thebit Opus#1S DAP impressions
Jan 3, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #661 of 945
Has anyone else been dealing with surprise battery outages? I sent one unit back to MusicTeck when I noticed the battery would go from around 20% to zero unexpectedly (with no low battery warning). I got my replacement, and my new one does the same thing. My last DAP (Cayin i5) was also Android-based, and it would give a low battery warning at 20%. Is the Opus #1S supposed to do something similar?

Wondering if this is bad luck with two different units or one of the quirks of the player.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #662 of 945
Has anyone else been dealing with surprise battery outages? I sent one unit back to MusicTeck when I noticed the battery would go from around 20% to zero unexpectedly (with no low battery warning). I got my replacement, and my new one does the same thing. My last DAP (Cayin i5) was also Android-based, and it would give a low battery warning at 20%. Is the Opus #1S supposed to do something similar?

Wondering if this is bad luck with two different units or one of the quirks of the player.
Mine is of similar nature. Also purchase from Musicteck. Must be a quark. I keep mine charged, and rarely let it go below 40%

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #663 of 945
Honestly I'm not sure I have ever let my Opus drop to 20% to find out. Mine usually hits the charger at about 50%.

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #664 of 945

Oddly enough, I haven't let it die out to 20% either, but I haven't noticed any issues of this type before.

Seems that it would be best to just charge it more often and not let it die. If the runtime is good enough, I wouldn't bother about it.

Usually, with batteries, the meters for the batteries can go off. This can happen to anything, and this is best known as an issue in laptops, where because the meter isn't properly calibrated, or rather, goes out of calibration, it wears the battery in time. With #1s, it won't wear the battery in time, as you don't keep it plugged in while using it all that often, but what I may suggest is to charge it fully, reset it, then see if it wants to charge any more, then drain the battery until it dies, charge fully again, reset again, then drain again. This may not be very healthy to do often with Lithium batteries, but it may re-calibrate the battery sensor and help with the dying at 20% issue :)

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #665 of 945
Mine does something else also strange. After a complete charge which only reaches 99%, I'll use it for 30 - 45 minutes, and the battery will drop down to 70% that quickly. Between 70 and 30 it's just fine.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #666 of 945
Mine does something else also strange. After a complete charge which only reaches 99%, I'll use it for 30 - 45 minutes, and the battery will drop down to 70% that quickly. Between 70 and 30 it's just fine.

If it doesn't get really hot while doing this random drop, then do not worry, it is a battery indicator reader error.

If it gets really hot while doing this, the battery is loosing power faster than it should :)

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #667 of 945
If it doesn't get really hot while doing this random drop, then do not worry, it is a battery indicator reader error.

If it gets really hot while doing this, the battery is loosing power faster than it should :)
It doesn't get overly warm. Thank you

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #668 of 945

That is normal - all lithium ion cells have a full charge of 4.2 volts and a resting charge of 3.7-3.8 Volts. So it will drop rapidly from 4.2 to 3.8 and then take a much slower curve from 3.8 down. This is also what is seen with self-discharge of Li cells. You can fully charge one (4.2V) put it in a drawer and 3 months later it will be at 3.8V. Three years after that it will be at 3.7V. It would be much more truthful to rate Li capacities at 3.8V as a result but you still have to design circuits around the possibility that it can supply 4.2V for at least a short period of time.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #671 of 945
I tried optical out to my schiit bimby but it's not working...

I do not have Schiit products, so it would be hard to say what is going on...

is it my opus 1s? this battery drains quick...i read all the review said good battery life.

How quickly?

I tested it with display brightness at max, volume at almost max, and with a lot of folder browsing, it should be above 7 hours.

Most users will have a much lighter usage scenario and much better battery life, upo to 10-11 hours

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #672 of 945
Got my Opus 1s two days ago, more than satisfied with the choice!

I have a question, answer to which I couldn't find in the manual. What are the Vrms levels for the lineout with different Gain modes? I presume High gain is 3.1 Vrms, but what are the figures for Medium and Low gain modes? I ask that because my amp's manual says that its max gain mode cannot be used with sources that output more than 2.1 Vrms.

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #673 of 945
Got my Opus 1s two days ago, more than satisfied with the choice!

I have a question, answer to which I couldn't find in the manual. What are the Vrms levels for the lineout with different Gain modes? I presume High gain is 3.1 Vrms, but what are the figures for Medium and Low gain modes? I ask that because my amp's manual says that its max gain mode cannot be used with sources that output more than 2.1 Vrms.

I'd stick with low gain in that case. The numbers I have seen suggest 3.1 Vrms as High gain and 2.3 Vrms as Mid gain for unbalanced output. The balanced output is about .3 higher across the board and even low gain may be too much for the Amps input.

Jan 19, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #675 of 945
Musicteck may have them or you can order directly from thebit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back