thieaudio phantom information?
Sep 17, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #91 of 198
That's what I did in my m1060s and it works great.
An implementation question... Did you stretch out the material, or just used it without stretching it? I ask because I imagine it will be harder to stretch and cut, but if that's the best way it's what I will do.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #93 of 198
An implementation question... Did you stretch out the material, or just used it without stretching it? I ask because I imagine it will be harder to stretch and cut, but if that's the best way it's what I will do.

I applied glue to the grill, stretched the fabric to the width of the grill, and then applied the grill onto the material and clamped it down. I waited for the glue to dry and then used an exacto knife to cut the excess material around the grill.

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #94 of 198
These have a fairly natural tonality and balanced presentation. Is detail extraction the only area where they cannot compete with 1k+ cans ?

Anyone having any impressions of downsides to these cans ?
If they had a 2-5 year warranty that would maybe swing a stronger movement towards buying them.

I'm getting M1060C tomorrow to A\B them both - but I know the C are sub-bass slanted, comfort issues and less cohesive in balance from mid-bass to treble from reading....

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #95 of 198
For people looking for more going on with this headphone you would be better off in hifi guides. We have someone making us fazzor and grill.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #96 of 198
Quiet here for a while... to all those interested in the Phantoms... don’t. They have horribly scooped out upper mids and lower treble. The graphs I have seen are atrocious. No amount of modding can fix this fundamental problem - and I have tried virtually all of the mods. I know everyone want a good deal. These aren’t them. I know Zeos and BGGAR rec them. They may have liked them but a lot don’t - otherwise people wouldn’t be so keen to mod them.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #98 of 198
@jsmiller58 I don't know if you ended up with a bad pair or I ended up with a unicorn, but mine were fantastic when I got them, and even better with a couple mods. The foam over the driver on the ear pad side has been removed and then used as the foam on the grill side of the driver. The material that was glued to my grill has been removed, and I've added Audeze Vegan pads. I don't have scooped out upper mids/lower treble at all. As for modding, I have to disagree that people only mod them because they aren't any good. I don't think modding means something sucked to begin with, it's just tweaking something to be even better. Similar to every car I've ever owned, I've modded either performance or appearance, or more often than not both. But the cars didn't suck when I bought them, I just wanted to personalize them.

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #99 of 198
@jsmiller58 I don't know if you ended up with a bad pair or I ended up with a unicorn, but mine were fantastic when I got them, and even better with a couple mods. The foam over the driver on the ear pad side has been removed and then used as the foam on the grill side of the driver. The material that was glued to my grill has been removed, and I've added Audeze Vegan pads. I don't have scooped out upper mids/lower treble at all. As for modding, I have to disagree that people only mod them because they aren't any good. I don't think modding means something sucked to begin with, it's just tweaking something to be even better. Similar to every car I've ever owned, I've modded either performance or appearance, or more often than not both. But the cars didn't suck when I bought them, I just wanted to personalize them.

I am trying to score some custom grills. My logo will be nice....those shiny aluminum would be nice that dude made but i'll take the other ones the dude just opened a shop around 3D grills for these.
If he don't ship to Japan I can score you something from Japan if you can get and ship to me :)

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #100 of 198
I love my phantoms treble is good and mids are fine. Bass is great. I don’t listen for imaging or soundstage. Remember people buying Ford Festiva only to mod that car. I’m talking about the original Festiva. Car was mad ugly and had no performance until engine swap.

Oct 1, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #101 of 198
I am trying to score some custom grills. My logo will be nice....those shiny aluminum would be nice that dude made but i'll take the other ones the dude just opened a shop around 3D grills for these.
If he don't ship to Japan I can score you something from Japan if you can get and ship to me :)

PM'ed

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #102 of 198
@Hawaiibadboy @OldDude04

Guys, I apologize - I was probably projecting a bit... I am not into modding (never modded a PC or a car, for example). The only headphones I ever modded were the 1060s and that was because of well publicized sound issues. I never really paid attention to modding of good headphones, other than noting pad changes (in my experience only comfort would get better, but sound invariably got worse for me). So I assume folks are modding the foam, removing nylon from grill, changing the pads, adding “difussors” etc because they did not like the stock sound. That was assumption on my part and not backed up by any evidence. I do realize that I am not one of them, some people like tinker, and this falls into a price category people like to tinker with!

As to sound, there is an FR graph on hifiguides to share... I am not a big graph reader, and I know less than nothing about the particular measurement rig and methodology employed in this case... but I have to ask... is a good FR supposed to look like that?

