thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jan 13, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #1,546 of 4,190
No I'm afraid I don't. Might be worth asking Hifiheadphones.co.uk or other Opus retailers if they can add it to their assortment....

thanks for the answer. i'll look into it.

Another possible solution, though by a long stretch, is to contact http://www.musicteck.com/ which is their official US distributor.  Maybe they can have some suggestions.  And, @Limu Shirin don't forget to contact Opus directly: http://audio-opus.com/ .  You can order from them, @Whitigir just bought Opus#2 directly from them and it arrived super fast.

Thanks as well. Ijust wanted to know if anyone has experience with Shure SE846 out of the Opus's balanced output...
any hiss or background noise and if there's a huge benefit between the single ended and balanced outs.
THX

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #1,547 of 4,190
thanks for the answer. i'll look into it.

Thanks as well. Ijust wanted to know if anyone has experience with Shure SE846 out of the Opus's balanced output...
any hiss or background noise and if there's a huge benefit between the single ended and balanced outs.
THX

I have shure 846, tried it with SE Opus1. Very faint noise heard, cant be heard if the music on. Also tried the balance output, no noise detected.

For the SQ, balance output sounded more separation, bit cleaner but same soundstage. Thats based on my memories, the balance cable is not mine.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,548 of 4,190
What in your opinion is the better - Opus#1 or Cayin i5 ??

This kind of question is not very helpful or easy to answer in my opinion. I'd suggest providing some context for what you prefer and then ask which player better meets your criteria. Just a suggestion...

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,549 of 4,190

Thanks - been looking at both for a while and have been leaning more towards the Opus#1. Highly detailed with a good soundstage is what I am looking for and so this may just have helped me with my decision....

Cheers

I have the OPUS #1 (b)
biggrin.gif

The final version of the 1st unit with different opamps and a tinge of warmth with the very large stage like the original.
I asked OPUS for the specs but they only mentioned the improvements in their minds and would not divulge original or improved opamps. I don't think the i5 has any ability to retrieve detail that is superior to the OPUS. I think the opposite in fact.

The metal version is going for what the ABS was going for originally so it's worth considering. The Original #1 is very very very affordable now.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #1,550 of 4,190
I had AK300 and cayin i5. Technically, AK300 is superior in terms of SQ to me; more separation, more cleaner, blacker background and wider soundstage.

Now I own Opus #1, i feel the Opus1 is superior to AK300. Much wider soundstage, cleaner, more transparency and detailed.

So in my opinion Opus1 > ak300 > i5
I understand if people take i5 over opus1. Might be the warmth or the timbre that i5 offers. For me, i seek which one is better technically.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #1,551 of 4,190
What in your opinion is the better - Opus#1 or Cayin i5 ??

Quote:
This kind of question is not very helpful or easy to answer in my opinion. I'd suggest providing some context for what you prefer and then ask which player better meets your criteria. Just a suggestion...

Thanks for the suggestion....  I could have phrased this a bit better in hindsight admittedly but I was in a rush and knew @pr0b3r had both DAP's and I was just interested in a general opinion. Pr0b3r provided a very helpful reply for which I am grateful.  I will consider my words more carefully in future....
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #1,552 of 4,190
Quote:

Thanks - been looking at both for a while and have been leaning more towards the Opus#1. Highly detailed with a good soundstage is what I am looking for and so this may just have helped me with my decision....

Cheers

Quote:

I have the OPUS #1 (b)
biggrin.gif

The final version of the 1st unit with different opamps and a tinge of warmth with the very large stage like the original.
I asked OPUS for the specs but they only mentioned the improvements in their minds and would not divulge original or improved opamps. I don't think the i5 has any ability to retrieve detail that is superior to the OPUS. I think the opposite in fact.

The metal version is going for what the ABS was going for originally so it's worth considering. The Original #1 is very very very affordable now.

Thanks for the extra and helpful info @Hawaiibadboy - appreciated.  I was looking at the metal version but can't find a dealer in UK who has it. The original #1 seems much better value now at GBP£399 over here plus it's going to be around US$899 (plus import costs) to get the metal version. So regardless of the better opamps I think I will go with the plastic version if I take the plunge.

