Thinking about picking up the Eastsound CD-E5
Apr 24, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #76 of 1,228
Those are 3 areas that are especially notable on the E5. The E5 has substantial bass output as noted in comparing the E3 to the Creek CDP which was noted to have "much less bass". Tight but not overly so and nice definition.

Pace, timing does give the sense of live rather then recorded IMO probably largely because of the TCCO clock. Really apparant on solos using acoustic instruments.

Nope Decay would be my choice of words. That was probably the first thing I noticed. The Cymbals just seemed to linger forever as they trail off. The black background really seems to contribute to this. Really apparant if you are using the RCA with the class A output and bypassing the Opamps.

Yes there are even some new recordings which are produced out of phase. I used it a few times and it seems to largely just give a reverb affect.

Have you figured out how to program it yet? I never really noticed the "Clos" till you mentioned it. Just checked and your right.

Did you notice the display when it is reading a CD: rEAd. Sorry I probably shouldn't have mentioned that since the Clos thing is keeping you up at nights
etysmile.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #77 of 1,228
My wife is from Chicago and that is her all time favorite movie. When my wife is surfing and comes across FB its all over and I just usually sigh and go into another room. Its a good movie but after about the 900th time thru it looses it luster.

Apr 24, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #78 of 1,228
First, I hope you feel better.
Second, nice pj's, now imagine the sound of me lol.
Third, you have a cool wife, mine would laugh at me if I asked her to take a pic of me listening to my gear to post on the net. Add the pajamas in she would be ROTF...
Fourth, I can't wait until you have your Dynahi in combo with the CD-E5.

Apr 24, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #79 of 1,228
One point to mention to all other eastsound e5 owners, do you folks encounter slow reading of cds which are over 74 minutes, sometimes on my player I have noticed this odd behaviour, but eventually the player does read the cd.

Cheers,

Andrew

P.S I do agree the TCCO clock system seems to help with the overall timing of the music being read of the CD.

Apr 24, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #80 of 1,228
I'll have to check into that 74 minute thing and let you know.

I agree your wife must be awsome. Your using her end table to put your E5 on. I have a wonderful wife as well, but wouldn't happen. Taking a picture of me in some Dragonfly PJ's to post for some audio geeks. I can see the eye rolling now.

I could say something negative about wearing Dragonfly PJ's but thinking about the possible alternatives just scares the hell out me.

BW Maxx

P.S. Make sure you have a chance to listen to the E5 with a high power amp on some good speakers. I'll have to take back the "decay" being the first thing I noticed. It would have to be the way the soundstage just exploded in size and was allowed to breath.

Sort of like taking a two barrel carburator off a Hemi and putting a good Holley on it. I'll let the younger ones scratch their heads on this one.

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #81 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxC
Those are 3 areas that are especially notable on the E5. The E5 has substantial bass output as noted in comparing the E3 to the Creek CDP which was noted to have "much less bass". Tight but not overly so and nice definition.

Good to hear some confirmation for what I was hearing... do you think that it still makes sense that I am hearing these improvements when using an external DAC though? All my listening tests yesterday were on my AOS Flute which uses a PCM1791A BB DAC chip.

Like I said, I will hook the CD-E5 up to my tripath digital amp and crappy speakers today to try to have a listen to the CD players analog section, but I doubt I will be able to do any critical listening as my speakers suck.
frown.gif
Quote:

Pace, timing does give the sense of live rather then recorded IMO probably largely because of the TCCO clock. Really apparant on solos using acoustic instruments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by awhyu
I do agree the TCCO clock system seems to help with the overall timing of the music being read of the CD.

I'm new to all the technical stuff, but does the clock still make a difference if you are just using it as a transport? Quote:

Did you notice the display when it is reading a CD: rEAd. Sorry I probably shouldn't have mentioned that since the Clos thing is keeping you up at nights.

Yeah... I figured that out though.

They put all the letters in CAPS and then realized that 'O' and 'D' would look the same and 'R' and 'A' would look the same, so they needed to put 'r' and 'd' in lowercase.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #82 of 1,228
Time to get a new digicam???
The E5 looks impeccable and mighty in its construction. Sure it's heavy too by looking at tank-like build. Apart from the cheezy logo 'eastsound' this esound has original presence. How do the buttons feel on the front panel and remote? Do they feel bullet proof as well?

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #83 of 1,228
Quote:

My wife is from Chicago and that is her all time favorite movie.

It is one of my favourites as well... its great to watch when you are sick.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
First, I hope you feel better.

