thieaudio phantom information?
Aug 16, 2019 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 198

turbomustang84

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for my next planar Headphones and my Hifiman HE-4XX is great but I'm looking to buy a dual magnet planar and at a budget of less than $400.

The thieaudio phantom has very few reviews but looks interesting so any information on this model?

Or other dual magnet Planars ?
51Q1AvcpdlL._SL1000_.jpg

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 198
By dual magnet do you mean double sided magnets over the film? I think 95% of planars have magnets on both sides.

It's a interesting headphone though. I allmost ordered a set but restrained myself because I have not heard any impressions from any credible reviewer.
I read that the Hifiman HE-4XX had single sided magnets and in this forum post it was said that it was due to keeping price down which I have no clue if that is true or not .

But in the description of the thieaudio phantom it stated it was German made double sided magnets .

I've had an electrostatic since the 70s but have only had the HE-400 and the HE-4XX Planars so I'm trying to find the next step up .

I really liked the HE-500 but if I buy one and it fails I'm out $400 because Hifiman does not make replacement driver's so I'm really looking for a reasonable replacement.

I don't know if the HE-500 is a single or double sided magnet ....

So I'm really kind of new to Planars.

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 198
Using a single sided magnet is not a cost issue. There are $5000 planars with single sided magnets. I think double magnets are likely more durable but single sided inherently sounds better as there is less reflections. That does NOT mean single sided designs always sound better, they just have a headstart in that regard. On the other hand double magnets have better driver control so manufacturers have to deal less with issues caused by flexing drivers and so on. someone with more knowledge might want to chime in here.

However be it single sided or double magnet is not something you want to fixate on. It's not that big of a deal. Both implementations can be good or bad.

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 198
Using a single sided magnet is not a cost issue. There are $5000 planars with single sided magnets. I think double magnets are likely more durable but single sided inherently sounds better as there is less reflections. That does NOT mean single sided designs always sound better, they just have a headstart in that regard. On the other hand double magnets have better driver control so manufacturers have to deal less with issues caused by flexing drivers and so on. someone with more knowledge might want to chime in here.

However be it single sided or double magnet is not something you want to fixate on. It's not that big of a deal. Both implementations can be good or bad.

Thanks for the reply my understanding of the technology should be better because I've had plenty of planar speakers ,.
What's funny is the planar Headphones seem to have better bass than traditional driver's where as the speakers I've owned the Bass was definitely not their strong suit.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 198
I just got mine today and they are great. They came with two sets of pads that seem to be the same. A balanced cable with 2.5mm jack a 4.4mm adapter and 3.5 se adapter. Also a cable with 3.5 se. The balanced cable is really nice as are the adapters. This is one of the best bangs for the buck out there. Plugged into the Kann Cube using low gain they blew me away.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 198
I just got my set today and they sound good. my set seems to have come with extra set of pads that look identical to the other pads. I went on the recommendation of bad guy good reviews when deciding on my purchase. They are light and comfortable, but my ears touch the pads. I'm not sure if I like them better then my Avias. I'm currently listening to higer end headphones in my collection that could be throwing me off. The Phantoms do sound good not as bright as Sendy Avia.
for amps i'm using ifi ipro can for all my headphones. I'm on list for 789 and Headamp gsx mini.
So I'll compare these to Sendy once I've had time to sit between both.
Also they aren't big like Audeze.
No one has mentioned this but the yokes and headband scream Byerdynamic.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 198
I just got my set today and they sound good. my set seems to have come with extra set of pads that look identical to the other pads. I went on the recommendation of bad guy good reviews when deciding on my purchase. They are light and comfortable, but my ears touch the pads. I'm not sure if I like them better then my Avias. I'm currently listening to higer end headphones in my collection that could be throwing me off. The Phantoms do sound good not as bright as Sendy Avia.
for amps i'm using ifi ipro can for all my headphones. I'm on list for 789 and Headamp gsx mini.
So I'll compare these to Sendy once I've had time to sit between both.
Also they aren't big like Audeze.

I think BGGR gave a pretty honest review. I don't have the Sendy Avia so wouldn't know about his comparison but I am pleased with his recommendation.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 198
Fogot to mention cables are nice. it looks like they set it up for the portable person not the desktop amp set up. cables 4.4mm 2.5mm size with 4.4mm 1/4 adapter and unbalanced of same variation. Two cables, one balanced one not. In my cable setup im using the sendy Avia with 4 pin xlr adapter. I don't want to open the cables they came with because I'll end up using two adapters and that's just funky.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 198
I think BGGR gave a pretty honest review. I don't have the Sendy Avia so wouldn't know about his comparison but I am pleased with his recommendation.
I went with his review over zeos even though both gave it a A+. I like that BGGR breaks down times in a song where something sounded good or better depending on headphone used. BGGR likes the Phantom more then the Avia.

My high end headphones even though you didn't ask are
Empyrean
Rad-0
He1000v2
I got the phantom to do some mods
for $349.00 they are built really good solid yokes, headband, pads and the wooden cups. Nothing cheap about them.

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 198
I went with his review over zeos even though both gave it a A+. I like that BGGR breaks down times in a song where something sounded good or better depending on headphone used. BGGR likes the Phantom more then the Avia.

My high end headphones even though you didn't ask are
Empyrean
Rad-0
He1000v2
I got the phantom to do some mods
for $349.00 they are built really good solid yokes, headband, pads and the wooden cups. Nothing cheap about them.

I took the pads off before I even listened to the and first thought was they should be easy to mod. Under one of the foam pads inside I found extra screws for the back plate. Don't know if it was intended or not. I am very interested in your impressions and mod updates.

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 198
Will anyone print the metal grill? Looks like first mod I want to do, but I still want protection.

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 198
I took the pads off before I even listened to the and first thought was they should be easy to mod. Under one of the foam pads inside I found extra screws for the back plate. Don't know if it was intended or not. I am very interested in your impressions and mod updates.
I removed just alittle of the pad and saw why the center of the earcup was so spongy. Being that I have 3 day weekend i'll mess around with it. If the foam is glued in I'm not messing with until someone else does. I like this headphone too much to damage it and $349 is a lot money. That's money well spent.

People who are thinking about this headphone I can say it's not laid back like my He1000 v2. It doesn't hurt your eardrums, but boy it can get loud.
Right now I'm only listening to EDM off iTunes later on I'll on some DSD of Nora Jones using foobar. I've got a bunch of flac I'll throw at it as well.
So more to come.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 198
Glad to see this thread is getting a little more lively :) I'm considering buying some brainwavz xl pads or some zmf pads before my pair even arrives. Any suggestions for what pads would be best specifically for soundstage and bass? There's ALOT of pad choices to go over for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back