ThieAudio Voyager 14
May 5, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #497 of 558
Ah… I have gotten my V14’s back after being reshelled to CIEM. It took a while, but without needing tips, I find that I now rock them with both switches up. When I used tips, I tried to get a deep insertion and the extension on the nozzle probably emphasised the bass. I remember the bass being a bit boomy with the first switch up, but now it’s perfect. The bass has great impact, but doesn’t bleed into the upper bass range that sounds bloaty to me.
The detail is right there, but I can see how ESTs are beating out BAs because they have effortless, airy detail where as there seems to be a warmer, weightier tilt to the V14.
it’s a great sound and the move to custom was worth it.
while there are some bonuses with going custom, I think that there is an art to shaping CIEMs because they need to go in and out comfortably. This is where I think ThieAudio has room to grow and improve. The fit is not always comfortable and I have to find the right spot for comfort. As a result there are some hot and tight spots with these customs. In contrast, Fearless CIEMs slide right in and out with a gentle twist. I used the same audiologist for both moulds, so I don’t think it was the fitting. However, I did mess cup and didn’t package my moulds as carefully as I did with the fearless ones and needed to reshell the V14s a second time, but overallvb it’s a net gain.
While the V14s are not in the spotlight, they’re still a good set and offer a fun warm and detailed sound signature.

May 5, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #498 of 558
Ah… I have gotten my V14’s back after being reshelled to CIEM. It took a while, but without needing tips, I find that I now rock them with both switches up. When I used tips, I tried to get a deep insertion and the extension on the nozzle probably emphasised the bass. I remember the bass being a bit boomy with the first switch up, but now it’s perfect. The bass has great impact, but doesn’t bleed into the upper bass range that sounds bloaty to me.
The detail is right there, but I can see how ESTs are beating out BAs because they have effortless, airy detail where as there seems to be a warmer, weightier tilt to the V14.
while there are some bonuses with going custom, I think that there is an art to shaping CIEMs because they need to go in and out comfortably. This is where I think ThieAudio has room to grow and improve. The fit is not always comfortable and I have to find the right spot for comfort. As a result there are some hot and tight spots with these customs. In contrast, Fearless CIEMs slide right in and out with a gentle twist. I used the same audiologist for both moulds, so I don’t think it was the fitting. However, I did mess cup and didn’t package my moulds as carefully as I did with the fearless ones and needed to reshell the V14s a second time, but overallvb it’s a net gain.
While the V14s are not in the spotlight, they’re still a good set and offer a fun warm and detailed sound signature.
Hey i also switched from 01 to 11 when i had my v14 reshelled. the custom fit for some reason affected the bass in just the perfect way for me. they are most definitely my "fun" iems of choice

May 5, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #499 of 558
Wow, great write up! How would you compare your v14 to your MEST? 😳

May 6, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #500 of 558
While I enjoy my V14’s the MEST is something very different. On the MEST, the highs are effortless, delicate and detailed. In comparison the, V14 doesn’t have the clarity that the MEST does, but it does give a slightly more open soundstage and a bit more wight. The mids are clear and detailed on the MEST, but lack a slightly more organic timbre that the V14’s have in comparison. While listening to Andrew Bird’s Olympians, the MEST came through nice and clear, but when I switched to the V14 I immediately picked up a slight reverb to his voice. Unfortunately, the clarity that I believe bone conduction brings to mids wasn’t there. The mids on the MEST are more analytical where as the V14’s are smoother.
The bass here is as you would expect. It’s hard to compare BAs to DD’s there’s just so much more of a kinetic response that you get with DD’s. When they are both at their best, it’s not an apples to apples comparison. The MEST hits harder and rumbles lower than the V14. However, the MEST lacks the coherency between the highs mids and lows that the V14 has. The MEST, to me, has dry and analytical highs and mids, but the bass comes in with a lot of sub-bass impact that isn’t analytical at all. It’s an interesting choice in tuning regarding the MEST. The V14 has good rumble and slam that wipes nearly all the BA only IEMs that I’ve listened to, but it doesn’t being the experience that the MEST dynamic driver does. One thing about the bass on the MEST that I think I should mention is that I’m using foam tripowin tips (the ones that came with the V14) they seal really well and go deep to provide amazing isolation and bass. However the extended nozzle does emphasise the bass and might be a contributing factor to that incongruity that I feel I get from the bass.
just to sum up, I think they are both very different sets and while I enjoy the V14, the MEST is a very impactful and evocative experience. The V14 brings more balance with a slightly more organic and warmer, weightier signature.
lastly, if you didn’t have them side by side you wouldn’t know the difference and this is pretty much a waste to read this for anyone who doesn’t have both IEMs. Long story short, you’re not missing anything if you have either. Just enjoy em.

May 8, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #501 of 558
I got in touch with Linsoul about getting my V14's made into customs. They seemed quite hesitant about re-shelling the V14's and sent me the below communication.

You may send us an e-mail to request for the reshell service. The cost would be $150USD.
However, we won't be covering the cost of the ear impressions and shipping fee of the ear moulds + UIEM.
We will also not be responsible for any slow or lost parcel in transit.
As mentioned, if you would still like to proceed with the reshelling service, you have to send us photographs of the ear moulds for approval first.
And even after the photographs have been approved, the manufacturer has to obtain the ear moulds and UIEM to confirm whether or not the UIEM can be reshelled into a CIEM.
These are the possible "risks" that you would have to take.
In the e-mail, please include the order number and clearly state that you are not the original buyer.
The $150USD payment link will be sent to you via e-mail after the photographs of your ear moulds have been approved.
The remaining procedure will be provided to you via e-mail as well.
Thank you.