Still feel kind of crappy today, but I think I'm getting better... right in time for work.
frown.gif
Quote:

Second, nice pj's, now imagine the sound of me lol.

hehe... they are comfy and were a gift from some family member at christmas.
tongue.gif

[EDIT: Apparently they were actually a gift from my Wife... my bad.
frown.gif
] Quote:

Third, you have a cool wife, mine would laugh at me if I asked her to take a pic of me listening to my gear to post on the net. Add the pajamas in she would be ROTF...

Yeah, she is great... actually she just sort of took the camera and started taking pictures without me asking. If I would have had to ask she probably would have made fun of me.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Fourth, I can't wait until you have your Dynahi in combo with the CD-E5.

You and me both buddy!
blink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by awhyu
One point to mention to all other eastsound e5 owners, do you folks encounter slow reading of cds which are over 74 minutes, sometimes on my player I have noticed this odd behaviour, but eventually the player does read the cd.

I havent noticed this yet, but I will keep an eye out for it. Quote:

Your using her end table to put your E5 on. I have a wonderful wife as well, but wouldn't happen.

That took quite a bit of convincing... and it is only for the weekend. I can't wait until we get our new condo. So much more space and I can set up my spider rack.
wink.gif
Quote:

Taking a picture of me in some Dragonfly PJ's to post for some audio geeks. I can see the eye rolling now. I could say something negative about wearing Dragonfly PJ's but thinking about the possible alternatives just scares the hell out me.

Ok, thats about enough about my jammies!!!
mad.gif
icon10.gif
[j/k] Quote:

Make sure you have a chance to listen to the E5 with a high power amp on some good speakers. I'll have to take back the "decay" being the first thing I noticed. It would have to be the way the soundstage just exploded in size and was allowed to breath.

Cool... that may have been part of what I noticed with the better imaging as a wider soundstage [or headstage in this case] would allow for better instrument separation and placement.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
The E5 looks impeccable and mighty in its construction. Sure it's heavy too by looking at tank-like build. Apart from the cheezy logo 'eastsound' this esound has original presence. How do the buttons feel on the front panel and remote? Do they feel bullet proof as well?

Yeah, the thing is definately built like the tank. The front buttons have a great response and like I said, in person the logo looks just fine.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #84 of 1,228
FYI, just thought I would post a quote here from my thread asking about the sonic benifits of a good transport: Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
The main thing I've noticed is a difference in the way the music flows; its timing/pace. Also minor things like image focus.

Both things that I noticed with the CD-E5.
cool.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #85 of 1,228
Philodox,
I've emailed about price inquiry to orders@cattylink.com, but no success. You had a similar problem before. What's their reliable email address and name contacts? There are some interesting gears like YARLAND FV-34C MKIII
TUBE INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER at $1XX, etc. That's unusually cheap???

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #86 of 1,228
Well, $1xx probably means $198.
wink.gif

In any case, just send a couple of emails to 'orders' and 'info' and then wait. I dont think they answer emails on the weekend, and they take a little time to answer the first email [or at least they did with me]. After I got into a discussion with Snowy we were emailing back and for at least once a day, so be patient.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #88 of 1,228
I sent it on Friday morning which would be Friday night there. Zero response yet. I'm going to try 'orders' and 'info' today so it gets there on Monday morning. I have to investigate on YARLAND FV-34C III Int amp. Just looks so tempting at this price, www.yarland.com/en.

Apr 24, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #89 of 1,228
Yeah, I am sure they will get back to you Monday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #90 of 1,228
I wish I could say how using a exteranal DAC effects the clock if any. I really don't know. I have decided against a DAC though. Go back to the AA thread you posted on about the E5. I had looked into a Bel Canto or MF 3.24 DAC. Their both suppose to sound almost identical and sell in the $1200-1300 price range.

The guy who started the thread is using the E5 thru a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC that goes for $2500. He said the only differences he noticed using the DAC was maybe a little more air. Speaks very well of the E5's internal DAC.

BigD I think maybe its because its the weekend. However I have heard others complain about not getting return email or slow emails when sending enquires to Cattylink. When they resubmitted their emails with the header: Want to buy a ..... they got super quick responses.

One word of WARNING. There is alot of heat on the Chinese government on their currency valuation from other industrialized nations. Right now their currency is estimated to be 40% undervalued. They have talked very recently about correcting the undervaluation and tying their currency to the Euro rather then the dollar.

The hand writing is on the wall. With the Euro rising against the dollar and if China does tie its currency to the Euro. Fair market value would almost double the price of Chinese audio overnight! This may not happen soon but it will happen.

Needless to say now is the time to get any Chinese audio you may have a interest in.

BW Maxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back