Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3,796 of 12,550
Quote:
I crashed a car, and the finger was caught in the steering wheel as it spun, so it broke in a twisting motion. So it's not the same anymore, there are a couple of small screws inside of the finger.
Why would anyone want to wrestle with a whale? Most of them are peaceful creatures.....I think the only predatory one might be this one.....
tongue.gif

wfjiewaofjewaoifjewqoqjfoegqp :/ sounds very painful. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,797 of 12,550
Quote:
Why would anyone want to wrestle with a whale? Most of them are peaceful creatures.....I think the only predatory one might be this one.....
tongue.gif

That's JUST what they want you to think. But I know better. 

You mean... (don't make me say it). It has been quite some time since I had Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Since TwinQY went on a Pineapple spree (Pineapple express?), now I'm watching Hoops thinkin' about this dang cake with a ice-cold glass of milk!

Guess what I'm enjoying in bed right now :D
Mmmh, savory pastries with a nice hardbound copy of Moby Dick.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,798 of 12,550
wfjiewaofjewaoifjewqoqjfoegqp :/ sounds very painful. 
It is, I wrestled one last week, I got mine to tap out 20 minutes earlier than Twinkie though... he kept going retro gaming style and was throwing (pineapples?) at it...

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #3,799 of 12,550
That's JUST what they want you to think. But I know better. 

Guess what I'm enjoying in bed right now :D
Mmmh, savory pastries with a nice hardbound copy of Moby Dick.
It's late... I read that as Mobile D!ck. :p

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #3,800 of 12,550
I'm surprised how many people here have done calligraphy. It feels like nobody bothers with it anymore. They used to have a large selection of inks and pens and stuff even at my local supermarket, and of course the local craft shops had even more. Now the supermarkets don't carry anything anymore and the craft shops basically have a few fountain pens (if you're lucky) and maybe one or two brands of ink and a few dip pen sets.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #3,801 of 12,550
I'm surprised how many people here have done calligraphy. It feels like nobody bothers with it anymore. They used to have a large selection of inks and pens and stuff even at my local supermarket, and of course the local craft shops had even more. Now the supermarkets don't carry anything anymore and the craft shops basically have a few fountain pens (if you're lucky) and maybe one or two brands of ink and a few dip pen sets.
I couldn't read well for the hell of me... Where can I learn? I'd also need a decent fountain and some nice paper... But after I get some stuff on my list of things to buy...

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #3,802 of 12,550
Quote:

Everything is computerized now :/ it's not like the good old days where people lived and experienced the world.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #3,803 of 12,550
Quote:

Wut?

Quote:
Your handwriting is an order of magnitude better than mine. Mine goes everywhere and is any size it wants to be without guide lines...

Also my gothic is terribad. Too used to using italic because it's faster and easier.

But it's got character! 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
the super cool elitist "we're better than you" Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge!

Careful, you're gonna piss off jgray91 again...

Quote:
KK, going to upload a scan of my handwriting... brace yourselves.

What?  How bad can it...

Quote:
My handwriting (Using a marker, my trusty G2 is in the car, and some d!ck at school broke my fountain, so I got a refund..:

Oh my...  Kidding!  You get bonus points for turning it into a continent.

Quote:
I vote for Jude to be the cute lil' buggy in cell 0,2 (java terms). All who agree give me a whinny, all those against, hold thy tounge.

But what if he doesn't like it?  Plus... I think he likes his current avatar.

Quote:
Writing in my preferred script, some unholy blend of italic and carolingan. Still a bit squiffy without proper guide lines. I also can't spell "murderous" it seems.
The bottom bit is my actual lecture handwriting style.

I feel like a nublet. Need to practise more.

We all need to practice, but that's pretty cool there! 

Quote:
tongue.gif

Of the coast of Southern California, Orcas like to hunt sharks.

Quote:
I'm surprised how many people here have done calligraphy. It feels like nobody bothers with it anymore.

It's just us old farts now.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #3,804 of 12,550
Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't read well for the hell of me... Where can I learn? I'd also need a decent fountain and some nice paper... But after I get some stuff on my list of things to buy...

Calligraphy is something I never attempted... nor ever drawn to. But I do love writing with regular fountain pens. Oh, how they glide across my French paper!

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #3,805 of 12,550
Quote:

Ordinarily I would have recommended getting one of those starter kits that come with a few pens, usually three basic nib sizes (fine, medium, and broad), and a bunch of differently colored ink cartridges--they usually come with an instruction booklet with a few different hands and instructions on which strokes should come in which order. However, if the pens I just got are any indication, it seems the quality of the inexpensive pens that come in those kits has taken a nose dive, and it would be incredibly frustrating to try to learn on such a set. I think my broad nib I just bought writes about 10% of the time, and the medium does a little better at around 20%.

