ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Nov 28, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #241 of 1,204
I ended up going back to the w1 for extended listening because they're just so much more comfortable. The last piece for comfort is hopefully will be the new cable that I ordered.

I honestly could not really hear a meaningful different in rapid AB testing with the tips. Obviously it was not blinded but it really did not have a huge impact on my music for me at least. I think it's worthwhile for everyone given how cheap the tips are to get a bunch of different ones and different sizes and really hone in on what makes the most comfortable experience with the best seal, as i imagine that as a more pronounced impact and then secondarily the nozzle diameter

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #242 of 1,204
Does anyone know the specifics of the silicon tips that come with the Monarch (brand/model)? I've tried a few tips so far, but I come back to them since they sound the best. They only provide a shallow insertion, but the sound signature is worth it. I read somewhere that they are Acoustone AET-07. Can anyone confirm?
It's funny that you both ask this. Last week, I was in an audio shop, tried the Monarch 2, and loved the tips. I wrote to the company to ask what tips they use so I can buy them. Here's the relevant part of what they wrote back to me:

"If you need Silicon Eartips, you can consider the following.
https://www.linsoul.com/products/azla-sednaearfit-series-silicon-eartips?variant=35848671559835

https://www.linsoul.com/products/azla-sednaearfit-max?variant=43035732836569

As for the size, please refer to the size chart which is included in one of the images."

I'm not sure if either of these are what is included (what do you think?), but it's what they recommended when I asked. As it happens, while I was waiting for their response, I bought the AZLA SednaEarfit MAX, and I think they're great. Not sure if they're what come with the Monarch (?) but I'm extremely happy with them. I wrote about them here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-145#post-17256456
I am also very interested in this, as I want to maintain as much of the stock tuning as possible. Very interesting that Linsoul suggest Azla, seems like the stock are not available to me.

I had heard from a few posters that the stock are unbranded Spinfit CP100. No idea on CP100 vs. CP100+ so I bought a pack of both.

While the tip and bore diameter as well as the tip height and bore depth are highly consistent, they are definitely not Spinfit tips. Spinfit named themselves after the fact their tips feature an actuated bore end that rotate the bore end (or spin it) based on your canal. This actuator in the bore is not present on the stock tips:

stock.jpg

Stock, bore is solid right to the tip end.

cp100plus.jpg

CP100+, note the bendable rubber transition mounting the bore to the tip end, this is the 'spinfit'

The bore material seems the same, but the tip itself is thinner on the spinfits, the CP100 as opposed to the 100+ is a bit closer.

In terms of performance, the CP100+ is definitely more comfortable than stock to my ear, but this may effect perceived bass a bit. The stock feels 'fuller' in my ear, more noticeable but leads to the perception of more weight at times. It's close enough I am chasing slight L/R mix balances, I'd need to run test waves to be sure. The Spinfit certainly reduces variance with jaw motion (the sound is quite consistent even when eating for instance).

While I wouldn't be surprised if there was some shared production line in the stock and the spinfits, they are definitely not the same as some indicated.

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #243 of 1,204
I'm glad my ears are not this discriminating ahahaha

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #244 of 1,204
It's funny that you both ask this. Last week, I was in an audio shop, tried the Monarch 2, and loved the tips. I wrote to the company to ask what tips they use so I can buy them. Here's the relevant part of what they wrote back to me:

"If you need Silicon Eartips, you can consider the following.
https://www.linsoul.com/products/azla-sednaearfit-series-silicon-eartips?variant=35848671559835

https://www.linsoul.com/products/azla-sednaearfit-max?variant=43035732836569

As for the size, please refer to the size chart which is included in one of the images."

I'm not sure if either of these are what is included (what do you think?), but it's what they recommended when I asked. As it happens, while I was waiting for their response, I bought the AZLA SednaEarfit MAX, and I think they're great. Not sure if they're what come with the Monarch (?) but I'm extremely happy with them. I wrote about them here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-145#post-17256456
I have the SednaEarfit light short and I have used it with the Oracle I have. I have also used monarch tips on them. The sound signature of Monarch tips is slightly better to my ears.

Max stem does not look similar to Monarch ones.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #245 of 1,204
I am also very interested in this, as I want to maintain as much of the stock tuning as possible. Very interesting that Linsoul suggest Azla, seems like the stock are not available to me.

I had heard from a few posters that the stock are unbranded Spinfit CP100. No idea on CP100 vs. CP100+ so I bought a pack of both.

While the tip and bore diameter as well as the tip height and bore depth are highly consistent, they are definitely not Spinfit tips. Spinfit named themselves after the fact their tips feature an actuated bore end that rotate the bore end (or spin it) based on your canal. This actuator in the bore is not present on the stock tips:

Stock, bore is solid right to the tip end.

CP100+, note the bendable rubber transition mounting the bore to the tip end, this is the 'spinfit'

The bore material seems the same, but the tip itself is thinner on the spinfits, the CP100 as opposed to the 100+ is a bit closer.