54227ACF-98D8-46EF-B60F-1D858607EA9A.jpeg

(https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/new-350-planars-thieaudio-phantom/2520/716 post 709)

Of course, who knows how other better known cans would measure using same rig and methodology, etc. Anyway, while it is probably confirmation bias on my part, this graph looks a lot like what I hear... muddy bass, some peaky treble, little in between.

But, to be clear about my biases, my favorite over ears are my Elex, and my favorite IEMs are my S8F, R2 Aten, and TSMR-3 Pro (switches 1 & 2). I own the Sundara that I think are much cleaner / clearer sounding than the Phantoms, though leagues behind the Elex. Overall I like a clear, less dark, more dynamic sound where there is good separation between notes. I do like bass, very much so, but it can’t bleed, or be perceived as bleeding into other frequencies. Mids maybe can be a tiny bit recessed, but not much as I do like vocals. I like good extension to treble, but no sibilance. Basically I think a slight V take on the Harman curve. I feel that the Phantoms are darker sounding than what I am used to because they are missing a lot of information from some parts of the frequency spectrum, and to me they also sound much less dynamic and punchy than my favorites (@Hawaiibadboy i blame you for introducing me to the S8F).

But that is just me, and I am thrilled if others are happy with their Phantoms!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #103 of 198
@Hawaiibadboy @OldDude04

Guys, I apologize - I was probably projecting a bit... I am not into modding (never modded a PC or a car, for example). The only headphones I ever modded were the 1060s and that was because of well publicized sound issues. I never really paid attention to modding of good headphones, other than noting pad changes (in my experience only comfort would get better, but sound invariably got worse for me). So I assume folks are modding the foam, removing nylon from grill, changing the pads, adding “difussors” etc because they did not like the stock sound. That was assumption on my part and not backed up by any evidence. I do realize that I am not one of them, some people like tinker, and this falls into a price category people like to tinker with!

As to sound, there is an FR graph on hifiguides to share... I am not a big graph reader, and I know less than nothing about the particular measurement rig and methodology employed in this case... but I have to ask... is a good FR supposed to look like that?

(https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/new-350-planars-thieaudio-phantom/2520/716 post 709)

Of course, who knows how other better known cans would measure using same rig and methodology, etc. Anyway, while it is probably confirmation bias on my part, this graph looks a lot like what I hear... muddy bass, some peaky treble, little in between.

But, to be clear about my biases, my favorite over ears are my Elex, and my favorite IEMs are my S8F, R2 Aten, and TSMR-3 Pro (switches 1 & 2). I own the Sundara that I think are much cleaner / clearer sounding than the Phantoms, though leagues behind the Elex. Overall I like a clear, less dark, more dynamic sound where there is good separation between notes. I do like bass, very much so, but it can’t bleed, or be perceived as bleeding into other frequencies. Mids maybe can be a tiny bit recessed, but not much as I do like vocals. I like good extension to treble, but no sibilance. Basically I think a slight V take on the Harman curve. I feel that the Phantoms are darker sounding than what I am used to because they are missing a lot of information from some parts of the frequency spectrum, and to me they also sound much less dynamic and punchy than my favorites (@Hawaiibadboy i blame you for introducing me to the S8F).

But that is just me, and I am thrilled if others are happy with their Phantoms!

FR graphs really are there just for reference. Depending on the rig and how the headphone is secured on the rig you can get crazy variance in the results. For example here is the FR graph on the Linsoul Page for the Phantoms.
upload_2019-10-2_9-15-1.png

As you can see it is way different from the one the guy on hifiguides forum took. So I would take FR graphs with a grain of salt.

Oct 2, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #104 of 198
FR graphs really are there just for reference. Depending on the rig and how the headphone is secured on the rig you can get crazy variance in the results. For example here is the FR graph on the Linsoul Page for the Phantoms.

As you can see it is way different from the one the guy on hifiguides forum took. So I would take FR graphs with a grain of salt.

Here is another FR Graph comparing the Sundaras with the Phantoms from Hifiguides forum
8067aabbbf6700b728fbdc0a3bf361fcf7bab2e4.jpeg

Once again it is very different from the other 2 FR graphs. There are similarities like the dip starting at 1-2k, but you can't judge a headphone just by the FR graph alone.

Sorry made a mistake on this one. Went back to get better context for this and it is just an FR Graph of the Sundara.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #105 of 198
Here is another FR Graph comparing the Sundaras with the Phantoms from Hifiguides forum
8067aabbbf6700b728fbdc0a3bf361fcf7bab2e4.jpeg

Once again it is very different from the other 2 FR graphs. There are similarities like the dip starting at 1-2k, but you can't judge a headphone just by the FR graph alone.

Sorry made a mistake on this one. Went back to get better context for this and it is just an FR Graph of the Sundara.

First graph I saw before it was mass released was buy the guy who built the PowerDAC V2. Looks like above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back