ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #256 of 1,204
Yeah im reffering to the Aryas from memory but i wouldnt be so sure that they are so much more spacious tbh. They didnt make a huge impression on me and i spent with them some time. But agree, im starting exaggerating a bit, we are talking iems here:)
I have the Arya Stealth and the Monarch MKII and like both a lot (they are probably the two I listen to most ATM), but there is really no comparison in soundstage: the Arya just blows the Monarch away. (And most reviewers found the Arya Stealth to be a bit less wide than its earlier versions, which I have not heard.) Now, the Monarch MKII soundstage is OK to decent for an IEM, and it may be wider than, or at least equal to, the Sennheiser HD 6XX/650, but it easily loses to all of my other open back cans on soundstage: ZMF Aeolus, Focal Elex, Sennheiser HD700, OG 2.5mm Hifiman 400i.

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #257 of 1,204
I have the Arya Stealth and the Monarch MKII and like both a lot (they are probably the two I listen to most ATM), but there is really no comparison in soundstage: the Arya just blows the Monarch away. (And most reviewers found the Arya Stealth to be a bit less wide than its earlier versions, which I have not heard.) Now, the Monarch MKII soundstage is OK to decent for an IEM, and it may be wider than, or at least equal to, the Sennheiser HD 6XX/650, but it easily loses to all of my other open back cans on soundstage: ZMF Aeolus, Focal Elex, Sennheiser HD700, OG 2.5mm Hifiman 400i.
The Monarchs don't have the widest stage but they do have a very open stage, that's what I meant. It's because of the tuning and the timbre and they sound life-like. Many full sized headphones surely have bigger "physical" stage but still sound more closed.

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #260 of 1,204
The Monarchs don't have the widest stage but they do have a very open stage, that's what I meant. It's because of the tuning and the timbre and they sound life-like. Many full sized headphones surely have bigger "physical" stage but still sound more closed.
Well, I like the Monarch MKII as an IEM very much, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this (and very strongly on my part).

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #261 of 1,204
I'll agree with you on this one. The MMKII is an excellent IEM, but it isn't going to be competing on soundstage with open backs like the Arya anytime soon.

On a related note, I recently heard the UM MEST MKII, and not to sound like a MMKII fanboy or anything but after 5 minutes of listening to the Mest MKII, I immediately thought to myself that it is very good BUT is trying a little too hard perhaps. It's as if the Mest MKII was colouring the sound a little too much (for my taste) and hence in the process taking away its naturalness. It's as if everything was on steroids with the Mest MKII and thus losing its true form.

On the other hand, I perceive the MMKII as having a narrower soundstage when compared to the Mest MKII BUT then it colors the sound very tastefully. Nothing is overdone and the sound is natural, but fun at the same time. I personally find it to have more of a 'classy' tuning (if I may put it that way) and due to this, I think I can listen to it much longer than something like the Mest MKII.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #262 of 1,204
I'm a pretty tasteless guy so maybe I should check out the meat 😂

How's the bone conduction driver

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #263 of 1,204
Honestly, I didn't pay much attention to the Bone Conduction Driver and nor was I looking for it.

I tend to first focus on what the IEM/headphone gives me in terms of enjoyment and satisfaction. If I find that to my expectations, I then delve into the technicalities. Earlier, I used to fall for the fancy terms, marketing, and advertisements various companies use, or the technical capabilities advertised but after a few years in this hobby, I prefer to keep things simple. I know I like the hybrid sound more than an all-BA setup. Thus, from a purchase perspective, I test hybrids. Only if I like them, then I get into the details of drivers, technologies, etc. I have seen that less is more many times, e.g., like in the case of the 64 Audio Trio or the Final E3000 which I purchased and thoroughly enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #264 of 1,204
I was just curious if they actually made any noticeable difference.

I listen to a lot of techno and progressive house so a bass that I can feel is very intriguing.

Honestly, I didn't pay much attention to the Bone Conduction Driver and nor was I looking for it.

I tend to first focus on what the IEM/headphone gives me in terms of enjoyment and satisfaction. If I find that to my expectations, I then delve into the technicalities. Earlier, I used to fall for the fancy terms, marketing, and advertisements various companies use, or the technical capabilities advertised but after a few years in this hobby, I prefer to keep things simple. I know I like the hybrid sound more than an all-BA setup. Thus, from a purchase perspective, I test hybrids. Only if I like them, then I get into the details of drivers, technologies, etc. I have seen that less is more many times, e.g., like in the case of the 64 Audio Trio or the Final E3000 which I purchased and thoroughly enjoy! :)

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #265 of 1,204
From what little I know, the in-ear fit plays an important part for the bone conduction drivers to work effectively. So I'd say it's best if you could try them out somewhere to ensure they fit well enough for you to get the maximum benefit from the bone conduction drivers.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #266 of 1,204
I'm going to be trying out the Dunu DUW 02S. I like the modular design so I can use it with my Pixel, PC, stereo, and DAP. Just the cable with one connector is 79.99 on Dunus website.

Will report back!

Got these. Love them! It was a little tricky actually getting the 2pin to doc on the iem and they intially bent a little. Not sure if that's an issue with the IEM socket or the cable machine (I think the former as it was hard to place the proprietary cable too just not as hard).

However, once I got them to connect, they are much lighter and much less microphonics because of the plastic polymer coating. I can scratch the cable with my nails and it does not transduce. There are also much lighter!

Update:
There's some static I noticed in the left ear. So far I've only gotten it when using the balanced cable end with my Hiby. I'll need to investigate more to see if it's totally a cable issue. It went away when I swapped to a 3.5mm end. Perhaps the tip wasn't in place correctly or the balanced out of my Hiby is having issues?

Update 2:
This has resolved. I think the termination was not fully clicked in place.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #267 of 1,204
I've been using these for a while now and I went back to the blessing 2s to see how they compare.

These are much more resolving. I didn't appreciate this when I first used them but after having a lot of time with them and then going to back to listen to songs with the B2, it's just not satisfying.

I can't compare to the u12t but definitely worth it upgrade from B2s

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #268 of 1,204
Yeah if you have the Dunu and you didn't experience the MMk2 then i would definitely keep the Dunu. They easily can be an end game iems.
They are both amazing and different enough to worth keeping.
Dunu SA6 just punch way above their price and I honestly like Dunu overall package better, more comfortable, better cable, Monarch had slight upper hand in sound though, not details, they are about the same, but more typical dynamic headphones like diffused and smooth natural presentation, bass in particular is a real stunner.
Ditch that OEM cable though, it's not good.

Dec 19, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #269 of 1,204
They are both amazing and different enough to worth keeping.
Dunu SA6 just punch way above their price and I honestly like Dunu overall package better, more comfortable, better cable, Monarch had slight upper hand in sound though, not details, they are about the same, but more typical dynamic headphones like diffused and smooth natural presentation, bass in particular is a real stunner.
Ditch that OEM cable though, it's not good.

Agree with the cable. It's very high quality construction but functionally counter productive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back