I'm going to have to search the Internet for opinions on which makers still produce good quality pens. I've come across a few different forums devoted to this stuff already. I'm sure the answers are there. At this point it seems like it would make more sense for somebody starting out to buy one good quality pen (and some ink cartridges if the pen doesn't come with one) and a separate instructional book. I have this one, but there are probably several newer editions by now.

Quote:
Everything is computerized now :/ it's not like the good old days where people lived and experienced the world.

I've thought of that, except that I don't quite see how that would stop people from doing something that's basically art. People haven't stopped painting or drawing just because we can project an image of a masterpiece on a computer screen. And while of course you can produce art on a computer, it's its own genre. Even if you got one of those Wacom tablets and used the calligraphic brushes in GIMP or PS it wouldn't be the same as writing it with ink.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3,806 of 12,550
Ordinarily I would have recommended getting one of those starter kits that come with a few pens, usually three basic nib sizes (fine, medium, and broad), and a bunch of differently colored ink cartridges--they usually come with an instruction booklet with a few different hands and instructions on which strokes should come in which order. However, if the pens I just got are any indication, it seems the quality of the inexpensive pens that come in those kits has taken a nose dive, and it would be incredibly frustrating to try to learn on such a set. I think my broad nib I just bought writes about 10% of the time, and the medium does a little better at around 20%.

I'm going to have to search the Internet for opinions on which makers still produce good quality pens. I've come across a few different forums devoted to this stuff already. I'm sure the answers are there. At this point it seems like it would make more sense for somebody starting out to buy one good quality pen (and some ink cartridges if the pen doesn't come with one) and a separate instructional book. I have this one
ir

, but there are probably several newer editions by now.
thanks! My $20 pen was like that... Never wrote right.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #3,807 of 12,550
Quote:
It's just us old farts now.

Thank for the nice comments. :) I'm not old! I'm only 21. My dad got me into it, he insisted I learn to write properly from age 4. He's into chinese brush calligraphy now and is also the person who got me into tea.
Quote:
I'm going to have to search the Internet for opinions on which makers still produce good quality pens. I've come across a few different forums devoted to this stuff already. I'm sure the answers are there. At this point it seems like it would make more sense for somebody starting out to buy one good quality pen (and some ink cartridges if the pen doesn't come with one) and a separate instructional book. I have this one, but there are probably several newer editions by now.

I've thought of that, except that I don't quite see how that would stop people from doing something that's basically art. People haven't stopped painting or drawing just because we can project an image of a masterpiece on a computer screen. And while of course you can produce art on a computer, it's its own genre. Even if you got one of those Wacom tablets and used the calligraphic brushes in GIMP or PS it wouldn't be the same as writing it with ink.

The book I got when I was little isn't in print anymore. I should try calligraphic writing with my Intuos. Never bothered before since it feels strange not using paper to write.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #3,808 of 12,550
Quote:

Calligraphy is something I never attempted... nor ever drawn to. But I do love writing with regular fountain pens. Oh, how they glide across my French paper!

I once had an A.T. Cross Radiance in marble green. It was the absolute best writing experience I've ever had. It was unfailingly smooth, its line had perfectly consistent width and never pooled at the ends of strokes, and it felt wonderful in the hand. It came with a piston, which I used after the starter cartridge ran out. I thought that was the niftiest thing. Of course I lost the damned thing somewhere in the halls at school. Either somebody knew on sight it was worth a lot (c'mon, it had gold plating all over it), or else somebody who knew I had it and who didn't like me (I wasn't very popular in middle school) recognized it and picked it up and kept it out of spite.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3,809 of 12,550
Quote:

I once had an A.T. Cross Radiance in marble green. It was the absolute best writing experience I've ever had. It was unfailingly smooth, its line had perfectly consistent width and never pooled at the ends of strokes, and it felt wonderful in the hand. It came with a piston, which I used after the starter cartridge ran out. I thought that was the niftiest thing. Of course I lost the damned thing somewhere in the halls at school. Either somebody knew on sight it was worth a lot (c'mon, it had gold plating all over it), or else somebody who knew I had it and who didn't like me (I wasn't very popular in middle school) recognized it and picked it up and kept it out of spite.

Big fan or Cross as well. My Cross Century II is the smoothest writing pen I have. Puts the parker I use for calligraphy to shame. Either that or the Parker needs a new nib...

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #3,810 of 12,550
Quote:
Quote:

My Pilot Metal Falcons have the larger CON-70 converter that holds more ink than standard converters; less fill-ups. 
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back