The Zune: A review.
Dec 7, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #76 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fine by me dude, I won't tell you how to waste your battery. Your laziness with file formats is going to eventually cost you the life of your iPod. Sure, I'm curious about the Zune with it, but frankly I think that's a novelty. I can't imagine using it, far too impractical.

And apparently, you seem to think you've written a novel somewhere on the subject. I hope your novel at some point included a capitalized letter.

Merc, I recommend you not to argue with this iFanboy. this is a Zune review thread from the get go.

this is YOUR THREAD. He'll try to hijack this to "an iPod is better than Zune in every category" sooner or later.

You as many reviews around the web said Zune SQ is better than iPod, but he'll argue and try to trow mud over this point when even HIS shuffle can't do LOSSLESS. Even after you were (are?) an iPod user.

the role he have a www.dapreview.net will get to this thread.

zip, go grab an 5.5G already and get out from this ZUNE REVIEW thread since you will never buy a Zune since it not LOSSLESS. BTW, your shuffle is worthless for all your LOSSLESS desires.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #77 of 294
ah ricardo. i don't know if i'll ever grow tired of your prattle. your zune faith has blinded you to facts.

i have never claimed and will never claim an ipod is better in every category. that is just foolish. the zune beats it in many areas include graphical user interface, case durability, screen size, and the radio. in fact, i have a close friend that is likely going to buy a zune in the near future - which is why i have kept up with all the updates to this thread as well as all the zune news at dapreview.

the contention that i responded to was that the zune was better in every way when in fact that is not the case. the ipod does have a number of features that are better than the zune that should come into consideration since both platforms are so very similar.

Mercuttio, apparently i seem to think i've written a novel? i honestly have no idea what that was in reference to, but i am certain i have never written a novel, much less a novel on lossless format support.

laziness was an interesting substitution for making things easier. unfortunately i do like things easy. call me lazy, but a hassle is a hassle. the zune software allows ripping in WMA lossless, the toshiba gigabeat s plays WMA lossless, theres really not a reason i can think of to disable it on the zune. no one said you have to use it, but it would be a good option to have.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #78 of 294
Would you two please get a room and stop crapping in this thread? This was a great review by Mercuttio. We don't need your back and forth rocket fire here.

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #79 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have no idea what will be developed for the zune in the future, but i am certain UMS will not be one of them.

Gotta love the logic there
rolleyes.gif

But hold on, this isn't a completely thread-crap-tastic post. I did have an honest question. Mercuttio - have you compared the Zune to anything other than the iPod? (specifically, any Cowon products?)

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #81 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you two please get a room and stop crapping in this thread? This was a great review by Mercuttio. We don't need your back and forth rocket fire here.

Yeah, it was stupid of me to argue back in the first place. I should have expected fanboys to show up. If a mod's around, could you please clean up the argument and return this thread to just questions and answers?

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #82 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta love the logic there
rolleyes.gif

But hold on, this isn't a completely thread-crap-tastic post. I did have an honest question. Mercuttio - have you compared the Zune to anything other than the iPod? (specifically, any Cowon products?)

Unfortunately not. I'd be interested in comparison though... I really would like to see how it fares against iriver and Creative Zen products.

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #83 of 294
there is no reason not to discuss additional features that would make the zune a nicer option. i did not intend to derail the thread, and i don't believe it really has been.

if the zune did support gapless and lossless, it would be a stronger force with the crowd here. once a line out option becomes avialable, i imagine it will recieve even more interest - and that doesn't even require updates from microsoft. i know it is possible, the belkin product has a line-out (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=301311). your review was very good and your opinions of the sound are very helpful but i do not see why we can't talk about what could make the zune better.

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #84 of 294
Do it play FLAC? I know the Iaudio X5L does.

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #86 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune: Scratch resistan body and screen, FM on the player, bigger screen, WiFi, better sound (from the owner reviews on this same thread).

Lossless and gapless are coming Zuuunne. UMS maybe, too.

I had to register to answer your fanboy attempt to dismiss the Zune.
cool.gif

Fanboy.... I've read your postings on DAPreview.... if anyones a fan boy it's defaintly you!
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #87 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fanboy.... I've read your postings on DAPreview.... if anyones a fan boy it's defaintly you!
biggrin.gif

I just took a look at the DAPreview forums. They're both baseless fanboys... both either had the Zune pegged as amazing or horrible before even holding one.

Guys, take your garbage elsewhere.

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #88 of 294
Seriously, who cares Zip loves the iPod? He has a valid point, among the Head-fi community, the Zune would have better sales if it had support for lossless. While I don't think lossless is necessary on a portable device, some people would find it a useful feature. And I can sympathize with the desire to have only one library. I personally have two, but that's because I have the HDD space. I realize that HDD space is cheap, but it's not just a matter of expense. What if somebody's filled up all of the EIDE / SATA spots on their motherboard, not just with HDD's but also optical drives? One might bring up the option of an external drive, an option that I personally use with my laptop, but desk space, added cost, and added noise may be concerns for others. The enclosure of my external drive has a fairly loud fan, which is not entirely uncommon among external drives.

In the end, the option for lossless would be a good on for the Zune, even of you (a general statement) wouldn't personally use it.

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #89 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

iriver iH320 owner...yeah I'm really a fan boy. gah!
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #90 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it was stupid of me to argue back in the first place. I should have expected fanboys to show up. If a mod's around, could you please clean up the argument and return this thread to just questions and answers?

Ok. Very nice review and photos (better than engadget) of the Zune. Hoping MS brings the first update before Xmas. Later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back