thebit Opus#1S DAP impressions
Dec 19, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #648 of 945
Hello,

I have my Opus #1s since about 6 months now and in general am quite happy with it. However, I encountered strange thing. Since maybe couple of weeks the output volume became much lower at the same settings. For example, I used to listen to my IEMs at the level 80, while now to achieve comparable loudness, I have to increase volume to 100 or more. Same applies to my other headphones, e.g. Audeze Sine and Sennheiser HD6XX. Now to get decent output from Sine I have to increase volume to 140 at least and with HD6XX I should go above 120. So everything sounds much quieter at the same volume level as before. I checked all settings which I could find and there is nothing that can help me to make Opus sound louder.

Had anyone encountered same issue and if yes, what could be the reason for this?

Addiionally, it seems that battery life is becoming much shorter - now it holds for 6 hours at the very best - that is time I could listen from 100% battery level to the point where Opus switches off.

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #649 of 945
Hello,

I have my Opus #1s since about 6 months now and in general am quite happy with it. However, I encountered strange thing. Since maybe couple of weeks the output volume became much lower at the same settings. For example, I used to listen to my IEMs at the level 80, while now to achieve comparable loudness, I have to increase volume to 100 or more. Same applies to my other headphones, e.g. Audeze Sine and Sennheiser HD6XX. Now to get decent output from Sine I have to increase volume to 140 at least and with HD6XX I should go above 120. So everything sounds much quieter at the same volume level as before. I checked all settings which I could find and there is nothing that can help me to make Opus sound louder.

Had anyone encountered same issue and if yes, what could be the reason for this?

Addiionally, it seems that battery life is becoming much shorter - now it holds for 6 hours at the very best - that is time I could listen from 100% battery level to the point where Opus switches off.

Send it back for repair. I had the 2.5mm jack go out on mine and they very graciously replaced it quickly and without any hassle.

Dec 19, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #650 of 945
Hello,

No volume issues, but I am experiencing some battery concerns. After a full, complete charge and roughly an hour of use, my battery jumps from 99% to 70%. But then it's fine from 70 on down.

Dec 19, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #651 of 945
Most LI cells have a rapid drop from full charge 4.2V to resting charge (3.7-3.8V) so that fast drop from 100-70 is really not all that uncommon or concerning. Look at the overall discharge time and not so much at the percentage meter as that tells a much clearer tale.

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #652 of 945
Most LI cells have a rapid drop from full charge 4.2V to resting charge (3.7-3.8V) so that fast drop from 100-70 is really not all that uncommon or concerning. Look at the overall discharge time and not so much at the percentage meter as that tells a much clearer tale.
Right on. Much appreciated. Love this DAP by the way

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #653 of 945
Paired the Opus #1s balanced line out with the Ifi xCAN today and Wow! This is a great pairing. I thought the pairing of my Eartech Quints was good with the Opus but the xCAN really coaxed that last little detail out and makes them that much better again. Couldn't be happier with that as a travel companion.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #654 of 945
Paired the Opus #1s balanced line out with the Ifi xCAN today and Wow! This is a great pairing. I thought the pairing of my Eartech Quints was good with the Opus but the xCAN really coaxed that last little detail out and makes them that much better again. Couldn't be happier with that as a travel companion.
What cable did you use to connect the balanced line out with the xCan? I can't find it anywhere.and am a bit lost in al the cables we need.

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #655 of 945
The xCAN comes with a 2.5mm balanced interconnect cable so no additional cables required.

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #657 of 945
Thanks! Now I'll have to find out if I can controll myself and not buy this....

My advice is don't control yourself, this is one of those rare spends where I cannot imagine you will not be happy with it. I had mine as a review sample for less than a day and sent iFi an email saying "Send me the invoice, you aren't getting this one back".

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #658 of 945
My advice is don't control yourself, this is one of those rare spends where I cannot imagine you will not be happy with it. I had mine as a review sample for less than a day and sent iFi an email saying "Send me the invoice, you aren't getting this one back".
Oh man. Just imagine, if some years ago I hadn't found this forum. A more filled wallet, a much emptier desk, and a more controlled addiction.
I guess it must be possible to find some room for the xCan/Opus 1S combination and just accept the fact that I'm weak and doomed......

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #659 of 945
Oh man. Just imagine, if some years ago I hadn't found this forum. A more filled wallet, a much emptier desk, and a more controlled addiction.
I guess it must be possible to find some room for the xCan/Opus 1S combination and just accept the fact that I'm weak and doomed......

At least you are in good company with the rest of us weak and doomed souls.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #660 of 945
mp3 were sorted prior to FLAC.
From memory changing the ID3 version number using mp3tag did the trick

Sent you a PM

I have this same sorting issue on my Opus #1. Could you send me the PM too? It kind of annoys me. The only good part, I suppose, is that I know right away which albums are my MP3 ones and which are Flac.

I had hoped that the recent firmware update would address this but it did not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back