ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
May 20, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,371 of 4,753
Let me ask you a question.
Whitch of the Tribrids signature is more like QDC VX ?

Thank´s in advance.
I have VX, and answer is from Thieaudio there are none of tribrids that is reminiscent to VX. You may try TRI Starsea($129) for little-VX, and DUNU SA6 ($550) for Mini-VX.

Here is the reference:
Starsea
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kb-ear-audio-impressions-thread.912673/post-16335192

SA6
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dunu-topsound-studio.932667/post-16365785

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #2,372 of 4,753
Oops, I think I just heard a weakness of the Monarchs. I was playing some tracks from Jazz at the Pawnshop and it was further from being in a club than I thought it should be. So I played the same tracks on my desktop speakers (Solo6 Be), my DCA headphones via Topping DAC/amp, and my LR system (tubes+Revel). Also compared to my PEARS3 using DAP, both balanced and 3.5. In all comparisons, the Monarchs has less of the sharp edge one hears live from brass like sax and trumpets. (And of course all they systems still pale compared to live music.) So now I know for some music I do prefer the PEARS over the Monarchs.

I'm not a big believer in burn-in, but my Monarchs probably have only 30 hours on them, so perhaps that's it. What have you folks heard in terms of its transient edge for brass instruments?

May 21, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #2,373 of 4,753
Oops, I think I just heard a weakness of the Monarchs. I was playing some tracks from Jazz at the Pawnshop and it was further from being in a club than I thought it should be. So I played the same tracks on my desktop speakers (Solo6 Be), my DCA headphones via Topping DAC/amp, and my LR system (tubes+Revel). Also compared to my PEARS3 using DAP, both balanced and 3.5. In all comparisons, the Monarchs has less of the sharp edge one hears live from brass like sax and trumpets. (And of course all they systems still pale compared to live music.) So now I know for some music I do prefer the PEARS over the Monarchs.

I'm not a big believer in burn-in, but my Monarchs probably have only 30 hours on them, so perhaps that's it. What have you folks heard in terms of its transient edge for brass instruments?
Sonion EST and regular dynamic drivers are somehow going to smooth out thru burn in, you may give a pink noise 70 more hours for EST drivers. The transient at the beginning for chamber instruments has small spikes

May 21, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #2,374 of 4,753
Thanks a lot. Is there a big difference between both?
For me, the qudelix is much more versatile because of the incredible app it has, and that wonderful parametric equalizer with 10 rules and 20 customizable profiles.
For me the qudelix has become totally essential.

May 21, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #2,375 of 4,753
I have VX, and answer is from Thieaudio there are none of tribrids that is reminiscent to VX. You may try TRI Starsea($129) for little-VX, and DUNU SA6 ($550) for Mini-VX.

Here is the reference:
Starsea
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kb-ear-audio-impressions-thread.912673/post-16335192

SA6
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dunu-topsound-studio.932667/post-16365785
@AmericanSpirit
Since you have two high-end tribrid and Anole VX, can you share your impression on how TOTL all BA IEM's treble sounds compared to treble from EST drivers in well-tuned tribrids?
Thanks for your valuable inputs all the time :)

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #2,376 of 4,753
Just ordered 8 core graphene cable (Darkjade analog), 4 core SPC cables (C4-1 and WhiteCrane analog) from XinHS for my incoming Monarch.
I have C4-1 and WhiteCrane for MMCX or QDC and I love the sound with those cables.
Hope at least one of them has good matching with Monarch.
Also I am excited to test above cables with UM 3DT as well, as I want to expand the soundstage and enhnce treble extension/sparkle.

