Think my Beyers are wearing out?
Jul 8, 2011 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Swingtops

Head-Fier
So I have had these DT770/80s for about two and a half years, have been listening to them on average 4 hours a day. Have over driven them a few times with the Starving Student Amp and now the left hand side is buzzing. It seems to be really bad below 150 hz and at any volume you can hear it, no pops or clicks just a background buzzing sound. So the question is are these things worn out? 
Thanks in advance for the help!

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 15
Switch all your components and try stock to over driven. If the noise is still there, test the cable:

How to test the cable:
Wiggle while listening a inch section at a time until the noise is always there.

Bad cable

drivers don't wear out that often, unless you treat them badly and blast music

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks guys
sorry for the slow reply, I thought I had set up the thread to email me updates...
anyway the driver looks nice and clean.
equipment doesn't seem change anything.
also thought it could have been the recording so I tried some flac files and still no change
and also the buzzing doesn't come and go so I'm pretty sure the cable is ok, maybe an internal connection is bad? But that would mean one of the solder joints was corroding or something. On a usage note though I have not been good to these things, and usually have the bass cranked ( my ears are not so good with low freqs )
thanks again

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 15
Try some sine waves at around 40-50hz.  See if one side is giving an added buzz/rattle.  If it is, then it is most likely a hair in the driver-- a problem pretty common for beyer headphones, as their drivers are sticky.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 15
Alright, did the signal generator test and 50-60 hz seems to be really bad. Took the left driver out and held it up to my ear - perfect. Put it back in the cup - buzz galore. I did this a few times, blew out the back of the driver with canned air, re assembled - still buzzing. Tried re routing the cable and it has helped but its still not back to the same quality as the right hand side. Also I switched them on my head to make sure I wasn't just making all this up, but the problem still followed the left driver.
I am beyond confused

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 15
After trying all the steps recommended by the guys, im afraid the driver its damaged and needs to be replaced. Imo. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 15
I remember reading a couple posts from some members saying they had problems with their drivers rattling inside the cases because the membrane couldn't reach full excursion.  Either way I'd probably just look into getting it repaired if it 's still in warranty.  Beyer gives a 2 year warranty if I remember.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 15
I had a small hair on one of mine, and it was REALLY hard to track down.  Just sayin'

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 15
How did you take the hair out of the driver?  I had a rattling issue on the left driver of my DT990, so I opened the can up and took the hairs off of the white foam covering the driver, but it doesn't seem like the driver itself is accessible without ripping that off.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #12 of 15
From reading the replies you might have already tried it; Maybe its a tube going for the afterlife? Switch them or try a without amp.
I cant believe a driver failing after 2,5 years unless you had a bad one to begin with.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
How did you take the hair out of the driver?  I had a rattling issue on the left driver of my DT990, so I opened the can up and took the hairs off of the white foam covering the driver, but it doesn't seem like the driver itself is accessible without ripping that off.

After you take off the pad, there's a plastic rim that holds the foam in place.  I had to pry that plastic off (scary), but after that I could see the hair sticking out.  If you've already taken off that plastic ring, you've gone as far as I have.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 15
I have had a pair of DT990 600's since 1992 and they are still working. Pads just wore out.... They have amazing build quality from my experiance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back