The Zune: A review.
Dec 4, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #31 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does play AAC right? (damn apple and their traps)

A little correction here. Apple didn't create AAC. It doesn't own AAC. It's not their trap. Any player can have AAC support. It's like MP3 or Ogg Vorbis in that respect. And like Vorbis it's generally an improvement over most MP3 encoders at most bitrates. It's also like MP3 in that it can contain DRM. It's actually cheaper to license than MP3. AAC shouldn't be thought of as Apple's WMA.

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #33 of 294
Cool review!

Interesting, too. Sounds like the Zune might make for a good candidate for a Rockbox port. I'd be interested to see what could be accomplished with the wifi functionality when not crippled by proprietary software. And if the straight headphone out is that good, it'd be a very nice alternative to the iPod indeed (again, once no longer crippled with proprietary software/firmware).

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #34 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool review!

Interesting, too. Sounds like the Zune might make for a good candidate for a Rockbox port. I'd be interested to see what could be accomplished with the wifi functionality when not crippled by proprietary software. And if the straight headphone out is that good, it'd be a very nice alternative to the iPod indeed (again, once no longer crippled with proprietary software/firmware).

Yeah, if someone really got into this thing and messed with it, I can't even begin to imagine how awesome it would be. The only thing that would halt me from taking advantage of it would be the stellar interface on the current models.

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #35 of 294
Nice write up Merc, like the timeline and pics..very snifty
wink.gif

Excellent impressions both generally and sq-wise

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #36 of 294
Mercuttio, excellent review. Well written and detailed. Thanks.

I wish Zune supported WMA lossless - I can't believe it doesn't. If it did, I'd get one. Maybe in version 2.0.

Blessingsx, it never ceases to amaze me how people associate AAC with Apple. You're right to point out that they merely popularized it. Only Apple Lossless (ALAC) is really "proprietary", and while I wish iTunes supported FLAC, it's easy to transcode FLAC to ALAC.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #37 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the real interface question is, "Can you run Windows Classic theme (a la Windows 95)?"
tongue.gif

It probably has more than enough processing capability.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #38 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish Zune supported WMA lossless - I can't believe it doesn't. If it did, I'd get one. Maybe in version 2.0.

I doubt it'll even take version 2.0 for this to happen... I'm willing to bet it will make it into an update. Microsoft's serious about this market, the hardware itself (while being based on a previous player) and the marketing money they're throwing around is indication of that. I'm sure they'll be cramming more features into the 1.0 as is.

Actually, interestingly enough, my Zune claims that it is version 1.1, Hardware 2.0.

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #40 of 294
great review! though I am most-definitely not pro-microsoft (if anything the opposite), this is shaping up to be the dap to get now. if/when rockbox comes out for it, I'll have to think VERY hard about getting it.

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #41 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i've heard correctly, there is an option that turns off the 'search for new files' function

Sort of. The way I had to do it was by cutting off the software's search options. Halted it from being able to look in files, and told it to ignore its own basic music folders. Essentially cutting off its lifeblood of sweet sweet tunes.

Right now, I have it set to look in just one file that I dump stuff I want to update. Works very well. I'm still having trouble deleting video files and playlists on the unit from the software though... have had to do it manually from the HD mode.

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #42 of 294
Oooh, Double post. One step closer to 5,000!

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #43 of 294
Merc: First of all... thanks for that great review. I was looking for a replacement for my 5gen iPod and I think I've found it. I have read lots of reviews about it but none of them mentions the sq (in a headfi way of course) and it's great to hear your comments about that.
I wanted to ask you something: Have you tried the Zune with a pair of Senns hd595? I'm very interested to hear some reviews about the sinergy between the two since the 595's are the headphones I'm using the most right now. Other question: is there a line out dock (like the ones you use to connect the ipod to an amp) for the Zune? Do you know someone who makes them?
That's all , thanks again.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #44 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastianbf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Merc: First of all... thanks for that great review. I was looking for a replacement for my 5gen iPod and I think I've found it. I have read lots of reviews about it but none of them mentions the sq (in a headfi way of course) and it's great to hear your comments about that.
I wanted to ask you something: Have you tried the Zune with a pair of Senns hd595? I'm very interested to hear some reviews about the sinergy between the two since the 595's are the headphones I'm using the most right now. Other question: is there a line out dock (like the ones you use to connect the ipod to an amp) for the Zune? Do you know someone who makes them?
That's all , thanks again.

That was my problem too. I saw all sorts of stuff trashing the iTunes knockoff store... but the actual player was skimped over with usual remarks of "Sounds on par with iPod" at best. Sorry mac, you'll need something with slightly more fidelity than a Bose Triport to discern audio quality.

I haven't tried them with the 595, no. Heck, I'd guess that you'd be the first around here to try the combo. Since the Zune sounds good on a phone as revealing as the ER4P (though a little bright if your ears are in a funky mood or the music is recorded poorly), I'd guess that the 595 would do well with it. It's certainly a dynamic player.

I don't think there are any line outs yet... but I could be wrong. The new dock for it might have line out, I haven't checked. Really though, the sound coming out of the headphone jack may just be clean enough to amp directly.

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #45 of 294
I've been looking at all the DAPs since my 20GB 4G iPod was stolen. I want to love the Zune so badly (being anti-iPod), but I still can't decide.

I was never fully satisfied with my Westone UM1's straight out of the 4G iPod headphone out. I'm unsure if the 5.5G iPod will be any better.

Also, is there easy software out there to remove the security on music bought from the iTunes store? I have bought a few rare songs there, and would like to be able to use them on a Zune.

Question 2: It is important to have external hard drive functionality so I can put data files on it, and then access it at another computer. You mention you can have hard drive functionality through registry edits. Would you have to do this with every computer you use?

Currently I'm enjoying my UM1's with my PSP as a backup music device, but the 4GB memstick storage is rather small, and the fact that the playlist restarts everytime you turn the PSP off is annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back