There's My Supra...
Sep 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #136 of 166

The covers you've seen may be transformer covers.  Transformers are big and rather ugly.  The look better hidden under a cover of some sort.  Typically a squarish rectangular box of a cover.  The cover can also act as some shielding to protect against electrical interference and hum.

Tubes are usually left out in the open.  Tubes look nice and if they are out in the open they are easier to access when they need to be changed.  Sometimes the tubes can be under a cage of some sort.  Depends on the aesthetic design of the amp.

Tubes were put inside cases during most of the "golden years" of vacuum tubes. This was to protect the tubes and keep fingers from getting burned. Only more recently have tubes come outside the cases - people like the novelty of seeing them.

Funny thing is that lightbulbs were exposed in the early years because they were new and exciting to look at. Now, everyone wants a bulb in a fixture.

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #137 of 166

Quote:
Tubes were put inside cases during most of the "golden years" of vacuum tubes. This was to protect the tubes and keep fingers from getting burned. Only more recently have tubes come outside the cases - people like the novelty of seeing them.

Funny thing is that lightbulbs were exposed in the early years because they were new and exciting to look at. Now, everyone wants a bulb in a fixture.

Well tubes glow, looking cool
Light bulbs just mess up your vision if you look at bare ones

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #138 of 166

Have you seen the old carbon filament lightbulbs? They run at relatively low power and look like a glowing tube. They're not hard to look at and people loved them. Bulbs weren't anything special by the late twenties when tubes became commercially available. Only a handful of old radios had exposed tubes, like the Atwater-Kent "breadboard" sets which are very cool. Everything else went into wood or steel cabinets.

Though the "magic eye" tuning tubes were popular for awhile. If you've never seen one, Google for them. They showed you how well you were tuned into a station and look sort of like a glowing green eye. Very, very cool.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #140 of 166
It hasn't been factory sealed in quite a long while.

But...no prob, as I think I've got THE most famous amplifier this community has EVER known. 

It's kind of cool in a really sick kind of way.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #141 of 166

Quote:
dt880smile.png

back in the old days when the AMP WARS were a-raging on head-fi, this amp was supposed to be "DA BOMB".
some time later it came to light that these were so shoddily built they might actually BLOW UP.
and when the HEAT was on the entrepreneur for not really delivering "THE GOODS" he made for the woods like ted KACZINSKY, never to be seen again.

so who can blame them?

Is there a code hidden in the bolded words???

Teach us of the amp wars, so they never happen again, old sir.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #142 of 166

Quote:
Though the "magic eye" tuning tubes were popular for awhile. If you've never seen one, Google for them. They showed you how well you were tuned into a station and look sort of like a glowing green eye. Very, very cool.

Ming Da has an amp that uses one, I do believe. It is a cool effect.

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #143 of 166
Quote:
luvs2squizz said:

Quote:
Have you seen the old carbon filament lightbulbs? They run at relatively low power and look like a glowing tube. They're not hard to look at and people loved them. Bulbs weren't anything special by the late twenties when tubes became commercially available. Only a handful of old radios had exposed tubes, like the Atwater-Kent "breadboard" sets which are very cool. Everything else went into wood or steel cabinets.

One of my all time favorite tube glow is the old mercury vapor rectifiers (mercury arc valve). I have always wanted to build an amp using this type of rectifier but I don't have the knowledge to safely build it.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #146 of 166

Quote:
when your amp has a leading roll in the hurt locker, you know you've arrived at the top ranks of head-fi.
congrats, AudioDwebe! 
dt880smile.png

LOL! I was literally thinking the exact same thing. I actually just re watched the movie last night too! Classic!

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #147 of 166
There was a news peice awhile back about a bomb scare.  Have you guys ever heard or seen those moo-ing milk cartons that signify you won a prize.
For some reason a person become suspicious and called the police which called the bomb squad.
I think it is better to error on the side of caution when you are dealing with bombs.  So the shoddy packing job signified they were dealing with a bomb?
Funny though!

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #148 of 166
hahaha, the best thread I have ever read... ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back