May 21, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #2,377 of 4,753
@AmericanSpirit
Since you have two high-end tribrid and Anole VX, can you share your impression on how TOTL all BA IEM's treble sounds compared to treble from EST drivers in well-tuned tribrids?
EST driver does better in terms of “silky” touch, but actually VX resolution as good as S+ resolving Monarch. VX has tremendous layering capability and contradictory non fatiguing tuning, so that’s something special. And that’s why I guess qdc launched V14, basically VX+4EST. It’s up to one’s appetite, the extreme god like transparency and details or just a pleasant tuned great IEM. I took the later one, since Monarch already satisfied the “detail retrieving” part.

May 21, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #2,378 of 4,753
Just ordered 8 core graphene cable (Darkjade analog), 4 core SPC cables (C4-1 and WhiteCrane analog) from XinHS for my incoming Monarch.
I have C4-1 and WhiteCrane for MMCX or QDC and I love the sound with those cables.
Hope at least one of them has good matching with Monarch.
Also I am excited to test above cables with UM 3DT as well, as I want to expand the soundstage and enhnce treble extension/sparkle.
Wow! So many! Let us know how it fits.

I ordered 2 of PW Audio’s copper cable, one with qdc finish for VX, and another one with regular 2pin, I’m thinking for Mangird Tea or Monarch.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #2,379 of 4,753
EST driver does better in terms of “silky” touch, but actually VX resolution as good as S+ resolving Monarch. VX has tremendous layering capability and contradictory non fatiguing tuning, so that’s something special. And that’s why I guess qdc launched V14, basically VX+4EST. It’s up to one’s appetite, the extreme god like transparency and details or just a pleasant tuned great IEM. I took the later one, since Monarch already satisfied the “detail retrieving” part.
Yeah. QDC Anole V14 is my new dream IEM, but I am not brave and rich enough to pull the trigger buying 3K IEM yet. I am also afraid to know that there's something a lot better if I spend that much money. :)
I guess Anole VX will be as good as V14. Of course, EST may handle treble a bit better, but value for money would be sharply diminishing when moving from VX to V14.

May 21, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #2,380 of 4,753
While this makes perfect sense, and I would think it to be the case, in reality, it doesn’t seem to really hold true. This is what makes IEMs (unlike speakers or HPs) so much more finicky. Our individual ear anatomy alters how we perceive real sounds, so our perspective is different when it comes to reproduced sounds. IEMs bypass much of our ear anatomy.

Also, the point of view that one is most used to when listening to natural sounds, influences what sounds most realistic to them. Is one used to listening to an orchestra from the front rows, or used to being in the orchestra playing the viola, or perhaps the bells? Is one used to hearing electric guitars through amps or direct? Is one used to large venues or small? FWIW, I‘ve been playing drums casually for over a couple decades, so I’m used to hearing drum sounds from that perspective. I’ve also played piano, but I’ve never played the violin or trombone, so I don’t know how they sound from a 1st person perspective.

In general, I just happen to be very sensitive to resonant sounds, so mid bass fullness can very easily come across as boomy to me. I know that there are many people who perceive sounds as you do, but I think there are some who have the same sensitivities as I do as well.
"IEMs bypass much of our ear anatomy" - this was indeed the reason that I mentioned that one person's natural will be similar for the other person as well, since ear sensitivity was already acting when they both heard the same real thing, and the pinna won't come into play at all. So the only thing that will differ will be the resonant frequency of the ear canal. (Neither will feel the bass through the chest, back, head or buttocks anyways, so it's all the same there).

But your point on the point of view/listening makes perfect sense. That could be the reason a lot of people are finding these natural while I'm not. Thanks.

May 21, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #2,381 of 4,753
Sonion EST and regular dynamic drivers are somehow going to smooth out thru burn in, you may give a pink noise 70 more hours for EST drivers. The transient at the beginning for chamber instruments has small spikes
Thanks for the advice. I'll A/B again later after I've burned in a lot more

May 21, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #2,382 of 4,753
Tracking on my Monarchs show they arrived at the airport last night in the UK. Guessing they might get delivered on Monday hopefully. Probably still take another couple of days to give it to the local courier and get it out for delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back