ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
May 20, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,356 of 4,771
Does it, though..? It's impossible to say, without hearing them all :5 I think I will only give 1 of them a shot, though, then skip the rest and move up to MEST or higher if I'm not satisfied.

Here's a direct question - Does Clair, and/or Oracle, have bass at least as deep and strong as FH3?
Not sure if this helps but here are the graphs together for the FH3 and Clairvoyance.

Clairvoyance vs FH3.JPG

May 20, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,358 of 4,771
I’ll agree to disagree. I certainly would not say you’re “wrong” at all, it’s just that it very much depends on what one’s definition of “musical” is. It‘s very subjective. I find the Clair to be very musical, with my ideal tuning. I like somewhat subdued midbass, that provides clean mids, and I actually find it more natural sounding to my ears. With too much midbass, I often perceive it like poorly braced speakers that are very resonant, or cheap bluetooth speakers that overboost the midbass to trick people into thinking there is a lot of bass from a tiny speaker.

You do bring up a very good point. With the exception of the Excalibur, all of the TA tribrids are sub bass biased. The Monarch happens to be extremely sub bass biased, with it being neutral by 150Hz.

I do agree, though, that the Clair treble is a bit splashy, though not as much as with the OG MEST. I think it is a product of boosted upper treble with the EST drivers.

I think you would really like the Penon Volt, based on your above comments.
Well, yes, excuse me for using the word "music". The reason I used the word because there's just so much that's missing... the punchy attack and ringing of the toms/snare, the resonance of the acoustic guitars, the natural decay of acoustic instruments (maybe due to the resonance or reverb, lost in the 200-500Hz), the violins section sounds like it's missing body, the distortion on the guitars is missing the beefy/chunky nature...
Not to just criticize, I love the earphones... the soundstage, instrument separation, the imaging, the quality in the instruments sounds... just, would've preferred a more natural tonality.
And while two people can have the same or completely different preferences, I believe, what sounds natural to one, will sound "almost" natural to the other.

May 20, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #2,359 of 4,771
Let me ask you a question.
Whitch of the Tribrids signature is more like QDC VX ?

Thank´s in advance.

May 20, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #2,361 of 4,771
Does anyone have a good tip for a portable DAC up to 200 USD for the ThieAudio Tribrids? Would the Fiio BTR5 a good choice?
BTR5 or Qudelix 5K are highly regarded twins,

May 20, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #2,364 of 4,771
Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,366 of 4,771
My next purchase is already booked :tired_face: Blessing-EST (2EST+2Softears MID BA+LCP DD Bass)
wow.... the way I justify my purchase of Monarch was that I would stop after adding it to my collection. But this news makes my oath already unstable.
I am willing to break my self-made rule if Moondrop puts next-gen multi BA (M8 or whatever the name would be) or tribrid IEM :)
The addition of EST would definitely bridge the gap between Blessing 2 and other higher end IEMs in the market, and I also hope that they would redefine the price bracket by outperforming the 500$ tribrid (would be even better if it has some unique characteristics that I can have both Monarch and their new EST set lol).

May 20, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #2,367 of 4,771
May 20, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #2,368 of 4,771
You're so right about the Monarchs being great for orchestral! I listen to almost all genres, but in order of time spent it would be classical, rock, jazz, EDM, opera. My struggle has been getting good IEMs for orchestral / symphonic music. I had tried out the EE Valkyrie, but the problem was I didn't like the mid-range and vocals, where they were beat out by the PEARS 3, which I bought as a CIEM. ThieAudio was kind enough to CIEM the Monarch for me recently (they made an exception to no CIEMs for a bit because my communication with them on the CIEMs preceded their pause), and I find the Monarchs perfectly hit the spot for orchestral music. I still haven't decided whether I prefer the Monarch or the PEARS for vocals as I haven't A/B'd enough. I do prefer both to my other CIEM, which is the Westone ES-5s. To be fair though, my Westones are very old (hence ES5 not ES50), and BAs have improved a lot over the past decade

May 20, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #2,369 of 4,771
And while two people can have the same or completely different preferences, I believe, what sounds natural to one, will sound "almost" natural to the other.
While this makes perfect sense, and I would think it to be the case, in reality, it doesn’t seem to really hold true. This is what makes IEMs (unlike speakers or HPs) so much more finicky. Our individual ear anatomy alters how we perceive real sounds, so our perspective is different when it comes to reproduced sounds. IEMs bypass much of our ear anatomy.

Also, the point of view that one is most used to when listening to natural sounds, influences what sounds most realistic to them. Is one used to listening to an orchestra from the front rows, or used to being in the orchestra playing the viola, or perhaps the bells? Is one used to hearing electric guitars through amps or direct? Is one used to large venues or small? FWIW, I‘ve been playing drums casually for over a couple decades, so I’m used to hearing drum sounds from that perspective. I’ve also played piano, but I’ve never played the violin or trombone, so I don’t know how they sound from a 1st person perspective.

In general, I just happen to be very sensitive to resonant sounds, so mid bass fullness can very easily come across as boomy to me. I know that there are many people who perceive sounds as you do, but I think there are some who have the same sensitivities as I do as well.

May 20, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #2,370 of 4,771
You're so right about the Monarchs being great for orchestral! I listen to almost all genres, but in order of time spent it would be classical, rock, jazz, EDM, opera. My struggle has been getting good IEMs for orchestral / symphonic music. I had tried out the EE Valkyrie, but the problem was I didn't like the mid-range and vocals, where they were beat out by the PEARS 3, which I bought as a CIEM. ThieAudio was kind enough to CIEM the Monarch for me recently (they made an exception to no CIEMs for a bit because my communication with them on the CIEMs preceded their pause), and I find the Monarchs perfectly hit the spot for orchestral music. I still haven't decided whether I prefer the Monarch or the PEARS for vocals as I haven't A/B'd enough. I do prefer both to my other CIEM, which is the Westone ES-5s. To be fair though, my Westones are very old (hence ES5 not ES50), and BAs have improved a lot over the past decade
Yes Monarch is really well tuned, Westone got some talent in tuning inoffensive treble and mild midrange which Monarch inherit some of it, being smooth yet extremely detail engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back