Thinking about picking up the Eastsound CD-E5
Apr 27, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #106 of 1,228
It was sent using DHL and I paid $0 in customs and duty. I'm not sure if there is a bill on the way or if I just lucked out. I looked at the papers that cattylink filled out and I think that the reason that I did not pay duty is that they recorded the value as $50. Unless I am reading the forms wrong, this worked out well for saving me money, but if anything would have happened to the package there could have been issues.
eek.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #107 of 1,228
I pointed Snowy Law from Cattylink to this thread and after reading through some of it he had some comments that he thought might interest us. He regrets that Cattylink has a policy against posting in audio forums, but said that it was alright if I pasted his words here. Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowy Law
All E5 110V version we supply will be tailor-made units by E.Sound directly and Cattylink will never modify any 220v models to 110V. As informed by the E.Sound president, he will do some final tuning works to 110V units to preserve the original spirit of E5. Since E5 European edition is now much more popular than before (in Europe) E.Sound wants to use this model name even in us market (there are still different opinions on that). So at least at this moment all 110V version units still use the EU edition chassis.

We think that "only let the original manufacturer do this" is the only way to preserve the original tonal characters of the equipment. My personal philosophy will be that every part and every material (even very minor) may be critical to a particular style and feelings of sound designed by the audio engineer. At least sellers should not do anything to spoil that.

Some technical interests of E5: the RCA analog output is a pure class a circuit design but the XLR output is using op amp (NE5534). Why?? This is interesting! E5's designer said that he wants to show his philosophy that audio parts should not determine the final sound but should obey the engineer's circuit design. It is the engineer who will fine tune the sound and not the op amp, caps or independent circuit board. So it is really interesting to compare the XLR and RCA output of E5!! I leave it to all of you!!

Another point I think I had stated before is that E5 uses TCCO - the real high-end system clock unit - which is impossible to find in ordinary priced CD players. The lowest price model I see using the TCCO apart from E5 is the expensive gryphon. E5 also uses clock distribution system design which is the first CD player (more accurately e3) that successfully employs this design in china. E5's designer had also put much emphasis on electric supply of the CD player, we can note top grade WIMA black box employed.

Personally why I always say E5 is good and the best is that this is indeed a very different CD player - has a kind of special musical emotion of eastern people that others lack; has shown to the world that a low price and old model DAC unit (crystal 4390) can create great sound and can beat many models using latest 4398 or bb1738. If you listen to Cayin's expensive new model CDt-17a you can see even this model uses the latest DAC, uses tube output, uses true balance design - it is a great loser when compared with E5. I would say that Cayin is a good tube amplifier manufacturer but only a naive child in CD player's realm.

May 1, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #108 of 1,228
I also just wanted to let everyone know that Cattylink has told me that the Silver Raincoat Power Cable is now offered as a standard free gift for all North American orders. Pretty cool. This cable is very nice.
cool.gif

May 1, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #109 of 1,228
Did your wife ever get her end table back? Thanks for posting Snowy's comments. If you go the babelfish route at the Eastsound forum you can pick up alot of info. Eastsound frequently answers questions themselves.

Cayin naive child....ouch.

BW Maxx

May 1, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #110 of 1,228
Yeah, I have placed the CD-E5 in the table underneath my TV for now. When we get the new condo I will be setting it up on the Spirit Level stand in the spare bedroom.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #112 of 1,228
Just thought I would pass along a bit more information... looks like CD-E5 group buys may be possible.
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowy Law
Our management has approved a discounted price for E.Sound E5 110v version (of course manufactured by E.Sound directly) group order of a minimum of 5 sets ($498 USD per set).

Although it is too bad that I missed out so to speak, there probably would not have been enough interest in Canada anyways. However, because of this and since my gift for waiting [the power Silver Raincoat cord] is now standard, he has promised to send me some IC's for testing as recompense. It should be fun to compare the AR Silver and AR Gold IC's to the Headphile XRS that I already have.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #115 of 1,228
Yeah, and imagine the reduced shipping costs.
evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #117 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
I'd like to organize a Canadian group buy...

Here is where I make my pissy face at me not just doing that in the first place and saving money.
frown.gif

Anyways... yeah, he is the man behind the email address. I think there is another gentleman that answers emails as well, but I've always talked to Snowy. He is a very nice guy and was a pleasure to deal with. If you'd like you can PM me your email address and I can send him an email letting him know that you want to set up a Canadian group buy.

If I was older and had more capital I would snatch a bunch of these things up [along with some of their other products] and open a hi-fi shop.
cool.gif

But I'm not and I'm pretty sure my Wife would kill me if I even suggested it.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Dammit... it doesnt look like I'm going to be the only one on here that has this CD player for long.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back