ThieAudio Voyager 14
May 12, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #511 of 558
Yes, the V14 has a great sound that is a bit more forgiving. I’m not always a big fan of a clinical listening experience, because they don’t sound very engaging or alive. The weight and smoothness gives it life and soul.
I’ve been switching between the Monarch and V14 and S8F these days and they are all very different from each other. I prefer a bit of variety in my day to day listening.
Hey, you and I have very similar iems. I have the v14 and monarch as custom and the fearless s8pro as a universal but I'm actually listening to the s8pro right now. I like how all three have thier place in my collection and they regularly get playtime Cheers.

May 12, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #512 of 558
I've never owned CIEM, i don't know what the pros and the cons are and if it's worth the cost and risk that Linsoul have highlighted.

$150 charge to be made into CIEM, $120 for earmold impressions then any additional cost on postage and custom fees and a chance they could go missing or the earmold impression may not be good enough.

I was hoping someone with experience on owning CIEM could tell me if they think it's worth what i've highlighted.
At this point getting your v14 into a custom shell from a universal seems a little more expensive than I would be comfortable with. Your entire transaction seem close to 300 bucks and a couple months wait for them to get back to you. I like my custom shell but I would recommend getting some azla xelastic fit tips and see how those work. Since I tried the xelastic tips I don't use any other tips. It changed the came for me with universal iems

May 12, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #513 of 558
At this point getting your v14 into a custom shell from a universal seems a little more expensive than I would be comfortable with. Your entire transaction seem close to 300 bucks and a couple months wait for them to get back to you. I like my custom shell but I would recommend getting some azla xelastic fit tips and see how those work. Since I tried the xelastic tips I don't use any other tips. It changed the came for me with universal iems
I'm thinking that myslef, seems a lot of money and a big risk.

xelastic arrived today so will try them out this evening.

May 18, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #514 of 558
I'm thinking that myslef, seems a lot of money and a big risk.

xelastic arrived today so will try them out this evening.
Xelastic tips are really nice and seal excellently. The only issue that I have with them is getting them in and if you have to remove and reinsert them frequently (at work) can be quite annoying. They go in well if you get a bit of water on them and they go in and seal well (re: deep insertion IEMs like the V14 and IER-Z1R & etc).

in hindsight, regarding CIEM manufacturers, I think I will be looking for companies that make /take 3D scans of your impressions to make the shells. I think that shaping is an important part of customs because they may fit perfectly, but they also need to be shaped to enter and exit your ear comfortably. This takes skill and experience and isn’t just as simple as filling in a mould with acrylic. With 3D models, shapers get the all magical “undo” button that you don’t get with using impressions. Also 3D printing seems like a faster albeit more expensive process.
just wanted to share my thoughts for those thinking about getting customs based on my experience.

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #515 of 558
In terms of quantity, how would you describe the bass? Compared to something like SHURE SE846, for eg.

Thanks.
In terms in quantity the voyager 14 has 2x 38aj sonion woofers which are the most powerful woofers available. One of those can produce 129 db at 30Hz to 600 hz and are two of those. Imagine to drive them from a powerful low impedance source. It will blow your ears .

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #516 of 558
In terms in quantity the voyager 14 has 2x 38aj sonion woofers which are the most powerful woofers available. One of those can produce 129 db at 30Hz to 600 hz and are two of those. Imagine to drive them from a powerful low impedance source. It will blow your ears .
i have been a huge fan of the v14 bass. to me it is some of the best ba bass i have ever heard. the u12t still has some darn good bass but for the music i listen to the v14 is incredibly solid

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #517 of 558
i have been a huge fan of the v14 bass. to me it is some of the best ba bass i have ever heard. the u12t still has some darn good bass but for the music i listen to the v14 is incredibly solid

I Don't have them yet to tell but I know everything About sonion - knowles because I do it my self. I have build in the past multi ba and hybrid iems . On the thieaudio is all About tuning. 2 x 38 aj sonion woofers are like 4 dynamic drivers per ear.

