ThieAudio Legacy 9
Jun 26, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #631 of 689
I noticed on Linsouls website the spalted red + blue image has changed dramatically, to the orange / black style above.

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned as now they're avoiding my questions about the color scheme and just saying "we will ship soon"

Anyway... I suppose once they're in my ears I won't see them.

Question : are you all happy with the stock tips, or are there any tip upgrades you recommend? I'm generally a foam type of guy.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #632 of 689
Question : are you all happy with the stock tips, or are there any tip upgrades you recommend? I'm generally a foam type of guy.
I did buy a good deal of tips just because I really didn't have any and wanted to have a good range of them. At the end I usually go with either foams or the Azla sednas lights. It depends on my mood and what I'm doing. That being said my advice is to get the iem's first and then go from there. The sednas will up the treble a bit. The bass, for some people, becomes a bit more tight. It all comes down to personal preference.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #633 of 689
I did buy a good deal of tips just because I really didn't have any and wanted to have a good range of them. At the end I usually go with either foams or the Azla sednas lights. It depends on my mood and what I'm doing. That being said my advice is to get the iem's first and then go from there. The sednas will up the treble a bit. The bass, for some people, becomes a bit more tight. It all comes down to personal preference.
I've always had a preference for foam on most iem's, but Azla Sedna and JVC Spiral Dots are excellent on the Legacy 9.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #634 of 689
I've always had a preference for foam on most iem's, but Azla Sedna and JVC Spiral Dots are excellent on the Legacy 9.

I've heard a lot of good things about spiral dots, I'll see if I can import some just to see what they're like.

I'm after as much bass as possible for the L9, which I find foam generally offers, tightening it up does sound good though

Security when moving about helps a lot too, as in often out walking with IEMs

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #635 of 689
I noticed on Linsouls website the spalted red + blue image has changed dramatically, to the orange / black style above.

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned as now they're avoiding my questions about the color scheme and just saying "we will ship soon"

Anyway... I suppose once they're in my ears I won't see them.

At least they have responded to you with "soon", Linsoul hasn't even replied to my emails for over a week now!

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #636 of 689
Hey all, I noticed there weren't too many reviews for the L9, and I had one on loan, so I put together a quick review. Definitely a decent IEM overall sound-wise, and a solid upgrade over the L3.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/thieaudio-legacy-9.24384/reviews#item-review-23871

IMG_0574.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #637 of 689
Hey all, I noticed there weren't too many reviews for the L9, and I had one on loan, so I put together a quick review. Definitely a decent IEM overall sound-wise, and a solid upgrade over the L3.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/thieaudio-legacy-9.24384/reviews#item-review-23871

Thanks for the review!!

Makes me quite excited to hear them to be honest. I'm a basshead for certain, and given I haven't heard the Sony IER-Z1R, and the fact they are 4x the price (plus more once I pay import tax to New Zealand), i think comparativfely I'll be happy and I understand they're not the fastest attacking. As you mention they seem to lend themselves heavily to EDM which is my main genre of choice. I have the Campfire Audio Atlas if i want "controlled bass"

A couple of questions

What color scheme are the ones you borrowed ?
How do you find the cable - my main use case will be out and about, is it loose, stiff, heavy? Im wondering if a cable upgrade would benefit at all (something lighter with right angle plug)

Thanks !

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #638 of 689
A couple of questions

What color scheme are the ones you borrowed ?
How do you find the cable - my main use case will be out and about, is it loose, stiff, heavy? Im wondering if a cable upgrade would benefit at all (something lighter with right angle plug)

Oddly enough, I think that’s the way the “red & blue“ color scheme has been coming out lately.

That cable is a Tripowin C8 cable. It‘s a good basic cable IMO. It drapes really well, and is not stiff at all. It holds it’s braid well, and doesn‘t tangle easily. Sound wise, I like the the Tripowin C8 and Zonie 16 cables, but don’t find anything particularly “special“ about their sound.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #641 of 689
What u think??

Looks totally different to what is on the Linsoul website - but anyway it looks really nice!

I am just wondering why it seems so difficult for them to reproduce the early models? If they use the same type of wood and colors it should look at least similar?

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #642 of 689
Looks totally different to what is on the Linsoul website - but anyway it looks really nice!

I am just wondering why it seems so difficult for them to reproduce the early models? If they use the same type of wood and colors it should look at least similar?
Hopefully I get pics of mine this week, I've given up on them looking like what was on the site or similar :frowning2:

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #644 of 689
strange how they can all be different. another 2 more thieaudio item coming guys with electrostatic driver at $729 guys.

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/all/products/thieaudio-monarch
I wonder if its using the same DD as the Legacy 9. The site states 150hz crossover so should have strong midbass too. Does anyone know the crossover point for the L9?

I've flicked Linsoul an email asking if it's the same DD, and how they think mid/subbass compares.

I don't know much about electrostatic drivers, don't they require a particular type of amp?

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #645 of 689
I wonder if its using the same DD as the Legacy 9. The site states 150hz crossover so should have strong midbass too. Does anyone know the crossover point for the L9?

I've flicked Linsoul an email asking if it's the same DD, and how they think mid/subbass compares.

I don't know much about electrostatic drivers, don't they require a particular type of amp?
That looks like a good opportunity to use another dynamic drive. The rise on the L9 I think starts about 400-500hz. But the problem with the L9 bass is that slow attack/decay that doesn't keep up with the BAs and bleeds a little into it.

These Sonion EST is kinda different technology and it has it's own power converter integrated. On paper, it shouldn't be need a strong source of power to drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back