ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
May 19, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2,341 of 4,758
How is the quality control? Has anyone had any problems?

On MEST I have never read anything negative, on Monarch, on the other hand, I have seen someone complaining that it breaks down after a few months

May 19, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #2,342 of 4,758
I had a same demand and I went for MEST. If you want to choose btw Clair and Monarch for your music taste, Clair may better suit, but the sound signature that you described seems to be more like Monarch. For that exact same reason, I chose Monarch over Clair as I want more clairity and better technicalities even though i am aware that clair has FR curve that serves better for metal genre. I assume FR could be a bit corrected by EQing but technicalities harder to be improved.
Are you happy with MEST?

Does it work well with extreme metal too, with faster, more complex and more intricate music?

May 19, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #2,343 of 4,758
Are you happy with MEST?

Does it work well with extreme metal too, with faster, more complex and more intricate music?
I like progreasive metal such as Dream Theater and death metal such as Death, Opeth etc. MEST works well for those genre without showing any issue in busy tracks. But you may miss some warmth and body to the male vocal. But the texture of all male and female vocal is exceptional.

May 19, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2,345 of 4,758
How is the quality control? Has anyone had any problems?

On MEST I have never read anything negative, on Monarch, on the other hand, I have seen someone complaining that it breaks down after a few months
I was one of the unlucky. Both sides of my monarch had bloated bass, lost of the rumbling bass after 5 months. Shipped back to Linsoul & waited for more than a month for the replacement. Not a good experience as this is my very first so called high end IEM purchase. No doubt the sound quality is really nice but the quality of what’s inside the monarch shell, it’s questionable.

I do worry the life span of the current replacement unit. Not sure when it will die on me. If it does, my next purchase would not be Thieaudio for sure.

May 19, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #2,346 of 4,758
I was one of the unlucky. Both sides of my monarch had bloated bass, lost of the rumbling bass after 5 months. Shipped back to Linsoul & waited for more than a month for the replacement. Not a good experience as this is my very first so called high end IEM purchase. No doubt the sound quality is really nice but the quality of what’s inside the monarch shell, it’s questionable.

I do worry the life span of the current replacement unit. Not sure when it will die on me. If it does, my next purchase would not be Thieaudio for sure.
I started to worry as well. I will use Monarch everyday from now on and hopefully mine will not be one of them. Another issue I have with regard to Thieaudio is thier quick launch of oracle/excalibur twin, which pretty much eliminate the value of Monarch/Clair.

May 19, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #2,347 of 4,758
thier quick launch of oracle/excalibur twin, which pretty much eliminate the value of Monarch/Clair
Does it, though..? It's impossible to say, without hearing them all :5 I think I will only give 1 of them a shot, though, then skip the rest and move up to MEST or higher if I'm not satisfied.

Here's a direct question - Does Clair, and/or Oracle, have bass at least as deep and strong as FH3?

May 19, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #2,348 of 4,758
Does it, though..? It's impossible to say, without hearing them all :5 I think I will only give 1 of them a shot, though, then skip the rest and move up to MEST or higher if I'm not satisfied.

Here's a direct question - Does Clair, and/or Oracle, have bass at least as deep and strong as FH3?
This is interesting question. Although FH3 is not my favorite IEM, but it always surprise me with its bass quantity and quality. It has exceptional thump.

May 19, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #2,349 of 4,758
FH3 is not my favorite IEM, but it always surprise me with its bass quantity and quality. It has exceptional thump.
:) The Tea can't match its bass, for sure. I put most of my IEM collection up for sale recently, and FH3 was the one I took off the list! I like your IEM list!