I had AK300 and cayin i5. Technically, AK300 is superior in terms of SQ to me; more separation, more cleaner, blacker background and wider soundstage.

Now I own Opus #1, i feel the Opus1 is superior to AK300. Much wider soundstage, cleaner, more transparency and detailed.

So in my opinion Opus1 > ak300 > i5
I understand if people take i5 over opus1. Might be the warmth or the timbre that i5 offers. For me, i seek which one is better technically.

Thanks @irrefleumas - your opinion is good to know as the AK300 had been on my list previously but I went for the AK70 (that decision was mainly based on cost though and not on any technical ability). I do like a warm signature but also looking for something which is more highly detailed and with a very good soundstage - based on the last three opinions, I think I will definitely take a look at the #1.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #1,553 of 4,190
Has the opus any form of bookmarking/remembering where a track left off when you resume playing next time?  Also how is gapless on it these days?

I'm basically after a player that is as seamless to use as the old ipod touches were but with better sound/features.  Put it this way, if the new ipod touch didn't have a camera I would have bought one and been done with it.

Been flipping between the opus and the i5 for awhile now.

Thanks

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,554 of 4,190

Cheers

I have the OPUS #1 (b)
biggrin.gif

Sorry I do not understand your statement clearly. Are you saying you have the newest Opus#1 with metal case or the original? If you have the updated one, does it sound better than original in what way?

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #1,555 of 4,190
Thanks for the suggestion....  I could have phrased this a bit better in hindsight admittedly but I was in a rush and knew @pr0b3r
had both DAP's and I was just interested in a general opinion. Pr0b3r provided a very helpful reply for which I am grateful.  I will consider my words more carefully in future....:eek:

:beerchug:

It's cool, man. I just get a lot of people PM'ing me to ask which DAP is "better" or "best". It's not a question I can answer, so I always ask questions back to the person to figure out what their priorities are and then give them a couple options.

FWIW, I've had access to both i5 and Opus #1. Which you'd prefer depends on whether your looking for a warm yet slightly dry sound with a deep yet narrow sound stage and the ability to install apps (i5) or a more neutral and dynamic sound with more 3D sound stage that is simply a dedicated DAP (Opus #1). Neither are necessarily "better", and I can see people liking one or the other based on personal preferences and synergy with their other gear.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #1,556 of 4,190
Can't remember if I asked before but Deep Sleep is an automatic feature when its idle correct?

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #1,558 of 4,190
Can't remember if I asked before but Deep Sleep is an automatic feature when its idle correct?

That seems to be the case- I tried enabling "Sleep" option in the android drop down menu but that actually makes my dap turn off when I press the power button to wake it up :confused_face:

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #1,559 of 4,190
That seems to be the case- I tried enabling "Sleep" option in the android drop down menu but that actually makes my dap turn off when I press the power button to wake it up
confused_face.gif

Please don't misunderstand.  The deep sleep and "Sleep" function of the Opus#1 are totally separate features.  The word "sleep" was just used for the timer function which turns off the DAP totally after a certain time.  You can set this in the settings menu in the drop down interface.  The deep sleep function is an inner feature which you can't set and see any settings in the DAP, AFAIK.  It just turns off the screen when the device is idle and no music playing.  Saves the battery effectively.  I have high praise on this feature as I don't want to go through a boot up everytime I pick up my DAP and thebit implemented this flawlessly.  I hope my explanation didn't add up more confusion about these two separate features of the Opus#1.  Please correct me if there's anything wrong/misleading in this post.  Thank you.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #1,560 of 4,190
  Has the opus any form of bookmarking/remembering where a track left off when you resume playing next time?  Also how is gapless on it these days?

I'm basically after a player that is as seamless to use as the old ipod touches were but with better sound/features.  Put it this way, if the new ipod touch didn't have a camera I would have bought one and been done with it.

Been flipping between the opus and the i5 for awhile now.

Thanks

Snappiest DAP with 1 gig of RAM (most of the recent droid ones) that I have used. We are talking milliseconds but when you are so used to a phone and it's fast response that tad bit slower reaction is noticeable and I am not paying to wait. Fantastic sound with a smart phone speed is what this is a.k.a what I wanted.  So I bought it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back