Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #6,676 of 12,550
I've discovered Star Trek. I don't know what everybody else is doing.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #6,677 of 12,550
I hope you meant discover as in re-discover. Otherwise that would have been one poor childhood you possibly may or may not have had.

Got a really bad bout of really violent...well indigestion last afternoon. Then time passed, had a interview a couple of hours ago. Nothing fun like Star Trek or pineapples. 

To Squeezebox or not to Squeezebox right now, that is the question. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #6,678 of 12,550
I knew what Star Trek was, but this is the first time I've actually sat down and watched any of it. I realize there are some things (actually most things) I missed as a child. Having Netflix and Amazon Prime to let me discover it all at my leisure will go a long way toward filling in those gaps.

Sadly, being a low budget series from the 60s, TOS gains nothing from nice headphones.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #6,679 of 12,550
Hey, nothing against your childhood at all - I spent a part of mine stepping in cow manure on the fields in order to keep my feet warm. 

I'll be earnest and just say that I've mostly watched Next Generation only.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #6,680 of 12,550
Possibly the best thread title in H-F history? http://www.head-fi.org/t/674855/qualified-advise-only-please

Churro versus pretzel comes in at a close second, but the actual content is far more profound.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #6,681 of 12,550
Quote:
Hey, nothing against your childhood at all - I spent a part of mine stepping in cow manure on the fields in order to keep my feet warm. 

No offense taken. 
smile.gif
 I knew exactly what you meant. There's lots of stuff people are surprised I never watched when I was younger, but I figure it's never too late to catch up.

For a long time I actually actively avoided Star Trek, though, mainly because I was afraid it was the sort of thing I could get really sucked into if I ever sat down with it. Also, I was once in nerd denial. I've now learned that resistance is futile.

So far I haven't suddenly become a rabid Trekkie. When I start contemplating purchasing action figures and models of the Enterprise, I'll know it might be time to take a step back. And if I end up learning Klingon, I'll know I've gone beyond the point of no return. 
biggrin.gif

Speaking of which, I just remembered this:

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #6,682 of 12,550
Aug 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #6,683 of 12,550

I was a Star Trek kid - I grew-up watching the original airings (I was 5 in 1966) and I watched it whenever it was shown since then. Although I like TNG, DS9 & Voyager, nothing can beat TOS for me. I just couldn't get into Enterprise, I have only seen a couple of episodes.

TOS is simply iconic for me. Nothing was better than watching Kirk put the moves on a woman, then the cut to Kirk sitting on the bed putting on his boots. Classic!!

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #6,685 of 12,550
Quote:
I was a Star Trek kid - I grew-up watching the original airings (I was 5 in 1966) and I watched it whenever it was shown since then. Although I like TNG, DS9 & Voyager, nothing can beat TOS for me. I just couldn't get into Enterprise, I have only seen a couple of episodes.

TOS is simply iconic for me. Nothing was better than watching Kirk put the moves on a woman, then the cut to Kirk sitting on the bed putting on his boots. Classic!!

Agreed on TOS. Loved the soundtrack during the dramatic scenes....

I did watch and enjoy TNG,  but  TOS remains the best. DS9, I watched a few......Voyager and Enterprise, never bothered.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #6,687 of 12,550
Capt. James T. Kirk doin' his thang...

I have a friend whose name is Thang (pronounced like 'tang') and when I read the preview in the Subscriptions, my face was full of shock and horror

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back