The Zune: A review.
Dec 7, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #61 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
capacity, lossless, UMS to name a few.

Hard to imagine lossless sounding better on the iPod than I'm hearing on the Zune - especially given its better dynamics, and generally punchier and richer sound. Of course these sound improvements aren't night and day different, but neither is the sonic improvements of lossless over 325K.

Capacity is the same (at least on the 30 GB version I'd buy), but what is UMS?

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #62 of 294
I am interested in Zune, but I do NOT accept that the headphone out is a good way to go with an amp. Is there really no line out? If so, then it's off my xmas list. That would be too bad.

I'm sure they will support at least WMA lossless eventually, and if they are smart and support FLAC natively, then I would buy one for sure. It would be in addition to my iMod iPods, not instead of it - I would keep totally different music on the Zune. But no line out = no way for me.

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #63 of 294
Quote:

I've had lossless on an iPod. AAC in 224 on the Zune sounds better than lossless on an iPod.

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #64 of 294
Quote:

Zune: Scratch resistan body and screen, FM on the player, bigger screen, WiFi, better sound (from the owner reviews on this same thread).

Lossless and gapless are coming Zuuunne. UMS maybe, too.

I had to register to answer your fanboy attempt to dismiss the Zune.
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #65 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested in Zune, but I do NOT accept that the headphone out is a good way to go with an amp. Is there really no line out? If so, then it's off my xmas list. That would be too bad.

I'm sure they will support at least WMA lossless eventually, and if they are smart and support FLAC natively, then I would buy one for sure. It would be in addition to my iMod iPods, not instead of it - I would keep totally different music on the Zune. But no line out = no way for me.

get the dock or watch for future accesories.

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #66 of 294
Any word on when/if they're going to release a Zune with > 30GB? I really like my Rockboxed 5G 60GB iPod, but I would be open to trying something new when it needs replacing. However, there's no way I would accept a 30GB player. I already have to delete music to add music @ 60GB.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #67 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any word on when/if they're going to release a Zune with > 30GB?

Pretty much my concern as well, especially with a player that is aimed at providing some portable video viewing capability.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #68 of 294
Dec 7, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #69 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune: Scratch resistan body and screen, FM on the player, bigger screen, WiFi, better sound (from the owner reviews on this same thread).

Lossless and gapless are coming Zuuunne. UMS maybe, too.

I had to register to answer your fanboy attempt to dismiss the Zune.
cool.gif

And you registered just to say that? Thanks....

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #70 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you registered just to say that? Thanks....

Zip is a www.dapreview.net regular. He owns a iPod shuffle that can't do lossless digital music but he always talk about this feature missing on the Zune.

if you note his post, the ipod features are easy to bring to the Zune (developed in 8months for the Xmas rush). About capacity you had to pay more for the apple player. Up to 300-350 for 60 and 80GB.

go to www.dapreview.net and ask about him. always praying the iPod player, brand and features as the second coming and destroying every other player that tries to get attention.

Zip, how much lossless files you got in your shuffle 1G ?

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #71 of 294
the man asked what he was forgetting and i answered. i know the zune is a good device, those are just the first things that come to mind where its lacking.

you have no idea what will be developed for the zune in the future, but i am certain UMS will not be one of them. lossless and a capacity bump are both only possibilities and your certainty on them is silly. its interesting you also brought up gapless, that is another thing the zune is lacking compared to the ipod, thanks.

mercuttio, if you like aac on the zune, don't you think lossless on it would be even better?

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #72 of 294
Quote:

the man asked what he was forgetting and i answered. i know the zune is a good device, those are just the first things that come to mind where its lacking.

you have no idea what will be developed for the zune in the future, but i am certain UMS will not be one of them. lossless and a capacity bump are both only possibilities and your certainty on them is silly. its interesting you also brought up gapless, that is another thing the zune is lacking compared to the ipod, thanks.

mercuttio, if you like aac on the zune, don't you think lossless on it would be even better?

Here's the deal with lossless. I like it a lot on my PC, but on a portable it's a totally useless feature for nearly everyone. I used lossless files on an iPod for a while... guess what? 5 hours of battery life.

Lossless is great at home when both my rig and my headphones can retrieve every detail. Also, my Melos doesn't seem to have a battery.

Lossless means DRASTICALLY reduced battery time. There's a reason I rip in 224 AAC: it works well with the buffer size of the iPod. The player can load a full few tracks into memory before having to spin up the drive again. Also, it's a really bad idea to be running around with a player that's constantly spinning it's HD. There's a much greater risk of damage to the drive.

When I meet the person who can legitimately tell me the difference between a well ripped 224 AAC and a Lossless track on an iPod or Zune, I'll eat my hat. Don't start fooling yourself into thinking that you can hear things you can't, bud. My ears are pretty good, but on a portable player? Hell, even on MOST Head-Fi rigs? I find that the real differences between Lossless and decently compressed formats deal with the space and separation of sound in very subtle ways. You'll note in my review that I mentioned: The Zune has no better separation or soundstage than the iPod. Yeah, I suppose you lose a little in terms of dynamics... but coming out of a DAP? The player itself is standing in the way.

So no, I don't give a damn about lossless on the Zune. It's a non-feature, if you think you need it on your DAP you're fooling yourself. Had the shipped with an Optical out it'd be a different story.

Again, about the line out on the Zune... I've got a spare Zune connector, and any modder who wants can try to get a line out out of it. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll probably hit up Lan to whip something up.

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #73 of 294
the main reason lossless is a consideration for me is that i don't like having 2 libraries (as i do now). i am going to rip in lossless anyways, so using it on a portable would just make things easier. for someone so concerned with their battery life, your battery test was anything but thorough.

in addition, raving about the sound quality but then not even being curious about lossless seems a bit illogical.

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #74 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, about the line out on the Zune... I've got a spare Zune connector, and any modder who wants can try to get a line out out of it. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll probably hit up Lan to whip something up.

Soon enough, intreipd companies like audiolineout will make nice cables to break out a line out, I'm sure, if Zune has any level of success.

But I am willing to trade off battery life for Lossless (and I get 8+ hours on my iPod with lossless).

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #75 of 294
Quote:

the main reason lossless is a consideration for me is that i don't like having 2 libraries (as i do now). i am going to rip in lossless anyways, so using it on a portable would just make things easier. for someone so concerned with their battery life, your battery test was anything but thorough.

in addition, raving about the sound quality but then not even being curious about lossless seems a bit illogical.

Fine by me dude, I won't tell you how to waste your battery. Your laziness with file formats is going to eventually cost you the life of your iPod. Sure, I'm curious about the Zune with it, but frankly I think that's a novelty. I can't imagine using it, far too impractical.

And apparently, you seem to think you've written a novel somewhere on the subject. I hope your novel at some point included a capitalized letter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back