There's My Supra...
Sep 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #106 of 166

Quote:
Very relieved that it still works! I have a buzzing problem with my own DIY amp, but it's only when I'm toucing the casing or very faintly when my laptop (source) is plugged in to power. I doubt that helps, but still... Oh, and the buzzing goes away when I touch the laptop casing.

But yeah, it's good that the tubes and the rest of the fragile components appear to be intact. Is the casing damaged at all?

Oh, and thanks for easily the best audio-matyrdom(ish) story in years.

Quote:
I was really interested in buying that same amp. That's crazy what happened though. 

Curious, how much did that beast cost to ship and what carrier did you use? 

No damage to the casing at all, and it cost around $50.00 to ship via USPS from Ohio to Washington State.

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #107 of 166
Sep 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #108 of 166

Quote:
I then heard a grounding buzz coming from the headphones.  The buzzing sound disappeared each time I touched the volume knob.  I'm having a hard time figuring this one out, although in the back recesses of my memory, I recall having something like this happen in the past with some component.  But unfortunately, I don't recall the component or, more importanly, whether it was something that was easily remedied. 

But the buzzing that I initially heard concerns me a bit.  I'll try shutting it down in a while and powering it up later on to see if it comes back.

So if anyone has any clues as to what might have caused the problem, please chime in.

Sounds like a grounding issue. Maybe one of the grounding wires inside came loose. In my own amp (M^3) the volume knob and outer contacts of the RCA inputs are connected together electrically by the metal enclosure.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #109 of 166
I've seen 3 singlepower amps all with this same problem.  The chassis of the pot is not making good contact with the chassis.
Remove the knob and pot, sand down the inside of the chassis a bit around the hole, use a star washer, put everything back
together and tighten the nut as tight as possible. Sometimes a star washer on both sides helps more.

Depending on which pot it actually is, some have a grounding pin that you can solder to signal ground.

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #110 of 166
Well this is standard protocal and you really screwed up... Costs a lot of money to evacuate a building so that no one can work.

There's nothing paranoid about this... Government buildings cannot accept suspicious packages. crap happens though, I guess.

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #111 of 166
there's an elegant solution to ensure this type of fiasco never happens again.

kindly request that the shipper uses a giant sharpie marker and writes "NOT A BOMB" in large block letters on the outside of his home made crate.

...pandemonium avoided... you're welcome.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #112 of 166
Quote:
Well this is standard protocal and you really screwed up... Costs a lot of money to evacuate a building so that no one can work.

There's nothing paranoid about this... Government buildings cannot accept suspicious packages. crap happens though, I guess.

The problem is that the bar for '"suspicious"is now set so low that ants have a hard time walking under it.

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #113 of 166

Quote:
I've seen 3 singlepower amps all with this same problem.  The chassis of the pot is not making good contact with the chassis.
Remove the knob and pot, sand down the inside of the chassis a bit around the hole, use a star washer, put everything back
together and tighten the nut as tight as possible. Sometimes a star washer on both sides helps more.

Depending on which pot it actually is, some have a grounding pin that you can solder to signal ground.

Thanks for the info, Kevin.  I'll attempt what you're suggesting this weekend.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #115 of 166
It is a shame the building had to be evacuated over this. But I wouldn't put the blame on you. I think the xray guys are gonna be a little more careful about when they call the bomb squad in from now on xD.

I think I missed it, but what amplifier was it?

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #118 of 166

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Kevin.  I'll attempt what you're suggesting this weekend.

Don't listen to Kevin.  You are in grave danger.  The buzzing sound you hear means it's about to blow!!

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #120 of 166

Quote:

Don't listen to Kevin.  You are in grave danger.  The buzzing sound you hear means it's about to blow!!

EVERYBODY GET DOWN!!!

Seriously though, nice experience AudioDwebe. You are definetly gonna teased about this next 1.5 years but hey, its also something to brag about, you are borderline celebrity!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back