thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jul 23, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #2,776 of 4,190
Just curious. What are the differences in sound signature and sound quality in the Opus 1 standard and the metal version? Detailed info would be most helpful. Also, Opus 1 standard and metal VS Onkyo DPX1A sound signature, UI and driving power and function? Which of these 3 are a better buy? I do not need WiFi, streaming or any apps at all. I will be listening to music only in mp3 format at various bit rates.

Thank you

Riley
I'm going to tell you right now, if you do not have a balanced cable, do not consider DPX1A.
Just go for Opus 1 or Metal.

Onkyo concentrated much more focus on Bal output than they did in SE.

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,777 of 4,190
Just curious. What are the differences in sound signature and sound quality in the Opus 1 standard and the metal version? Detailed info would be most helpful. Also, Opus 1 standard and metal VS Onkyo DPX1A sound signature, UI and driving power and function? Which of these 3 are a better buy? I do not need WiFi, streaming or any apps at all. I will be listening to music only in mp3 format at various bit rates.

Thank you

Riley

I'm in the exact same boat. Deciding between the opus1 and metal premium.

Or the metal premium or the onkyo dp-x1a

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #2,779 of 4,190
I'm in the exact same boat. Deciding between the opus1 and metal premium.

Or the metal premium or the onkyo dp-x1a
If you plan to drive powerful headphones you should go for metal Opus.

Opus 1 is for cost saving compared to both players.

Metal Opus has a single Burr Brown Dac implementation and has more power with the new OPamp.

Otherwise if you just use portable iems/headphones save your money and get opus 1.

If you have balanced cable. You can try out onkyo dp x1A. But keep in mind it cost more than both players. Also battery life is not as great as Opus 1.
1A also got huger capacitors for a more black background.

But honestly Opus 1 also has a dark BG.

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,780 of 4,190
If you plan to drive powerful headphones you should go for metal Opus.

Opus 1 is for cost saving compared to both players.

Metal Opus has a single Burr Brown Dac implementation and has more power with the new OPamp.

Otherwise if you just use portable iems/headphones save your money and get opus 1.

If you have balanced cable. You can try out onkyo dp x1A. But keep in mind it cost more than both players. Also battery life is not as great as Opus 1.
1A also got huger capacitors for a more black background.

But honestly Opus 1 also has a dark BG.

Thanks! That was very helpful. Would the standard Opus 1 be able to drive my Audeze EL8 Closed okay or would I get more enjoyment from the Metal version? I eventually also would like to get a Mr. Speakers Aeon and maybe an Audioquest NightOwl for different moods. I find I don't really have a preferred sound signature in general. My current daily iem's are the Shure SE 846 if that helps any.

Thanks

Riley

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #2,781 of 4,190
Thanks! That was very helpful. Would the standard Opus 1 be able to drive my Audeze EL8 Closed okay or would I get more enjoyment from the Metal version? I eventually also would like to get a Mr. Speakers Aeon and maybe an Audioquest NightOwl for different moods. I find I don't really have a preferred sound signature in general. My current daily iem's are the Shure SE 846 if that helps any.

Thanks

Riley
Oh my. I would say you would be fine with a Audeze EL8 and NightOwl with regular Opus. I tested EL-8 and sine (when I used audeze products lol) before on Opus 1# trial and it was phenomenal. I may even buy a Opus 1 soon instead of fiio x7ii (just because of great experience last year).
If those can run, for sure nighthawks can!

But with Mr.Speakers HP might be a problem, you could potentially run it well with Opus 1#. Push it to limits.

I did a quick search through some reviews, someone ran the Hifiman HE400i Planar headphones on Opus #1 and enjoyed it greatly. I would think you can run Aeon.

However, if you think this is too crazy to (possibly) run the Opus 1# at high vol/High Gain and push her to her limits to run the Aeon. You can go for metal version.

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,782 of 4,190
Oh my. I would say you would be fine with a Audeze EL8 and NightOwl with regular Opus. I tested EL-8 and sine (when I used audeze products lol) before on Opus 1# trial and it was phenomenal. I may even buy a Opus 1 soon instead of fiio x7ii (just because of great experience last year).
If those can run, for sure nighthawks can!

But with Mr.Speakers HP might be a problem, you could potentially run it well with Opus 1#. Push it to limits.

I did a quick search through some reviews, someone ran the Hifiman HE400i Planar headphones on Opus #1 and enjoyed it greatly. I would think you can run Aeon.

However, if you think this is too crazy to (possibly) run the Opus 1# at high vol/High Gain and push her to her limits to run the Aeon. You can go for metal version.

Work seems to be picking up a bit so I think I will save a little longer for the Metal then. Sounds like It might be more future proof in the sense that if I buy some harder to drive headphones down the road. I do only listen my EL8 at well under 30 volume on high gain on my Fiio X5 if that gives you a better idea of my listening levels. I listen between 12 and 16 with my Shure SE 846 on low gain.

Thank you

Riley

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #2,783 of 4,190

Both the 2 versions of Opus #1 are using dual Cirrus Logic CS4398.
The only difference is in the amp section.

The one on Burr Brown is Opus #3.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #2,784 of 4,190
Both the 2 versions of Opus #1 are using dual Cirrus Logic CS4398.
The only difference is in the amp section.

The one on Burr Brown is Opus #3.

Thats what i thougjtthought

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #2,785 of 4,190
I don't really know anything about dacs or amps and such. What would be the best for my needs using single ended of the Opus 1 line? I have the Audeze EL8 and Shure SE 846 as my most used to headphones and I would like to one day get the AudioQuest NightOwl and Mr. Speakers Aeon. I don't really have a favorite sound signature which is obvious buy my 2 current headphones.

Thank you

Riley

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #2,787 of 4,190
Yikes I got mixed up there. Was thinking of wrong opus.

@Riley Beale definitely pick up metal for future proofing on headphones:k701smile:

Thank you very much! I shall do that when I get the money saved up. It would be nice to have a better dap. I only have a Fiio X5 original now and the volume up button is stuck. It at least doesn't raise the volume on its own so it is still good for work. Just a bit annoying, but hey I have something to look forward to.

Thank you

Riley

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #2,788 of 4,190
Thank you very much! I shall do that when I get the money saved up. It would be nice to have a better dap. I only have a Fiio X5 original now and the volume up button is stuck. It at least doesn't raise the volume on its own so it is still good for work. Just a bit annoying, but hey I have something to look forward to.

Thank you

Riley
That is going to be one slick metal DAP definitely take some photos if you can! So others can drool lol.
Enjoy your purchase.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #2,789 of 4,190
That is going to be one slick metal DAP definitely take some photos if you can! So others can drool lol.
Enjoy your purchase.

I will as soon as I get it. It will be a bit before I order probably looking at about a month out roughly.

Do the standard Opus 1 screen protectors fit the metal?

Thank you for all of your help!

Riley

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #2,790 of 4,190
Im struggling to see the price difference/value of going to metal from the opus1. Do op amps really make that much of a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back