The Zune: A review.
Dec 8, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #91 of 294
no gapless, simply won't consider. I have the feature and I will never part.

Dec 8, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #93 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the fact that it doesnt have gapless is a downfall (i loved it on my karma) but i have already gotten used to the gaps and dont really notice them anymore

Ditto, I kind of got used to that on the iPod. The main thing I was looking for was sound quality. If the 5G iPod could be updated for gapless, I have no doubt that the Zune could as well... the first batch of updates are going to be massive, I'm sure. Get the product out the door, make sure it works, then make it rock through updates.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #95 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hope that the updates include more supported video formats as well as lossless codecs.

Entirely possible. I'd also like to be able to delete stuff on the actual player, and have full playlist control on it.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #97 of 294
Thanks for the great review Mercuttio. I will be getting my Zune this weekend, hopefully it will all go great paired up with a pair of V-Moda Vibes...
340smile.gif

*lol I've been here a year and this is my first time posting. Thanks Head-Fi for all the helpful info on here.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #98 of 294
Thanks for the review. It really shows that you've taken the time to listen and see what you think and you've presented it in what appears to be a honest and unbiased (or as unbiased as anyone can ever get) way.

When the Zune was first announced I wasn't too sure about it but after reading about what they are doing it does sound better and better. I think I'll wait off till they have release 2 of the hardware and a larger hard drive for me to fill (added to the fact it's not released in Europe yet anyway) but I think this could be my next DAP.

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #99 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. It really shows that you've taken the time to listen and see what you think and you've presented it in what appears to be a honest and unbiased (or as unbiased as anyone can ever get) way.

When the Zune was first announced I wasn't too sure about it but after reading about what they are doing it does sound better and better. I think I'll wait off till they have release 2 of the hardware and a larger hard drive for me to fill (added to the fact it's not released in Europe yet anyway) but I think this could be my next DAP.

It's hard to say how the second Zune will sound, since this model is based on another player from another company... the Gigabeat. If Microsoft decides to make their own internals (didn't they do this with the Xbox360, as opposed to the Xbox?) the player might sound different.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #100 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard to say how the second Zune will sound, since this model is based on another player from another company... the Gigabeat. If Microsoft decides to make their own internals (didn't they do this with the Xbox360, as opposed to the Xbox?) the player might sound different.

Is that right? Zune is essentially an OEM'd GigaBeat? I did not know that...

In that case, there is hope for a larger capacity one soon - that would be nice.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #101 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that right? Zune is essentially an OEM'd GigaBeat? I did not know that...

In that case, there is hope for a larger capacity one soon - that would be nice.

It's a shame that those HD replacements are so expensive... I'd love to throw an 80 gig HD in mine. It seems like a fairly easy to take apart unit, so we'll have to see what the future holds for it... at the very least, the battery should be easy to replace.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #103 of 294
I heard that when the Zune software adds your music onto the Zune hardware, it DRMs it automatically. Does this mean you cannot put music onto to the Zune and then transfer it to another computer?

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #104 of 294
Hey there - I'm now audiophile, but I registered just to answer this question. Hope that's ok - we'll be linking to this article over on Zune Thoughts because it's quite good and the first I've read from a really hardcore audio type. Good stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that when the Zune software adds your music onto the Zune hardware, it DRMs it automatically. Does this mean you cannot put music onto to the Zune and then transfer it to another computer?

No, that's not the case at all. Music that you rip with the Zune software has no DRM, in fact it's not even an option like it is with WMP11. Music added to the Zune library has no DRM added. Music put onto the Zune has no DRM. The ONLY DRM with the Zune is that when you are sent a song via WiFi, the Zune Inbox knows that it can only keep that song for three days or three plays - then it will no longer work. Interestingly, the Zune doesn't alter the audio file in any way like many people thought it did - it's just the Zune Inbox that applies the DRM.

Jason Dunn
Executive Editor, Zune Thoughts
www.zunethoughts.com
Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #105 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
especially since it uses the same battery as the ipod.

Are you saying the Zune uses the same battery as the iPod? That's not true at all - the Zune uses an 800 mAH battery, while the iPod uses a 400 mAH battery. Here's a great article on the hardware in the Zune - many of you would probably find it interesting, it's pretty hardcore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back