thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jan 15, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,561 of 4,190
It's cool, man. I just get a lot of people PM'ing me to ask which DAP is "better" or "best". It's not a question I can answer, so I always ask questions back to the person to figure out what their priorities are and then give them a couple options.

FWIW, I've had access to both i5 and Opus #1. Which you'd prefer depends on whether your looking for a warm yet slightly dry sound with a deep yet narrow sound stage and the ability to install apps (i5) or a more neutral and dynamic sound with more 3D sound stage that is simply a dedicated DAP (Opus #1). Neither are necessarily "better", and I can see people liking one or the other based on personal preferences and synergy with their other gear.

Thanks for the further info - I already have two Cowon players (PD & P1) and so not really looking for another warm player, which from yours and most other peoples comments the i5 seems to be leaning that way (I'm also not that interested in installing 3rd party apps and prefer a dedicated DAP). The more neutral, dynamic sound and wider soundstage of the Opus#1 is going to get my ££$$ I think and so thanks again for the clarification.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,564 of 4,190
I agree with most of the comments about the SQ of the OPUS#1, but for me the navigation has still things to improve. For example, when you want to navigate by genre, after selecting the genre option you will find all the songs ordered alphabetically. The AK320 lets you play all the songs of the genre or select the artist, and then it allows you to play all the songs of the artist or select the album, and then play all the songs of the album or select a song. I think that's the best way to navigate.

On the other hand, I'm still having issues with the USB DAC function with Windows 10, so I'm considering to buy a Chord Mojo only for that purpose, although I bought the OPUS to use it both with the computer and while traveling, and I don't want to spend more money because the USB DAC function does not work properly.

In any case, it's a really good DAP for its price, since it has a great and detailed sound.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,565 of 4,190
To be fair, this is the only thing that keeps me buying this DAP now that it is cheap (350-400€ in EU).
SQ is nice, built quality is nice, feature list is ticking all my boxes but the UI still feels unfinished compared to other brands, and it has been released for quite a while.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #1,566 of 4,190
  To be fair, this is the only thing that keeps me buying this DAP now that it is cheap (350-400€ in EU).
SQ is nice, built quality is nice, feature list is ticking all my boxes but the UI still feels unfinished compared to other brands, and it has been released for quite a while.

Hi, would u pls post a link with price u mentioned?
I can't it cheaper than 450€. thanks

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #1,567 of 4,190

What dont you like about the UI? I think it works just fine, a bit different than others but still works.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,568 of 4,190
I agree with most of the comments about the SQ of the OPUS#1, but for me the navigation has still things to improve. For example, when you want to navigate by genre, after selecting the genre option you will find all the songs ordered alphabetically. The AK320 lets you play all the songs of the genre or select the artist, and then it allows you to play all the songs of the artist or select the album, and then play all the songs of the album or select a song. I think that's the best way to navigate.

On the other hand, I'm still having issues with the USB DAC function with Windows 10, so I'm considering to buy a Chord Mojo only for that purpose, although I bought the OPUS to use it both with the computer and while traveling, and I don't want to spend more money because the USB DAC function does not work properly.

In any case, it's a really good DAP for its price, since it has a great and detailed sound.

Not really a fair comparison but how does the OPUS#1 compare to the AK320?

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #1,569 of 4,190
No idea about the 320. But I prefer the opus over the 240. Sounds leaner with slightly larger soundstage. But I'd still favor AK players for its UI and aesthetics.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #1,571 of 4,190
Can anyone help me? I wonder how does the SQ compare with iDSD Micro? I have iDSD but it is too bulky for portability. I need a player that is comparable to it. Thank you for your help.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,572 of 4,190

Hi, would u pls post a link with price u mentioned?
I can't it cheaper than 450€. thanks

It was on sale all of December for about 389€ on Audiophonics but it's now back at 420€ (and you have to buy the case separately which sucks).
Europe strikes gain, all DAPs are now more expensive than they were in December, even though it is sales period in France.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,573 of 4,190
Thank you, remastered and uzi2 for your feedback.

Glad the Opus #1 holds it's ground in SQ against significantly more expensive DAPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back