In terms of performance, the CP100+ is definitely more comfortable than stock to my ear, but this may effect perceived bass a bit. The stock feels 'fuller' in my ear, more noticeable but leads to the perception of more weight at times. It's close enough I am chasing slight L/R mix balances, I'd need to run test waves to be sure. The Spinfit certainly reduces variance with jaw motion (the sound is quite consistent even when eating for instance).

While I wouldn't be surprised if there was some shared production line in the stock and the spinfits, they are definitely not the same as some indicated.
They are not spinfit. I have CP100 as well. And the CP155. I read that the stock tips are Acoustone AET-07 somewhere here in headfi. I bought the Kbear 07 tips which is a replica of Acoustone AEX-07. AET and AEX are supposed to be mostly similar, but monarch tips still sound slightly better. I might have to get the AETs.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #246 of 1,204
Im using Hook X 's stock tips with the Monarchs 2 and they sound great with them. They give slightly less analytical sound on top but still preserving all the detail. Also the fit is way better because it's slightly deeper and more comfortable and secure.

Attachments

• 20221130_231939.jpg
    20221130_231939.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221130_231916.jpg
    20221130_231916.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 2, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #247 of 1,204
Just realized that the Sundaras sound like a closed back headphones in comparison to the Monarchs 2. They create a very nice soundstage around my head where the Monarchs sound like im listenings to the speakers. The Monarchs are way closer to the Aryas or Focal Clears. Just big a WOW.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #248 of 1,204
Just realized that the Sundaras sound like a closed back headphones in comparison to the Monarchs 2. They create a very nice soundstage around my head where the Monarchs sound like im listenings to the speakers. The Monarchs are way closer to the Aryas or Focal Clears. Just big a WOW.
Agree on the Sundara and Clear but that is not too much soundstage. On the Arya, mmm, come on, I wish the MMk2 be so spacy!

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #249 of 1,204
Agree on the Sundara and Clear but that is not too much soundstage. On the Arya, mmm, come on, I wish the MMk2 be so spacy!
Yeah im reffering to the Aryas from memory but i wouldnt be so sure that they are so much more spacious tbh. They didnt make a huge impression on me and i spent with them some time. But agree, im starting exaggerating a bit, we are talking iems here:)

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #250 of 1,204
im selling the SA6 Ultra so cant use this cable.
I was wondering if you’re able to comment regarding the SA6 Ultra vs. Monarchs in terms of sound? You mentioned you’re selling so I guess they’re not different enough to warrant keeping both?

I was deciding on Monarch MKII vs. SA6 Ultra + Variations a couple of months back. Ended up going for the latter, but now curiosity is getting the better of me and I’m taking a second look at the Monarchs…

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #251 of 1,204
I was wandering if you’re able to comment regarding the SA6 Ultra vs. Monarchs in terms of sound? You mentioned you’re selling so I guess they’re not different enough to warrant keeping both?

I was deciding on Monarch MKII vs. SA6 Ultra + Variations a couple of months back. Ended up going for the latter, but now curiously is getting the better of me and I’m taking a second look at the Monarchs…
The Dunu SA Ultra are truely amazing iems. A very lively and emotional midrange and a great soundstage. But the Monarchs are better in every regard IMHO. The Dunu sounded in my head still even tho the midrange was exceptional. The Monarchs 2 sound more relaxed, sliglty more detailed and always out of my head. The Monarchs are calmer and more mature, with more width and depth. They sound more grand, natural and more extendent on top. In a short description the Dunu are like listening to the concert in a small club, the Monarchs are more live-like experience when you go to the a big gig. But the Dunu SA6 Ultra are truely amazing iems.

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #253 of 1,204
Yeah im reffering to the Aryas from memory but i wouldnt be so sure that they are so much more spacious tbh. They didnt make a huge impression on me and i spent with them some time. But agree, im starting exaggerating a bit, we are talking iems here:)
Have all of these and worked around that a lott since the MMk2 arrived one month ago and I was curious. The worst in line here in sound stage, according to me, is the Clear. I absolutely prefer the MMk2 vs Clear. Sandara still holds but MMk2 timber kills lots of its pros. The Arya is huge, nothing's bigger than Arya v1 but HD800s and some Stax.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #254 of 1,204
Monarchs are calmer and more mature, with more width and depth. They sound more grand, natural and more extendent on top. In a short description the Dunu are like listening to the concert in a small club, the Monarchs are more live-like experience when you go to the a big gig.
Thanks for your impressions and fast reply! I get what you're saying about a "grand" sound.

I've seen people describe the Monarch MKII as analytical(cold?) - which is what I'm after, but from your description the Monarch isn't different enough(or just better overall) than the Dunu to justify keeping both. I think I'll steer towards other options as I'm not wanting to part from the SA6 Ultra just yet.

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #255 of 1,204
Thanks for your impressions and fast reply! I get what you're saying about a "grand" sound.

I've seen people describe the Monarch MKII as analytical(cold?) - which is what I'm after, but from your description the Monarch isn't different enough(or just better overall) than the Dunu to justify keeping both. I think I'll steer towards other options as I'm not wanting to part from the SA6 Ultra just yet.
Yeah if you have the Dunu and you didn't experience the MMk2 then i would definitely keep the Dunu. They easily can be an end game iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back