I never had the opportunity to test the ut12 .
I have heard a lot of good things About it.

The driver combination the voyager 14 has is the best in the world right now .
I know the potential those drivers have.

I just ordered my voyager 14 , is on the way.
I just love them without having them yet.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #519 of 558
I haven't even thought about changing them for something in a year and a half. Cool headphones with an expensive setup, detailed in the middle, highs and lows
The v14 and the monarch sounded so good I sent them back to linsoul to get them reshelled into a ciem and boy has that decision paid off. they are just my favorite iems yet and it has greatly reduced my spending in this hobby even to the point of selling off my over ears( well some of them not all)

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #521 of 558
I've had the V14 since its launch (my unit was one of the first). V14 bass is unbelievable for a BA iem. I didn't properly try the U12t but I had Anole VX. Anole VX is a marvel of an iem and while it's quite close, V14 bass is better. I also tried the FearlessxCrinacle Dawn and again, quite close but V14 bass is just better.

Another major advantage of V14 is that you can tweak the sound signature using P-EQ. You have 14 BAs to play with and you can do pretty much anything you want. I posted my P-EQ setting in this thread last summer (too lazy to go look for it right now). It makes V14 much better than stock IMO.

At the moment V14 (with P-EQ adjustment) and Monarch are my top iems and the only iems I feel I really want to own. V14 for the punchy signature and Monarch for many reasons including bass, tuning and sweet EST sound.

The main knock on V14 was slightly harsh upper mids and for some people lack of treble extension. Both are easily fixed with P-EQ.

This is very subjective but that V14 is the iem that sounds the closest to a full size headphone for me.

To put things in perspective, my experience with iems remains relatively limited. While I have owned and tested some amazing iems there's lots of great iems out there and I haven't really been following lately.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #523 of 558
Hi ...
One month of waiting and the V14 are finally here.

The bass tuning isn't good for me, is not ultra fast or ultra clean or ultra deep or something like this. It is impactfull , powerful and it really really rumbles .

A single 38aj sonion woofer is way punchier , deeper and faster than the dual 38aj on the v14 .

Thieaudio voyager 14 did the impossible possible and make the 38aj sonion woofers to sound not at the full potential.

The mids are on the thinner side of things which I don't really like. Mids Have great resolution and are natural - monitoring style .....It should be a + 3db 5k area for my taste. It also makes me wonder again how thieaudio managed to make the 2x 28uap01 sound a bit thin which in reality are rich and smooth sounding drivers.

The highs are very good, very detailed, well extended, great resolution which adds to the mids great detail , they are never harsh or sibilance. For me the highs are perfect.

I have a lot of experience from sonion and knowles drivers because I also build my own iems just for fun. I bought this set because I was very curious how will sound because is 14 BA iem and all the BA drivers are top of the line.

10 / 10 . For BA Bass
8 / 10 . Mids
10 / 10 highs
11 / 10 . Resolution - Detail monsters
10 / 10 . Wide
7 / 10 . Depth
7 / 10. 3D
9 / 10 . Clarity
9 / 10 separation
Sound quality 9 / 10

Wow effect = detail monsters + ultra wide + separation , energy.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #524 of 558
I forgot to say that they respond well to EQ ... 9 + db on bass and can be bass monsters and extremely loud.
I must do some tests with other cables, pure Cooper etc , this may fix a bit the issue with the mids I have.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #525 of 558
I forgot to say that they respond well to EQ ... 9 + db on bass and can be bass monsters and extremely loud.
I must do some tests with other cables, pure Cooper etc , this may fix a bit the issue with the mids I have.

Yeah V14 responds very well to EQ. I am surprised you find the bass lacking on them. I find V14 bass to be one of the best iem BA bass out there.

9db sounds like a lot. I EQ the bass by 3db and it's already incredible (without being basshead level).

A Quality copper cable is highly recommended.

Perhaps a deficient unit?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back