May 19, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #2,350 of 4,758
I saw lately there's been mentioned lots of TOTL sets here. Monarch was on my radar for quite a long time, but after my recent fiasco with Thieaudio and Linsoul I'm not sure I'm ready to trust them again.
Dillema is, I have 1500 usd to spend on next (near) TOTL iem alone or swallow my pride and get Monarch and ifi micro signature. That should be my last audio purchase for a long time due to other responsibilities.
Recently someone here mentioned Monarch and signature combo and I'm so tempted, because I know both Monarch and signature are exactly what I want. Monarch having near perfect tuning and technicalities for the price and signature being awesome and future proof amp-dac...
I've been saving to get me something nice but I'm afraid of thieaudio s QC and Linsouls "don't give a ****" policy.
If I were to go with only 1500 bucks iem I don't know what to get. I don't have any experience in this price range.
I'm waiting for reply from headphones.com, maybe I'll get Monarch from them.
Any suggestions?
Yea, Im the guy that has the Monarch and the Signature. The Signature pairs extremely well with the Monarchs in my opinion. Especially with the 7.0c firmware enabling GTO. The Signature adds much needed warmth, body and texture to the Monarchs. However, for my specific tastes, I find that feeding the Signature into the xCAN and using its xBassII Instead of the xBass on the Signature, the bass is more pronounced and adds even more rumble. It's a wonderful pairing for sure.

May 20, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #2,351 of 4,758
That's almost the exact same logic I used to choose the Monarchs over the Clairvoyance. After I got them, I found that the Monarchs fit me better than I thought they would from a tuning point of view.
I listen to a lot of genres including Rock and Metal, and bought the Clairvoyance. The graph looked a little better for my taste. I've always noticed with lesser priced earphones (these are my first over $400 ones), that if you bump the bass up, the earphones react worse than if you bump up, say mids or highs. So, since the bass to CL bass was more to my taste, I bought those. However, once I received them, I realized that they are not for music but for technicality. Though they had better response in bass, there just wasn't enough juice 100-500Hz to spit out that fat, chunky sound. It's like listening to tiny (albeit high quality) guitar amp than a similar quality huge stacked one. Another mess was a small freq band scooped out from the highs, such that there was the last upper range shimmer but no sparkle... like when hi-hats play, you hear "tssssp" instead of "tsshhp". This went away when I eq-ed the CL mid-upper range to that of MN, and made the transition smoother. Eq-ing it down a little from 125-200Hz also made the instrument separation better and increased the depth and width. So I believer Monarch should be better in those technicalities .However, IMO, both of these are for technicalities alone, in which Monarch would be better, but neither show that fat, chunky sound... and if you eq them to that... the technicalities reduce dramatically.
One advantage I have is that I have the Diana and the cable from that made a world of difference to the Clairvoyance. It covered the potholes and made the sound smoother and richer. Now, I'm happier with them... more so than to eq them to sound more like Monarch. These were the only cables that did that from the few that I had, and they mostly wont work for Monarch since if I eq them to sound more like Monarch, they damage the sound than make it better. All said, I think Monarch would be a better choice of the two, no matter what kind of music one listens to; but neither is the right fit for music in it's natural tonality. The people considering these should be looking to find space, soundstage, imaging, instrument separation etc. at the cost of a natural tonality of the instruments. (I've explained more in my review of Clairvoyance here).
Also, people who already own the clairvoyance and Diana, have to try using the Diana cable with Clairvoyance; I think complement each other such that, I feel that's how Clairvoyance should've sounded out of the box in the first place. The cable seems to give a new life to the earphones, and songs like Pour some sugar... sound huge, with a huge amount of space, almost like listening to them live and good tonality and smoothness to the sound; similar experience with DT, ACDC, IM etc., though not as good as the one with some Def Leppard, due to perhaps the huge arena type reverb used on the tracks.

