thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #2,791 of 4,190
Im struggling to see the price difference/value of going to metal from the opus1. Do op amps really make that much of a difference
I wouldn't get metal opus. It won't help me cause I'm a IEM user. Though it would be pretty slick aesthetic wise.

I dunno, I will take Opus's word for it that OP AMPs will power Planar or juicy headphones better.
Though for something like Audeze LCD-4 I'd rather plug Opus 1 into an AMP. Maybe Metal Opus is super amazing at driving those headphones. Hopefully someone can chime in.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #2,793 of 4,190
What is the expected battery life for the Opus 1 Metal playing various bit rate mp3 files with minimal screen usage?

Thank you

Riley
that is a very good question. Mp3 will save your battery life a bit more than lossless.
I predict you would get around 7 - 9 hours.

I predict 6 - 7 is you run your headphones at high gain. But if your headphones are efficient and with minimal screen usage, you could get 8 - 9.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #2,795 of 4,190
I would really like a dap with 10 hours of battery minimum, but I probably need to compromise a tad on that I guess or pay way more for something I won't use most features on, LOL.

Cheers

Riley
Yikes, if you need absolutely 10 hours without a portable battery pack. Only thing in your reach probably would be Cayin i5/N3 (but even the N3's slated 12 hours will fail due to having to be pushed to it's limits for headphones.) I don't think n3 was designed for headphones like i5 would.
Even the i5 would fail that requirement as it's battery will drain on powering hp like nightowl/aeon headphones.

AK Kann can with it's 6,300 MAH battery. (lol can)

Maybe the Opus 1 can pull it off. But might require some fine tuning and testing out settings for you.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #2,796 of 4,190
that is a very good question. Mp3 will save your battery life a bit more than lossless.
I predict you would get around 7 - 9 hours.

I predict 6 - 7 is you run your headphones at high gain. But if your headphones are efficient and with minimal screen usage, you could get 8 - 9.

Using lossy music files with a quality DAP like the Opus 1 would be a tragic waste of it's capabilities. 16/44.1 lossless files at a minimum IMO. Battery life be damned.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #2,797 of 4,190
Using lossy music files with a quality DAP like the Opus 1 would be a tragic waste of it's capabilities. 16/44.1 lossless files at a minimum IMO. Battery life be damned.
well, you also present a very good point. He has a requirement for battery life.

But I dunno, I would recommend a portable battery charger.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #2,798 of 4,190
Yikes, if you need absolutely 10 hours without a portable battery pack. Only thing in your reach probably would be Cayin i5/N3 (but even the N3's slated 12 hours will fail due to having to be pushed to it's limits for headphones.) I don't think n3 was designed for headphones like i5 would.
Even the i5 would fail that requirement as it's battery will drain on powering hp like nightowl/aeon headphones.

AK Kann can with it's 6,300 MAH battery. (lol can)

Maybe the Opus 1 can pull it off. But might require some fine tuning and testing out settings for you.

Mostly I want 10 hours battery life, playlist support (which I won't go on about again) and large amount of storage. 2 256 gb micro sd cards or 1 standard sd card of 512gb. I don't know what the battery life on my Fiio X5 original is. Never had a way to test it or anything. I know it lasts a long car ride from Stockton, CA to Corona, CA which is roughly 8 hours with stops listening almost the entire way to my Shure's. I have went from my house to Tahoe out and about and back without going dead so maybe I don't really need to worry about it. I can live with 9ish hours. I do have a car charger that I can plug a usb cable into in most vehicles so I should be okay with the Opus 1 Metal with cans or iems.

Thanks

Riley

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #2,799 of 4,190
If battery life is the chief concern, maybe you should look into the Plenue D. If I remember correctly, I think it gets 30 hours. Correct me if I have the wrong Plenue model, or battery life wrong. It should be fairly reasonable if it's still available new.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #2,800 of 4,190
Mostly I want 10 hours battery life, playlist support (which I won't go on about again) and large amount of storage. 2 256 gb micro sd cards or 1 standard sd card of 512gb. I don't know what the battery life on my Fiio X5 original is. Never had a way to test it or anything. I know it lasts a long car ride from Stockton, CA to Corona, CA which is roughly 8 hours with stops listening almost the entire way to my Shure's. I have went from my house to Tahoe out and about and back without going dead so maybe I don't really need to worry about it. I can live with 9ish hours. I do have a car charger that I can plug a usb cable into in most vehicles so I should be okay with the Opus 1 Metal with cans or iems.

Thanks

Riley
Crazy! I live 1 hour 30 minutes from Stockton, CA.
But I definitely would see Opus 1 Metal + shures fitting your battery requirements. No issues there at all.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #2,801 of 4,190
Well, battery life is not my only large concern. Storage space and playlists as well and of course sound quality as well. I don't care for FLAC and such because it takes up too much space and most of the music I buy digitally in mp3 anyway so I wouldn't be doing myself any favors by increasing the file size for no improvement in sound quality. I also like the simplicity of mp3 and keeping my media uniform. I hope I didn't offend anyone that I want to play mp3s with Opus 1 Metal.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #2,802 of 4,190
Crazy! I live 1 hour 30 minutes from Stockton, CA.
But I definitely would see Opus 1 Metal + shures fitting your battery requirements. No issues there at all.

I actually live in Orland, but my Step Mom lives in Manteca during the week as she is a college professor at a few colleges there. We usually go to her family for Christmas and Christmas Eve there and leave for Christmas with my dad's family from there and do a late Christmas a day or so later.

Too funny.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #2,803 of 4,190
@riley

I understand that you've been eyeing the #1 for quite some time now. And you have all of these concerns - and a lot of them were already answered.

If you have really narrowed your choices with theBit brand but don't know which model to get - If you have the budget - go with the Metal version. If you want to save a bit - go with the standard version. Which ever version you get, trust me and a lot of members here, it will make you happy!

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #2,804 of 4,190
@riley

I understand that you've been eyeing the #1 for quite some time now. And you have all of these concerns - and a lot of them were already answered.

If you have really narrowed your choices with theBit brand but don't know which model to get - If you have the budget - go with the Metal version. If you want to save a bit - go with the standard version. Which ever version you get, trust me and a lot of members here, it will make you happy!

Thank you. I should be able to purchase the Metal eventually. That is within a realistic goal for me now that work is picking back up. Work kind of goes in cycles for me so sometimes I have a lot of down time and some times I work every day. Depends on what is going on and what time of year

I trust you and think the Opus 1 of some kind is a great dap that punches well above its regular price and is the best value I can get in a dap for my needs.

Cheers

Riley

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #2,805 of 4,190
Thank you. I should be able to purchase the Metal eventually. That is within a realistic goal for me now that work is picking back up. Work kind of goes in cycles for me so sometimes I have a lot of down time and some times I work every day. Depends on what is going on and what time of year

I trust you and think the Opus 1 of some kind is a great dap that punches well above its regular price and is the best value I can get in a dap for my needs.

Cheers

Riley

Not sure if you have seen but its $299 on mass drop at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back