I take it this is the standard response that everyone gets when going to get their UIEM's re-shelled?

May 8, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #502 of 558
I got in touch with Linsoul about getting my V14's made into customs. They seemed quite hesitant about re-shelling the V14's and sent me the below communication.

You may send us an e-mail to request for the reshell service. The cost would be $150USD.
However, we won't be covering the cost of the ear impressions and shipping fee of the ear moulds + UIEM.
As mentioned, if you would still like to proceed with the reshelling service, you have to send us photographs of the ear moulds for approval first.
And even after the photographs have been approved, the manufacturer has to obtain the ear moulds and UIEM to confirm whether or not the UIEM can be reshelled into a CIEM.
In the e-mail, please include the order number and clearly state that you are not the original buyer.
The $150USD payment link will be sent to you via e-mail after the photographs of your ear moulds have been approved.
Thank you.

I take it this is the standard response that everyone gets when going to get their UIEM's re-shelled?
i got a far simpler response but this was also 9 months ago so they may be so busy now because of their recent releases and covid

May 9, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #503 of 558

Thank you.

Mine was simpler, but this clearly explains the complications and complexity of doing CIEMs through distributors. It’s too bad that V14 cannot be made using digital scans of your ears. Impressions can get damaged and kilo-buck IEMs can get lost. There’s also the cost of shipping and import taxes/restrictions.
Proceed with eyes wide open.

May 11, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #504 of 558
Do you think getting them reshelled to custom is worth the risk or am I better off leaving them as they are?

May 11, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #505 of 558
Only you can answer that question. But go in knowing what the risks, costs and rewards are. Are the costs and risks worth the reward for you?

May 11, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #506 of 558
May 11, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #507 of 558
Do you think getting them reshelled to custom is worth the risk or am I better off leaving them as they are?

Would the companies tune it or just give you a generic shell? Would it have tubes/channels for each driver set?
Sounds like a ton of hassle, just experiment with tips if it's sound, if it's not fitting then sell it (worth more) and get an alternative that fits better.

Once you reshell it then it's essentially an unknown, not worth much unless backed by graphs.

May 11, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #508 of 558
While I enjoy my V14’s the MEST is something very different. On the MEST, the highs are effortless, delicate and detailed. In comparison the, V14 doesn’t have the clarity that the MEST does, but it does give a slightly more open soundstage and a bit more wight. The mids are clear and detailed on the MEST, but lack a slightly more organic timbre that the V14’s have in comparison. While listening to Andrew Bird’s Olympians, the MEST came through nice and clear, but when I switched to the V14 I immediately picked up a slight reverb to his voice. Unfortunately, the clarity that I believe bone conduction brings to mids wasn’t there. The mids on the MEST are more analytical where as the V14’s are smoother.
The bass here is as you would expect. It’s hard to compare BAs to DD’s there’s just so much more of a kinetic response that you get with DD’s. When they are both at their best, it’s not an apples to apples comparison. The MEST hits harder and rumbles lower than the V14. However, the MEST lacks the coherency between the highs mids and lows that the V14 has. The MEST, to me, has dry and analytical highs and mids, but the bass comes in with a lot of sub-bass impact that isn’t analytical at all. It’s an interesting choice in tuning regarding the MEST. The V14 has good rumble and slam that wipes nearly all the BA only IEMs that I’ve listened to, but it doesn’t being the experience that the MEST dynamic driver does. One thing about the bass on the MEST that I think I should mention is that I’m using foam tripowin tips (the ones that came with the V14) they seal really well and go deep to provide amazing isolation and bass. However the extended nozzle does emphasise the bass and might be a contributing factor to that incongruity that I feel I get from the bass.
just to sum up, I think they are both very different sets and while I enjoy the V14, the MEST is a very impactful and evocative experience. The V14 brings more balance with a slightly more organic and warmer, weightier signature.
lastly, if you didn’t have them side by side you wouldn’t know the difference and this is pretty much a waste to read this for anyone who doesn’t have both IEMs. Long story short, you’re not missing anything if you have either. Just enjoy em.

It's what I like about it, it's forgiving on harsh tracks but has a nice organic, meaty sound (switch 1/2 up).

I also wonder how many have used a QDC cable with the reverse polarity? Some of the cables that Linsoul sell are reversed polarity.

May 12, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #509 of 558
It's what I like about it, it's forgiving on harsh tracks but has a nice organic, meaty sound (switch 1/2 up).

I also wonder how many have used a QDC cable with the reverse polarity? Some of the cables that Linsoul sell are reversed polarity.
Yes, the V14 has a great sound that is a bit more forgiving. I’m not always a big fan of a clinical listening experience, because they don’t sound very engaging or alive. The weight and smoothness gives it life and soul.
I’ve been switching between the Monarch and V14 and S8F these days and they are all very different from each other. I prefer a bit of variety in my day to day listening.

May 12, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #510 of 558
Only you can answer that question. But go in knowing what the risks, costs and rewards are. Are the costs and risks worth the reward for you?
I've never owned CIEM, i don't know what the pros and the cons are and if it's worth the cost and risk that Linsoul have highlighted.

$150 charge to be made into CIEM, $120 for earmold impressions then any additional cost on postage and custom fees and a chance they could go missing or the earmold impression may not be good enough.

I was hoping someone with experience on owning CIEM could tell me if they think it's worth what i've highlighted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back