thebit Opus#1S DAP impressions
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #736 of 945
I sent this email to customer support at thebit last night. Haven't heard back from them, but I wanted to put this out there. Not sure how many others with the battery issue have contacted them.

"I have an Opus 1S that I purchased from Music Teck USA on August 18. The battery is apparently defective through no fault of my own and I'd like to arrange for a battery replacement. The battery only runs 3-4 hours and the battery indicator doesn't show the correct drain on the battery. It powers down without warning. There have been a least a dozen owners reporting this same issue (starting near this page of the Opus 1S discussion on Headfi.org<http://Headfi.org>. You guys should really monitor your product discussions https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thebit-opus-1s-dap-impressions.869514/page-45)

With so many having this issue, it is obviously a manufacturer's defect and should not cost me either for shipping or the battery replacement. Appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you,

Pete (last name redacted, lol) "
They will replace the battery, but it doesn't come free. They should get back to you....eventually. The question remains the same - are they replacing with the same junk battery, or something better

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #737 of 945
I have begun looking at 2 Daps. The Sony NW ZX 300 and the A&K sr15. I know, earlier I said I didn't like Sony and A&K cost too much but in Canada our choices are limited. Many brands are not sold here. Don't know why. Where I live the Sony costs the same in Canada as the US. $699. The A&K cost 699 US or 929 CDN. I have also been reading some stuff that says the Sony has a hissing problem. My opus is starting to do the battery thing so I am looking. Any experiences with either of these. They will be driving Custom Art Fibae 2 ciem's.
The SR15 uses the same 32 bit dac chips as the Opus #1s, so sound should be somewhat similar I'd imagine. I'm looking at the ak70 mkii, but it uses the old 24 bit version of the Cirrus Logic dac chips. I think at the end of the day, whatever we buy, every dap has it's problems. That being said, I'm not willing to spend over 400 bucks on one. Imo, the angled screen on the SR15 looks ridiculous, it does have streaming services.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #738 of 945
They will replace the battery, but it doesn't come free. They should get back to you....eventually. The question remains the same - are they replacing with the same junk battery, or something better

My problem is that living in Canada, Canada Post and Canada Customs tend to ignore items for servicing sent overseas as already bought and paid for. They just slap taxes and duty on it like a new imported product. By the time I send it to Korea, get it repaired and then returned I will probably be out $200. Not worth it especially if they put another crappy battery in it. I'll stick to products that have coverage in Canada from now on.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #739 of 945
My problem is that living in Canada, Canada Post and Canada Customs tend to ignore items for servicing sent overseas as already bought and paid for. They just slap taxes and duty on it like a new imported product. By the time I send it to Korea, get it repaired and then returned I will probably be out $200. Not worth it especially if they put another crappy battery in it. I'll stick to products that have coverage in Canada from now on.
What are you going to do with it? Smash it... Burn it, or sink it?

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #740 of 945
I think Music will refund you. I sent mine in for an exchange, but they refunded me and sent all units on hand back to The Bit. I purchased mine in late September.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #741 of 945
I think Music will refund you. I sent mine in for an exchange, but they refunded me and sent all units on hand back to The Bit. I purchased mine in late September.
I didn't get it from them. I'll run it till it dies and then I'll recycle it with a mallet, set it afire till its molten blob and then set her adrift. It'll probably sink.

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #743 of 945

Shouldn't have to pay anything, not shipping or the battery replacement, for a DAP with a manufacturer's defect. This is a $400 item and I and everyone else that has this issue is entitled to the product we paid for, not a nickel extra. I shouldn't have to explain what decent customer service looks like.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #744 of 945
Thebit and Music Teck seem to be doing the right thing. I contacted Music Teck and they're apparently accepting returns for Opus 1S's with a defective battery and replacing them with a brand new Opus 1S. The defective ones are going back to South Korea. Pleasantly surprised and relieved by this. This is what good customer service looks like.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #745 of 945
Thebit and Music Teck seem to be doing the right thing. I contacted Music Teck and they're apparently accepting returns for Opus 1S's with a defective battery and replacing them with a brand new Opus 1S. The defective ones are going back to South Korea. Pleasantly surprised and relieved by this. This is what good customer service looks like.
That's not entirely true from what they told me. They were also going to exchange mine for a new one. But they ran tests on all they had in stock and notified me that they all had defective batteries. So they were sending them back to The Bit for repairs. They said I could wait until the units came back for an exchange, but they said it could take some time. I chose a refund, mostly because nobody knows what battery The Bit is using as a replacement.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #746 of 945
That's not entirely true from what they told me. They were also going to exchange mine for a new one. But they ran tests on all they had in stock and notified me that they all had defective batteries. So they were sending them back to The Bit for repairs. They said I could wait until the units came back for an exchange, but they said it could take some time. I chose a refund, mostly because nobody knows what battery The Bit is using as a replacement.
I posted a screen shot of the email on this thread. I trust none of it. Failed attempts have been made in contacting and asking The Bit which replacement battery is being used. I feel more comfortable moving on at this point.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #747 of 945
I posted a screen shot of the email on this thread. I trust none of it. Failed attempts have been made in contacting and asking The Bit which replacement battery is being used. I feel more comfortable moving on at this point.

Thanks for the info. Worse comes to worse, I guess I'll take the refund if it comes down to it. I think it's a better alternative than sending it to South Korea. I have 2 other DAP's the Opus 1S was the cream of the crop.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #748 of 945
Thanks for the info. Worse comes to worse, I guess I'll take the refund if it comes down to it. I think it's a better alternative than sending it to South Korea. I have 2 other DAP's the Opus 1S was the cream of the crop.
Yeah, it's a killer dap for sure. I agree, just as I agree with your picture of Morena. Both are just straight sexy. Good luck

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #750 of 945
I have begun looking at 2 Daps. The Sony NW ZX 300 and the A&K sr15. I know, earlier I said I didn't like Sony and A&K cost too much but in Canada our choices are limited. Many brands are not sold here. Don't know why. Where I live the Sony costs the same in Canada as the US. $699. The A&K cost 699 US or 929 CDN. I have also been reading some stuff that says the Sony has a hissing problem. My opus is starting to do the battery thing so I am looking. Any experiences with either of these. They will be driving Custom Art Fibae 2 ciem's.

Have you considered iBasso DX120? :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/02/little-joy-ibasso-dx120-review.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back