May 20, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #2,352 of 4,758
I listen to a lot of genres including Rock and Metal, and bought the Clairvoyance. The graph looked a little better for my taste. I've always noticed with lesser priced earphones (these are my first over $400 ones), that if you bump the bass up, the earphones react worse than if you bump up, say mids or highs. So, since the bass to CL bass was more to my taste, I bought those. However, once I received them, I realized that they are not for music but for technicality. Though they had better response in bass, there just wasn't enough juice 100-500Hz to spit out that fat, chunky sound. It's like listening to tiny (albeit high quality) guitar amp than a similar quality huge stacked one. Another mess was a small freq band scooped out from the highs, such that there was the last upper range shimmer but no sparkle... like when hi-hats play, you hear "tssssp" instead of "tsshhp". This went away when I eq-ed the CL mid-upper range to that of MN, and made the transition smoother. Eq-ing it down a little from 125-200Hz also made the instrument separation better and increased the depth and width. So I believer Monarch should be better in those technicalities .However, IMO, both of these are for technicalities alone, in which Monarch would be better, but neither show that fat, chunky sound... and if you eq them to that... the technicalities reduce dramatically.
One advantage I have is that I have the Diana and the cable from that made a world of difference to the Clairvoyance. It covered the potholes and made the sound smoother and richer. Now, I'm happier with them... more so than to eq them to sound more like Monarch. These were the only cables that did that from the few that I had, and they mostly wont work for Monarch since if I eq them to sound more like Monarch, they damage the sound than make it better. All said, I think Monarch would be a better choice of the two, no matter what kind of music one listens to; but neither is the right fit for music in it's natural tonality. The people considering these should be looking to find space, soundstage, imaging, instrument separation etc. at the cost of a natural tonality of the instruments. (I've explained more in my review of Clairvoyance here).
Also, people who already own the clairvoyance and Diana, have to try using the Diana cable with Clairvoyance; I think complement each other such that, I feel that's how Clairvoyance should've sounded out of the box in the first place. The cable seems to give a new life to the earphones, and songs like Pour some sugar... sound huge, with a huge amount of space, almost like listening to them live and good tonality and smoothness to the sound; similar experience with DT, ACDC, IM etc., though not as good as the one with some Def Leppard, due to perhaps the huge arena type reverb used on the tracks.
I’ll agree to disagree. I certainly would not say you’re “wrong” at all, it’s just that it very much depends on what one’s definition of “musical” is. It‘s very subjective. I find the Clair to be very musical, with my ideal tuning. I like somewhat subdued midbass, that provides clean mids, and I actually find it more natural sounding to my ears. With too much midbass, I often perceive it like poorly braced speakers that are very resonant, or cheap bluetooth speakers that overboost the midbass to trick people into thinking there is a lot of bass from a tiny speaker.

You do bring up a very good point. With the exception of the Excalibur, all of the TA tribrids are sub bass biased. The Monarch happens to be extremely sub bass biased, with it being neutral by 150Hz.

I do agree, though, that the Clair treble is a bit splashy, though not as much as with the OG MEST. I think it is a product of boosted upper treble with the EST drivers.

I think you would really like the Penon Volt, based on your above comments.

May 20, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #2,353 of 4,758
I saw lately there's been mentioned lots of TOTL sets here. Monarch was on my radar for quite a long time, but after my recent fiasco with Thieaudio and Linsoul I'm not sure I'm ready to trust them again.
Dillema is, I have 1500 usd to spend on next (near) TOTL iem alone or swallow my pride and get Monarch and ifi micro signature. That should be my last audio purchase for a long time due to other responsibilities.
Recently someone here mentioned Monarch and signature combo and I'm so tempted, because I know both Monarch and signature are exactly what I want. Monarch having near perfect tuning and technicalities for the price and signature being awesome and future proof amp-dac...
I've been saving to get me something nice but I'm afraid of thieaudio s QC and Linsouls "don't give a ****" policy.
If I were to go with only 1500 bucks iem I don't know what to get. I don't have any experience in this price range.
I'm waiting for reply from headphones.com, maybe I'll get Monarch from them.
Any suggestions?
Yea, Im the guy that has the Monarch and the Signature. The Signature pairs extremely well with the Monarchs in my opinion. Especially with the 7.0c firmware enabling GTO. The Signature adds much needed warmth, body and texture to the Monarchs. However, for my specific tastes, I find that feeding the Signature into the xCAN and using its xBassII Instead of the xBass on the Signature, the bass is more pronounced and adds even more rumble. It's a wonderful pairing for sure.

May 20, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,354 of 4,758
I wish I didn’t have to comment based on memory, and others may be able to give you more accurate information, but I don’t recall the FH3 having more bass than the Clair. Perhaps different bass qualities, but a similar quantity. The Clair is more sub bass biased to me, compared to the FH3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back