

- Andrew

May 25, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #134 of 1,228
I recall reading something about others having this problem too, but it was a software issue - a firmware update was available and installed on current ones.

Andrew - when was yours purchased? Have you found out about any potential firmware updates? Does it sound more like a mechanical problem when it's loading?

May 25, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #135 of 1,228
That would be cool if it turned out to be a simple fix like that. I havent had the issue myself, but have emailed Snowy asking if there is anything he can suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back