thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #2,806 of 4,190
I find it odd that thebit are so vague about the differences between opus 1 and metal premium. It basically says "better op amps" better music. Im assuming its a mixture of marketing and very lil differences in sound/driving power. Please correct me if im wrong if someone has used both.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #2,807 of 4,190
Not sure if you have seen but its $299 on mass drop at the moment.

Metal? I do not have a Massdrop account. I have looked at signing up, but am a bit unsure of how and if it is safe. I don't have $300.00 currently so probably won't be for a while at either price. I have a root canal tomorrow that I have to pay for. thank you for being so thoughtful.

Cheers

Riley

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #2,808 of 4,190
Metal? I do not have a Massdrop account. I have looked at signing up, but am a bit unsure of how and if it is safe. I don't have $300.00 currently so probably won't be for a while at either price. I have a root canal tomorrow that I have to pay for. thank you for being so thoughtful.

Cheers

Riley

No thats just the standard version. But if money is tight i would just get the standard.

Fyi: The metal is 440 w/case on mass drop.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2,809 of 4,190
No thats just the standard version. But if money is tight i would just get the standard.

Fyi: The metal is 440 w/case on mass drop.

okay thanks! I just created an account and cannot find the metal. Could you give me a link? I found standard. I can buy the standard from Musicteck for that price, though and not pay taxes. I would pay that for the Metal. That is not too much more really for that much improvement.

Thank you

Riley

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #2,810 of 4,190
okay thanks! I just created an account and cannot find the metal. Could you give me a link? I found standard. I can buy the standard from Musicteck for that price, though and not pay taxes. I would pay that for the Metal. That is not too much more really for that much improvement.

Thank you

Riley

Drop down box on the mass drop page. You can choose which version to order.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #2,812 of 4,190
I find it odd that thebit are so vague about the differences between opus 1 and metal premium. It basically says "better op amps" better music. Im assuming its a mixture of marketing and very lil differences in sound/driving power. Please correct me if im wrong if someone has used both.

Guys/gals, nobody is changing the output power spec going from #1 to #1metal, they are just replacing one $0.25 opamp with another one which might change the sound tonality, and using a more expensive metal case which suppose to provide a better ground, shielding, emi isolation, etc. The cost difference is because you are going from a plastic case to all metal, and CNC machined dap body costs a lot more money, one of the reasons while Opus#3 is all metal but the back panel is plastic to save on cost.

You will not get a better price than $299 for opus#1 from massdrop, but keep in mind for that price you are NOT getting the otherwise included Dignis leather case. If you are planning to use #1 at home and not dragging it around too much, it's OK and you can save money. Otherwise, it's worth getting it directly from musicteck with a leather case, though you are paying additional money for a leather case. With a metal version of Opus#1, for $440 from MD you are getting leather case as well.

You gotta compare apples to apples. It's $359 Opus#1 (regular with leather case from Musicteck store directly) vs $440 Opus#1 Metal (from MassDrop, with leather case included). So, if you do want to protect your DAP and need leather case (it's a high quality genuine Dignis leather case), than we are talking about $80 difference for an all metal body and finetuning of tonality. You are not futureproofing anything or getting more power. Just getting a higher build quality model with some possible sound improvement (can't comment on it since I never compared both).

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,813 of 4,190
Guys/gals, nobody is changing the output power spec going from #1 to #1metal, they are just replacing one $0.25 opamp with another one which might change the sound tonality, and using a more expensive metal case which suppose to provide a better ground, shielding, emi isolation, etc. The cost difference is because you are going from a plastic case to all metal, and CNC machined dap body costs a lot more money, one of the reasons while Opus#3 is all metal but the back panel is plastic to save on cost.

You will not get a better price than $299 for opus#1 from massdrop, but keep in mind for that price you are NOT getting the otherwise included Dignis leather case. If you are planning to use #1 at home and not dragging it around too much, it's OK and you can save money. Otherwise, it's worth getting it directly from musicteck with a leather case, though you are paying additional money for a leather case. With a metal version of Opus#1, for $440 from MD you are getting leather case as well.

You gotta compare apples to apples. It's $359 Opus#1 (regular with leather case from Musicteck store directly) vs $440 Opus#1 Metal (from MassDrop, with leather case included). So, if you do want to protect your DAP and need leather case (it's a high quality genuine Dignis leather case), than we are talking about $80 difference for an all metal body and finetuning of tonality. You are not futureproofing anything or getting more power. Just getting a higher build quality model with some possible sound improvement (can't comment on it since I never compared both).
Everything else is really good to know. Thanks :D I did not know that about metal opus.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,815 of 4,190
FWIW I enjoy the HE560 from the #1 (balanced) quite a bit for causal listening. Volume at 130-140 on high gain......

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #2,816 of 4,190
FWIW I enjoy the HE560 from the #1 (balanced) quite a bit for causal listening. Volume at 130-140 on high gain......

How many volume steps does the opus1 have

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #2,818 of 4,190
FYI Riley, MassDrop is a Group Buy website and are based out of San Francisco, though I believe shipping gets done from the East Coast. They are super legit.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #2,819 of 4,190
FYI Riley, MassDrop is a Group Buy website and are based out of San Francisco, though I believe shipping gets done from the East Coast. They are super legit.

Thank you for that. The only credit card I have access to is my dad's and he is overly cautious ordering things online and he said he didn't like the website so I couldn't order. Not really my decision given I would be using his credit card.

Thanks

Riley

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #2,820 of 4,190
Can I use micro usb 256gb on the Opus#1? I'm thinking to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back