thieaudio phantom information?
Sep 16, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #76 of 198
Don't have any Audeze Vegan pads available to me, but I will try removing the ear pad side foam... Thanks!

I think I have read elsewhere about removing grill side foam, but I removed my grills and found no foam.

It's the fabric behind the grills you need to remove. They don't let the drivers breath enough.

If you can't get the audeze vegan pads I would recommend the ZMF oval suedes as a good alternative.

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #77 of 198
I'm really impressed with the phantoms. I checked out that material that is glued to the backs of the grills and it's almost an unbreathable plastic. So I've taken out the foam and removed that material from the grills. I swapped the pads to the perforated brainwavz xl. I couldn't be happier for the money. They may not be the best design out of the box and some of that you can't change easily but what you can simply change in minutes turns them into very impressive headphones.

I can't use them with my cth amp because at higher volumes the amp cuts out and goes into protection mode. I'm guessing from the low impedance....not sure.

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #78 of 198
What mods do you recommend for the Phantoms?
Mods I recommend is Change the earpads while the earpads are off remove the rectangle piece of foam and put it aside. I'd go with ZMF suede Universe pads or Brainwaz xl.
Next take off the grills and peel the fabric off. This fabric doesn't allow them to breath. Before putting on the grills look at the two circle foam location. You will test with one circle foam or take the rectangle foam and place over the driver. You will need to hear which foam is better, I like the rectangle but it's subjective.
That's it.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #84 of 198
I guess going balanced will improve separation/sound-stage and low-end tightness/texture and general PRaT.
Still waiting on my balanced source to release to market next 7 days.

EDIT: I wonder which more expensive $700+ planar Phantom is closest to in SQ....

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #85 of 198
I'd wait for the M1070 and see if they fixed the M1060 if your on the fence. I'll be looking at it.
In my collection I have my end game headphones so I want to collect lesser priced headphones from china or made in china. Chifi bug bit me. So far got four chifi unit see them in my signature.
I think 1060C fixed a lot of 1060 issues with the driver redesign from what I scanned through on the 1060c thread.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #86 of 198
I guess going balanced will improve separation/sound-stage and low-end tightness/texture and general PRaT.
Still waiting on my balanced source to release to market next 7 days.

EDIT: I wonder which more expensive $700+ planar Phantom is closest to in SQ....
The balanced improves things across the board. I don't know what headphones it's like as far as SQ...
For the balanced cable I'm using the one that came with my Sendy Avia's.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #87 of 198
Folks - given the strength of the Phantom’s magnets, I personally would be uncomfortable not having something to screen off the spaces between the grills. Who knows what small metal object on my desk will be pulled in and do some damage... any suggestions for a more breathable black fabric that can still provide a barrier?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #88 of 198
Folks - given the strength of the Phantom’s magnets, I personally would not be comfortable not having something to screen off the spaces between the grills. Who knows what small metal object on my desk will be pulled in and do some damage... any suggestions for a more breathable black fabric that can still provide a barrier?

You can always use an old modder's trick and get yourself some black run resistant lady's pantyhose. It's thin enough to be acoustically transparent but still provide you the protection you want from dust and debris.

Sep 17, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #89 of 198
You can always use an old modder's trick and get yourself some black run resistant lady's pantyhose. It's thin enough to be acoustically transparent but still provide you the protection you want from dust and debris.

That's what I did in my m1060s and it works great.

Sep 17, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #90 of 198
Can't wait to mention to the cashier that I'm buying them for my headphones... I think I'll pay with cash and not use my store's loyalty card...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back