There's My Supra...
Sep 16, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #121 of 166
So I'm gonna have to remove the bottom and look for what sounds like a loose screw or something inside the amp.  I went to move it from my desk this morning and, when I tilted the amp, I heard the little something in there roll along the bottom.  I tilted it the other way, and it rolled that way. 

Sheesh...

As for "blowing up", I think this amp is safe, as the following tests were performed by a tech:  Installed 220K bleeder resisters throughout power supply; tested tubes; verified stability of capacitors and power resistors; performed signal and voltage tests.  They also cleaned all controls, switches, jacks and sockets; set/checked bias and bench tested.

To be continued...

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #122 of 166

Quote:
For people who don't know of the name: It's the Singlepower Supra.

I'd vote for renaming it the Buzzing Building Flusher until he gets that pot grounded. After that, I'd just call it "The Audio Evacuator."

Seriously, after all that happened from the video and could have happened but didn't, I glad that you aren't smelling ozone and insulation cooking...

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #124 of 166
Maybe the police heard about all the "bombs" Singlepower produced.  There is a thread about one almost blowing up.  Send them to Colorado to apprehend this bomb building rip-off artist!
L3000.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #126 of 166
I removed the cover to see what the rattling was, and it turned out to be a small, little piece of what looked like white plastic.  I looked around to see where it could have broken off from and didn't find anything out of the norm.

I was actually expecting to see a lot more under the hood than there really is.  Reassembled...good as new(ish) and sounding really nice.  After having heard this amp, I can understand all the hoopla this thing garnered back in the day.

What a Monday it was.

Cheers.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #127 of 166

Quote:
I removed the cover to see what the rattling was, and it turned out to be a small, little piece of what looked like white plastic.  I looked around to see where it could have broken off from and didn't find anything out of the norm.

I was actually expecting to see a lot more under the hood than there really is.  Reassembled...good as new(ish) and sounding really nice.  After having heard this amp, I can understand all the hoopla this thing garnered back in the day.

What a Monday it was.

Cheers.

I'm so glad everything's smoothing out. I can't imagine the buzz kill that event caused after waiting for and anticipating your new toy. What a great story and thread!

It's a bummer that some folks had to lash out with ignorant machine-mind like comments. That comment by Chef was just crazy talk. Should we stop having clothing and shoes shipped to work because one nut job made a shoe bomb? I've had many interesting unboxing parties at work and they usually draw a small and curious crowd. And it sounds like you kept your boss informed anyway. I see zero harm. By the way, can you share a little more about how your conversation with your boss went? Everything's still cool right?

Hello from Portland.

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #128 of 166

Quote:
Maybe the police heard about all the "bombs" Singlepower produced.  There is a thread about one almost blowing up.  Send them to Colorado to apprehend this bomb building rip-off artist!
L3000.gif

Imagine them reading this thread and realizing, "Wait... So it actually COULD have blown up!" Lol.

This incident reminds me of a far less dramatic experience of mine. I brought my ipod+cmoy combo to the airport. Let me describe my setup. This cmoy was my first attempt at DIY - there's input, output, and a potentiometer that also acts as a power switch. I didn't leave enough room to be able to attach the volume knob I had. So just the bare metal of the potentiometer was exposed. I put scotch tape on the inside of the lid to prevent some of the contacts above the board from shorting from the metal surface of the altoids tin, and I used regular office printer paper to prevent contacts of the bottom of the board from shorting with the tin. I used other pieces of scotch tape to hold some of the wires down, including one that kept the LED in the hole I drilled. I didn't even use epoxy. A Cross Roads line out dock was connected to a 1 ft. long interconnect from Radioshack, which was coiled up and tied with a velcro band to shorten the length of the cable. And to top it all off, I used one of those purple rubber bands (that are used to hold broccoli at the grocery store) to hold an ipod photo to the cmoy.

This thing looked like a homemade bomb.

The airport security personnel weren't too pleased. "What is this?" I tried explaining to them what a headphone amplifier was. Since I was with my family, and I was just in high school, they seemed to give me an easier time. They still had to swab the cmoy and put the sample in a machine to test for explosive materials. After it tested negative, they let me go. And they let me keep my cmoy! And then board the plane!

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #131 of 166

Quote:
Btw, some of tube amps got covers. Were those used to protect users being injured from valves which may blow up?

Errr...I think they are more for the protection of people who might accidentally touch the tube e.g. children fiddling around. If it was meant to protect blowing up, they would have to cover the whole tube and if they did, it would generate more heat. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #132 of 166
The covers you've seen may be transformer covers.  Transformers are big and rather ugly.  The look better hidden under a cover of some sort.  Typically a squarish rectangular box of a cover.  The cover can also act as some shielding to protect against electrical interference and hum.

Tubes are usually left out in the open.  Tubes look nice and if they are out in the open they are easier to access when they need to be changed.  Sometimes the tubes can be under a cage of some sort.  Depends on the aesthetic design of the amp.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #133 of 166
AudioDwebe, it's all just hilarious and that's great that everything's fine. You should be proud as the owner of the most influential amp that can make the whole building to evacuate! 

Cheers!

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #135 of 166
dt880smile.png

back in the old days when the AMP WARS were a-raging on head-fi, this amp was supposed to be "DA BOMB".
some time later it came to light that these were so shoddily built they might actually BLOW UP.
and when the HEAT was on the entrepreneur for not really delivering "THE GOODS" he made for the woods like ted KACZINSKY, never to be seen again.

so who can blame them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back