thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jan 17, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #1,577 of 4,190
what is the difference between opus 1 regular and opus 1 metal and do they compare to opus 2

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,579 of 4,190
  what is the difference between opus 1 regular and opus 1 metal and do they compare to opus 2

#2 vs #1 - both have a very similar signature, while #2 stands out with wider and deeper soundstage, a faster transient response of notes (transition between on/off state of notes), and slightly better dynamics.  #1 has a little smoother tonality while #2 sounds a little sharper, with better defined details.  The difference is not exactly night'n'day, and #2 is more of a high res refinement of #1.  Both have the same level of hissing with sensitive IEMs.

Quoted from @twister6's review of the Opus#2.  I think he compared the #2 to the plastic version of the #1.

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #1,580 of 4,190

#2 vs #1 - both have a very similar signature, while #2 stands out with wider and deeper soundstage, a faster transient response of notes (transition between on/off state of notes), and slightly better dynamics.  #1 has a little smoother tonality while #2 sounds a little sharper, with better defined details.  The difference is not exactly night'n'day, and #2 is more of a high res refinement of #1.  Both have the same level of hissing with sensitive IEMs.

Quoted from @twister6's review of the Opus#2.  I think he compared the #2 to the plastic version of the #1.

and of course, there is a price difference
wink.gif
 where regular Opus#1 is discounted down to $399 from the original $599 price, while Opus#1 metal is $899 and Opus#2 is $1599.  I haven't tested Opus#1 metal, though will make every effort to take a listen at CJ/NYC.  From what I understand, the metal version of Opus#1 is not your typical A&K with "lets update to SS or CU and charge extra $1k+ for it".  They updated opamps and retuned the ckt to make it sound somewhere in between of a regular Opus#1 and Opus#2 performance.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #1,581 of 4,190
And that is exactly why I decided to buy the Opus#1 instead of an AK70, I felt after reading a lot of the A&K threads that they either ingored the entry level or mid-fi offerings, or made upgrades available if you purchased a new more expensive unit.
I think it was their lack of support for the AK Jr. that really turned me off from A&K.
that said, I'm really impressed with the #1, sounds great and good support from theBit.
I'd be interested to hear differences between standard #1 and metal #1.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,583 of 4,190
And that is exactly why I decided to buy the Opus#1 instead of an AK70, I felt after reading a lot of the A&K threads that they either ingored the entry level or mid-fi offerings, or made upgrades available if you purchased a new more expensive unit.
I think it was their lack of support for the AK Jr. that really turned me off from A&K.
that said, I'm really impressed with the #1, sounds great and good support from theBit.
I'd be interested to hear differences between standard #1 and metal #1.

With Jr. A&K convinced me that they had no need for my money ever, though the build & sound quality were both very solid.

Not sure how I would feel about OPUS#1 had I paid initial price, but the continued updates help it seem a lot more reasonable.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #1,586 of 4,190
Giving the Opus a ride. I shall spend a week with it and write up some impressions.

So far, I like it. Not as smooth as I prefer, but lots of depth and dynamics.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #1,587 of 4,190
Giving the Opus a ride. I shall spend a week with it and write up some impressions.

So far, I like it. Not as smooth as I prefer, but lots of depth and dynamics.

Idk how a DAP can get even smoother. Lol

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,590 of 4,190
I take back what I said concerning smoothness. Must have just been the album. Everything I've listened to this morning has been wonderful.

There is some static on the balanced port. That should be fixable with a small washer on the jack, as I think it's making contact with the chassis.

I'll see what I can do when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back